NPC's in planetside? - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Its gameover man, its gameover!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-20, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #196
Fortress
Sergeant

Re: NPC's in planetside?

koala's are too small to support a cloaking generator

cmon bro that's like 5th grade science
Old 2012-02-20, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #197
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
This thread is about as fucking stupid as one of Traak's bigoted dissertations on why women are naturally whores, guns are for Jesus/Jesus is for guns, or anything dealing with the Bible and science.
Are you saying that both the bible and science are stupid individually, or that the confrontations that take place between the two are stupid? Please clarify.
Old 2012-02-20, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #198
Cobalt
Private

Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
koala's are too small to support a cloaking generator

cmon bro that's like 5th grade science
If a small group of 4 - 6 koala's carried a larger cloaking generator between them, it could easily be done, i'd show you the math but science frightens me.

Also, if one of them was a wizard, well...

Last edited by Cobalt; 2012-02-20 at 07:11 PM.
Old 2012-02-20, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #199
Hamma
PSU Admin

Going to lock this if it doesn't get on to some kind of topic

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-20, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #200
WaryWizard
Sergeant

So NPCs good or bad

post all reasons below
Old 2012-02-20, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #201
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Going to lock this if it doesn't get on to some kind of topic
It's on the topic of Fucking Stupid. Does that count?
Old 2012-02-20, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #202
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

NPC's are cool if they fulfill the following requirements:

1.) They don't take up any bandwidth that could instead be used for PvP focused activities.
2.) They are purely aesthetic with no impact on actual gameplay.
3.) They serve some purpose.

Seeing as #1 is impossible, and #'s 2 and 3 together fry robot brains and create distortions in time/space, my vote is no.

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2012-02-20 at 08:34 PM.
Old 2012-02-20, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #203
Neksar
Corporal

Originally Posted by CidHighwind View Post
NPC's are cool if they fulfill the following requirements:

1.) They don't take up any bandwidth that could instead be used for PvP focused activities.
2.) They are purely aesthetic with no impact on actual gameplay.
3.) They serve some purpose.

Seeing as #1 is impossible, and #'s 2 and 3 together fry robot brains and create distortions in time/space, my vote is no.
Nah, #2 isn't inconsistent with #3 if their purpose is to be aesthetic and add atmosphere. I just find it odd that a planet has plants but not animals. *shrug*
Old 2012-02-20, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #204
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Maybe the plants ate all the animals.
Old 2012-02-20, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #205
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by jakaul View Post
Can I trade you like a wagon wheel for 17 bushels of oats? I broke my wheel and my repair skill isn't what it should be.
I have wood for sheep.

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
That's the risk you run with ANY new content at all.

After all, why even add new continents when all it will do is just split the playerbase?
New continents for players to fight over is still part of the same game - PvP conquest.

By splitting the player base by creating 2 different games within PS2 I meant that some players would participate in the fight for territory while other sugar-butted dragon-diddlers fapped the wildebeests.

Originally Posted by jakaul View Post
. . . Or people that WERE fighting my group decide they can't win and go PvE it up for 30 minutes leaving us to hang out and have a dick measuring contest. Great...
This.
Old 2012-02-20, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #206
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
New continents for players to fight over is still part of the same game - PvP conquest.

By splitting the player base by creating 2 different games within PS2 I meant that some players would participate in the fight for territory while other sugar-butted dragon-diddlers fapped the wildebeests.
Um, who says the PvE content can't contribute to the over all state of the game?

Of course it would still split the audience. Since now we'd have less players involved in the same objectives.
Old 2012-02-21, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #207
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
This.

If they want planetside 2 then vets are essential otherwise it will be wow with guns.
This is such a blisteringly asinine statement that it's all the more evidence to me that PS1 vets will be more of a burden than a help. Adding in NPCs which do not fight at all and which merely offer more complex game objectives will turn this into "WoW with guns"? Do you really mean that? I mean, you're using a computer so I assume your brain works well enough to see how that's a balls-out retarded thing to say.

Being outright opposed to anything which differs from PS1 isn't helpful. PS2 will need more complex "game modes" as such. You can't just expect simple cap-and-hold objectives to be the pinnacle of MMOFPS gameplay. How long was it before deathmatch was replaced by team deathmatch, and then stuff like king of the hill, or payload, or capture the flag became the gameplay du jour?

Having NPCs and stuff which have a purpose insofar as objectives are concerned but which do not fight in any way would enable something more complex than hack a console, wait 30 minutes. Giving that possibility a knee-jerk "NO THIS ISN'T WOW" response isn't a serious reaction, and I fear for Planetside 2's future if unimaginative replies like that are ever taken seriously.
Old 2012-02-21, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #208
Fenrys
Major

Um, who says the PvE content can't contribute to the over all state of the game?
That could be cool in a Dust/Eve kind of way. Put the PvE content in a separate game and let it somehow effect the state of PS2, or the other way around, or both.

If structures can be dynamically generated in Forgelight, then maybe clearing mobs in not-PS2 will cause towers and outposts to spawn in PS2. Talk about it as "taming the wild Auraxian frontier" and use it to explain the lack of wildlife.

If a different faction takes a base in PS2, then maybe mobs that are hostile to certain player factions in not-PS2 will start spawning in particular areas. Hostile ICE, robotic automated defense AI's, etc...

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-02-21 at 02:23 AM.
Old 2012-02-21, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #209
Espion
Staff Sergeant

99.9% of all people ever.

i.e. everyone but you and the other guy arguing (getting trolled) in this thread
Old 2012-02-21, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #210
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
This is such a blisteringly asinine statement that it's all the more evidence to me that PS1 vets will be more of a burden than a help. Adding in NPCs which do not fight at all and which merely offer more complex game objectives will turn this into "WoW with guns"? Do you really mean that? I mean, you're using a computer so I assume your brain works well enough to see how that's a balls-out retarded thing to say.

Being outright opposed to anything which differs from PS1 isn't helpful. PS2 will need more complex "game modes" as such. You can't just expect simple cap-and-hold objectives to be the pinnacle of MMOFPS gameplay. How long was it before deathmatch was replaced by team deathmatch, and then stuff like king of the hill, or payload, or capture the flag became the gameplay du jour?

Having NPCs and stuff which have a purpose insofar as objectives are concerned but which do not fight in any way would enable something more complex than hack a console, wait 30 minutes. Giving that possibility a knee-jerk "NO THIS ISN'T WOW" response isn't a serious reaction, and I fear for Planetside 2's future if unimaginative replies like that are ever taken seriously.
You mad bro?

So what would these none fighting NPC's offer?

"Hello soldier! Please go kill 10 dragons before that NC/VS player does and we will grant you 3 wishes."

I fear for PS2 because of these stupid fucking ideas people keep posting on this forum.

Last edited by IronMole; 2012-02-21 at 03:38 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion