Is Planetside 2 being released too soon? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Exuse me, i think i left one of my bullets in your brain.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-10-20, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Is Planetside 2 being released too soon?

IMHO I don't think it is a good idea to try and release it in the holiday season.

I think they will find themselves and their micro transaction buisness model compeeting too much with other holiday shopping and other games being released before the holiday season.
Old 2012-10-20, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Re: Is Planetside 2 being released too soon?

imo yes
Old 2012-10-20, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Timealude
Captain

Like I said before...I honestly think they are out of time and the people funding the game are saying we need to get this out now or no more money.
Old 2012-10-20, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SpottyGekko
Sergeant

It's too soon to tell !

Maybe the team can pull off a few miracles in the next 4 weeks. Let's face it, they pretty much HAVE to. Hard deadlines have a way of focusing your mind.

Smed was saying they have 100 people working on the game currently. Other than getting in each other's way, they should be able to churn out some results.
Old 2012-10-20, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rolfski
Major

I think it's a combined act of bad planning and desperation because I can't think of any other reason to launch a F2P title during the busiest season, where it has to compete for attention with upcoming triple A block busters.

They probably originally had planned for this game to be released in summer 2012 and now they're running out of budget/time.
Old 2012-10-20, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

They tried to radically change too much.

Teh new graphics engine was a good thing. But I know many games where they focused on one thing too much then later had to be rushed. Heck I remeber rebel Strike the so called Rouge Squadron 3. Rouge Leader was an awsome game, but with rebel Strike they tried to make a whole new engine but with all the bugs and what not they had to push it out the door. You could tell after playing the game that some stuff had been rushed.

Only one thing can explain how I feel about this launch date.

Old 2012-10-20, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Tooterfish
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I think the game is in a much better state than Planetside 1's launch, which had a much longer beta period, but could have used another month at least. SOE is terribly out of touch with these issues. I know they're not doing so well financially right now, and annual numbers is everything to them. Also, and at risk of sounding too speculative, I would say that the long term success of F2P games ride heavily on a smooth launch. Perhaps if they were to hire one or two guys that play games on a regular basis to make a few sound decisions, they would be much better off.

Read my game blog @ www.roffle.com

Last edited by Tooterfish; 2012-10-20 at 06:08 AM.
Old 2012-10-20, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

I was reminded of how not ready the game is just yesterday: I have not played for a week or two and logged in to have some fun. I went to a location where some action was and bam - I only had 20-30 FPS. I have an I5 2500k @4,2Ghz and a Radeon 7950 and there was not THAT much going on, just a normal frontline. I have not seen a single game with that poor performance on my PC. There are many people who have only half the power my rig has, so how are they supposed to play this game? They will try it when it is released, find that it runs like shit and leave again.
Not to mention that they did not even implement any metagame yet and we didn't see the third continent yet.... they should have pushed that date at least one month back, rather two.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2012-10-20 at 08:27 AM.
Old 2012-10-20, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I think it is very nice of SOE to release the game so that it can be enjoyed for a whole month before the end of the world.
Old 2012-10-20, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
james
Sergeant Major

I think so, but i think its a problem of delays, and the current state of the parent company Sony. I really hope it doesn't flop and then the studio gets canned. The rate sony is going best case there gaming division gets sold.

Performance in this game is crap. With an i5 2500k @4.6 and AMD 7970 at 1100 mhz it stills drops to 30 fps which just isn't accepted when games like bf3 that look better, and have destruction built into the engine it runs almost 2-3 times better

Last edited by james; 2012-10-20 at 09:15 AM.
Old 2012-10-20, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Tooterfish View Post
Perhaps if they were to hire one or two guys that play games on a regular basis to make a few sound decisions, they would be much better off.
First, they did. Jimmy Wisenhunt (sp?) and Malorn. Second, Smed and the gang are avid FPS gamers. Third, how could you not know this?
Old 2012-10-20, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
First, they did. Jimmy Wisenhunt (sp?) and Malorn. Second, Smed and the gang are avid FPS gamers. Third, how could you not know this?
I think he humorously implied that it can sometimes seem like they are not really making the best decisions for the players or the game....
Old 2012-10-20, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Figment
Lieutenant General

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: I would say match 2013 would probably be better, but still early.
Old 2012-10-20, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
fastcookiedough
Private

Can't wait for the full game
Old 2012-10-20, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Sounds to me like the investors said the final word... I doubt the Devs are happy with the release date, but it's not their call.

Having said that, I really hope they don't screw up. Things like changing mechanics post launch can have dire consequences (SW Galaxies example). If we see that current system is not working out (for example resource system and territory hold are no where near where it should be) they will be forced to change things for better or worse.

Many of the game devs/publishers get away saying they will add stuff later. For some games it works out, for others it's a death sentence. I hope it's not the latter one as I'm looking for a game that PS2 should/could have been and there is nothing else on the horizon. It's not all that bad, but a bit disappointing in terms of mechanics and features.

Food for thought - it's F2P, so if me or other people think it still needs more work on, we can actually play next year March-July when we feel the game is where it should be, of course I would guess most of us will play it and simply "bitch" on the forums - experience shows this is the most likely scenario.

On a side note -
Feels similar to MWO - yeah bought Legendary founder, tested Beta - yeah an "ok" mech shooter, but it's just the biscuit with nothing else - where's the cream, frosting - just everything else - kinda tasteless...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion