Cloakers and there weapons? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pee'd on my lawn.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-19, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Cloakers and there weapons?

Quick question, we seen pictures with cloakers and some form of rifles.

First off is that overpowered?

Seocond I really love the design of the NC cloaker and all their weapons. Would it be overpowered if a NC Cloaker has their hands on a sweeper?

Going by ps1 I would say 50/50

Last edited by Magpie; 2012-02-19 at 10:03 AM.
Old 2012-02-19, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
DayOne
Captain

Re: Cloakers and there weapons?

Firstly: their*

Secondly: Cloakers getting only pistols is BS to me. They're lightly armoured, not made of spaghetti! At least give them Sub machine guns!

EDIT: Yes, as mentioned below they would have to uncloak first, but at least give them something that can kill!

Last edited by DayOne; 2012-02-19 at 09:54 AM.
Old 2012-02-19, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
MgFalcon
Captain

Cloakers can use a Sniper Rifle, but as I recall they'll have to uncloak to use it. Seems good to me, but then again I'll probably be playing that role a bit more than I like!
Old 2012-02-23, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
Cloakers can use a sniper rifle, but as I recall they'll have to uncloak to use it.
Proof that they have to uncloak to use it?
Old 2012-02-23, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

Don't remember where it was said but it was. Also snipers cloaking is NOT as effective as infiltrators you will be able to see them more.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-23, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Don't remember where it was said but it was. Also snipers cloaking is NOT as effective as infiltrators you will be able to see them more.
Also pretty sure they said you uncloak after you fired, requiring a sniper to move after every few shots.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-02-19, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mauser101
Sergeant

As far as we know if you want full cloak (no packets sent to other clients, no constrat adjusting workaround) you get pistols and knives and if you want partial cloak your weapons access is only known to also include the cloaker specific sniper rifle...which we're all assuming is gimped like the Heavy Scout Rifle from PS1 (lower power zoom, less damage per hit).

We haven't seen anything leading us to believe either cloaker will get access to anything more powerful as far as ranged weapons go.

edit: My hope is that you have to uncloak to fire the sniper rifle, not auto-uncloak upon firing.

http://www.sturmgrenadier.com

Last edited by Mauser101; 2012-02-19 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2012-02-19, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Mauser101 View Post
As far as we know if you want full cloak (no packets sent to other clients, no constrat adjusting workaround) you get pistols and knives and if you want partial cloak your weapons access is only known to also include the cloaker specific sniper rifle...which we're all assuming is gimped like the Heavy Scout Rifle from PS1 (lower power zoom, less damage per hit).
I see this one mentioned by many ppl, but there cant be option that infiltrator dont sent packets to others. Client still need to know where he is even with full cloak - for collision detection (so you dont run through them) and hit detection (so you dont shoot through them).

For cloak + sniper. That cloak wont be ideal, very noticable on shorter distance, and wont be permanent (was mentioned its only for easier change of your location than for long invisibility).
Old 2012-02-19, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
I see this one mentioned by many ppl, but there cant be option that infiltrator dont sent packets to others. Client still need to know where he is even with full cloak - for collision detection (so you dont run through them) and hit detection (so you dont shoot through them).

For cloak + sniper. That cloak wont be ideal, very noticable on shorter distance, and wont be permanent (was mentioned its only for easier change of your location than for long invisibility).
No packets sent to enemies. The server still know where you are, if a bullet or other person hits you then they will receive the packet saying so. It's so you cant use anything client side that would allow you to detect a cloaker.
Old 2012-02-19, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rarntogo
Corporal

Without knowing the effectiveness of the sniper rifle, it would be hard to say if they are overpowered or not just yet. Cloakers were somewhat under utilized in PS1 imo and giving them a sniping capabilities makes them a force. How they work in the balance is something that will take some work, no doubt. If something is overpowered, the majority will use it and the rest will whine about it.
Old 2012-02-19, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Rarntogo View Post
Cloakers were somewhat under utilized in PS1 imo and giving them a sniping capabilities makes them a force.
All it does is make the people who want to snipe pick that class this time. They won't really be cloakers per se as they won't be sneaking around doing stuff, and for all intents and purposes they may as well be guys in agile. Giving them sniper rifles isn't a serious way to address the issue of cloaker gameplay in PS1 being lackluster, and I imagine there's more we have to see about cloakers in PS2 and the changes in store for them.
Old 2012-02-19, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ThGlump
Captain

Trying to run through someone with cloak would result in huge rubber banding, if your client move because he dont know something is there and then is send back by server. That would feel terrible.
Old 2012-02-19, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
DayOne
Captain

Trying to run through someone with cloak would result in huge rubber banding, if your client move because he dont know something is there and then is send back by server. That would feel terrible.
Worse than being killed when fully cloaked because some guy has a modded client?
Old 2012-02-19, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
Worse than being killed when fully cloaked because some guy has a modded client?
For everyone else than a cloaker yes (even for them if 2 cloakers colide).

As i understand seeing cloaker in ps1 was easy since they was always shown but with invisible texture. If you changed texture you could see them.
If they arent drawn at all, you could not modify game as easily. You would need game code modification to allow drawing cloakers and that wont be a joke.
And you could still change texture for partial cloak to see cloak/snipers over long distance. I hope they fix that.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mauser101
Sergeant

Then there's the question of whether Darklight will be in the game. !/send packet if darklight = no. send packet if darklight = yes. I'd see even more issues. Personally I trust the devs to be up to the challenge of making it work.

Unfortunately I bring certain expectations from playing PS1 for so long, and one of them is to have a counter to cloakers.

http://www.sturmgrenadier.com

Last edited by Mauser101; 2012-02-19 at 11:16 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion