My case for Sanctuaries. (long read) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just Tap It
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-10-13, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: My case for Sanctuaries. (long read)

I like this thread
Old 2012-10-13, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Morsong
Sergeant

I played the original PS but still haven't played PS2. I agree with your post, and it's very important for each faction to have "their home". The concept art you provided is awesome, and if done right it could feel more like an MMO. I see more pros than cons with your post, and that is a good thing. Great post!
Old 2012-10-13, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
ringring
Contributor
General

You've touched on it but the Devs see 'time to get into the action' as one of the reasons why Planetside wasn't as successful as it was.

We've even heard that a significant number of people starting to play Planetside couldn't get out of Sanctuaries and seemingly thought Sanctuaries was the whole game!

So, if we are going to see Sanc return we should argue on the basis that 'time to get into the action' is key, but that Sancuaries are not, or need not be the barrier that the Devs appear to think it is.
Old 2012-10-13, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Illtempered
First Sergeant

You're hired.
Old 2012-10-13, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
You've touched on it but the Devs see 'time to get into the action' as one of the reasons why Planetside wasn't as successful as it was.

We've even heard that a significant number of people starting to play Planetside couldn't get out of Sanctuaries and seemingly thought Sanctuaries was the whole game!

So, if we are going to see Sanc return we should argue on the basis that 'time to get into the action' is key, but that Sancuaries are not, or need not be the barrier that the Devs appear to think it is.
Indeed, which is why I keep suggesting Sanctuary Ships "Orbiting" from Continent to Continent.

It comes with an easy explanation for how to get into the fight, you're in SPACE and need to drop down to Planetside (GET IT?!?!).

Right now the only thing Warpgates do is allow you to walk to a fight if you need to... which still could require a long time to "get into the Action" depending on where the Front is.

Not only that, but Mobile Sanctuaries help prevent stagnation, constantly changing what Territory you can easily keep control of instead of sitting on the same side of the map for weeks on end.
Old 2012-10-13, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

A very good case imo

The question is not why should we have sancs, but why the f not?

Old 2012-10-13, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Ruffdog View Post
A very good case imo

The question is not why should we have sancs, but why the f not?
The only reason I see is that we don't have enough Continents...

I mean, with only three, it'd be just the same as having the current Warpgates on each.
Old 2012-10-13, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
The only reason I see is that we don't have enough Continents...

I mean, with only three, it'd be just the same as having the current Warpgates on each.
Actually the issue with having a "sanc" on each continent is that it means the continents must be balanced.

In the first Planetside Continents were not balanced, warpgate could sometimes be direct links to dropship/tech or sometimes you might have to fight for 3 bases before getting a tech much less a dropship.

If the continents each have a Foothold on them but are not balanced then it will be easier to hold one and harder to defend another continent.

I think the one foothold per continent is not going to fix the issue and instead cause more. Individual Sancs are the best option all things considered.
Old 2012-10-13, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
Actually the issue with having a "sanc" on each continent is that it means the continents must be balanced.

In the first Planetside Continents were not balanced, warpgate could sometimes be direct links to dropship/tech or sometimes you might have to fight for 3 bases before getting a tech much less a dropship.

If the continents each have a Foothold on them but are not balanced then it will be easier to hold one and harder to defend another continent.

I think the one foothold per continent is not going to fix the issue and instead cause more. Individual Sancs are the best option all things considered.
But that's the problem, having one Sanctuary link up to both current Warpgates isn't going to be any different then just having the Warpgates as they are now...

We just don't have the web-way of the old Warpgate network, with it's multiple pathways over many Continents.

Hence my idea for "Orbital Sanctuary Ships" that are constantly moving between Continents and drop podding Troops Planetside, it prevents stagnation and makes it much harder to lock another faction in.
Old 2012-10-14, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
KingQuicksilver
Private

Noob PS player here, so I never experienced these Sanctuary's. But I do like this idea, I think this included with the possibility of losing your foot-hold/warpgate would encourage people to populate and actually fight over continents dominated by other factions *Cough* Esamir, 74% NC *Cough*.
Old 2012-10-14, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by KingQuicksilver View Post
Noob PS player here, so I never experienced these Sanctuary's. But I do like this idea, I think this included with the possibility of losing your foot-hold/warpgate would encourage people to populate and actually fight over continents dominated by other factions *Cough* Esamir, 74% NC *Cough*.
Yeah, and I think that's how it worked in the Orignal, you could push someone back through a Warpgate to another Continent, effectively locking them out of the one you are on...

...But the Original Planetside had about, what, 11 Continents with three Warpgates connecting each Sanctuary to three different Continents?
Those were then further connected through other Warpgates to the rest of the Continents.
Thus you had multiple routes to take over multiple islands, instead of just going in the cardinal direction of the other guys.
Old 2012-10-14, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Higby, make it so!
Old 2012-10-14, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Redshift
Major

Awesome idea's, lets hope it's not too late for the devs to fix their issues
Old 2012-10-14, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

This is an example of telling the player about backstory without using text which is normally something that games struggle with. It also adds an area that won't change and will lend itself to adding a tutorial.

The issue is not quickly getting into the fight. The issue is there needs to be a tutorial that effectively introduces players to the game.

Footholds are serving their purpose as staging points for quickly getting into the fight at the moment but that role will breakdown once multiple conts and movement come into the game. If the fight has moved off say Amerish and is happening on Indar and Esamir then people logging into the game who spawn by default at Amerish will have to know to jump to one of the other conts to find a fight which they will not.

I knew some guys back in PS1 who would idle in the sancs just to pass the time as they did other things. I learned this because they complained about how the ads that were added had audio broadcasting and it ruined it for them. You are not building an arena fps, you are building a world.
Old 2012-10-14, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
This is an example of telling the player about backstory without using text which is normally something that games struggle with. It also adds an area that won't change and will lend itself to adding a tutorial.

The issue is not quickly getting into the fight. The issue is there needs to be a tutorial that effectively introduces players to the game.

Footholds are serving their purpose as staging points for quickly getting into the fight at the moment but that role will breakdown once multiple conts and movement come into the game. If the fight has moved off say Amerish and is happening on Indar and Esamir then people logging into the game who spawn by default at Amerish will have to know to jump to one of the other conts to find a fight which they will not.

I knew some guys back in PS1 who would idle in the sancs just to pass the time as they did other things. I learned this because they complained about how the ads that were added had audio broadcasting and it ruined it for them. You are not building an arena fps, you are building a world.
/slow clap and signature
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion