Training centre? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not press the red button
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-23, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Training centre?

In planetside 1 in the sanctary there was a building to test weapons and vehicle in a vitival world any news of this returning? We know that sanctary will not be return and in place a home cont or a stronghold.

It would be nice to see training centre come back even tho the dmg was not the same in real world.
Old 2012-02-23, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Training centre?

Pretty sure this is confirmed not in the game.
Old 2012-02-23, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

All things considered it was a pretty useless feature. I think their time would be better used on other things.
Old 2012-02-23, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Graywolves
General

Higby told me there would be something different for training purposes.

I hope there's somewhere that I can safely look at all the weapons without requiring to unlock them and test their capabilities.
Old 2012-02-23, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Vancha
Colonel

Somewhat ironically, I thought the S4-style of weapon training would be good. A VR training area accessed on the main menu, outside the servers, in which you were taught to lead shots, compensate for bullet drop etc.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

PS1 had off line training. They removed it when they added the in game training tutorials you can do now. The off-line one was bugged anyway.

When I first bought the game I had to wait for the gaming computer I bought for it to come, and the only thing my old family computer could run was the offline training. First mission told you what a CC was, explained the REK, then had you go to a tower hack a door, then go up and hack the CC. Next it had you run over to the nearby Tech plant and guided you up to its CC, had you hack it and explained hacking a base. Then the vehicle one spawned a harasser next to you, had you check out the gun spot, trunk, and finally drive it. The way points were bugged tho and it wouldn't register you driving through them, so that is all the farther you could go, and you couldn't go onto the next training mission cause you couldn't complete the vehicle one. There was I wanna say 6 missions you could do. the 2 mentioned and I know there was air and weapon training, don't remember what the others were.

I must have did that at least 10 times and read the manual cover to cover a few times as well before I had a computer that could actually run the game.

Last edited by DOUBLEXBAUGH; 2012-02-23 at 09:06 AM.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
PS1 had off line training. They removed it when they added the in game training tutorials you can do now. The off-line one was bugged anyway.

When I first bought the game I had to wait for the gaming computer I bought for it to come, and the only thing my old family computer could run was the offline training. First mission told you what a CC was, explained the REK, then had you go to a tower hack a door, then go up and hack the CC. Next it had you run over to the nearby Tech plant and guided you up to its CC, had you hack it and explained hacking a base. Then the vehicle one spawned a harasser next to you, had you check out the gun spot, trunk, and finally drive it. The way points were bugged tho and it wouldn't register you driving through them, so that is all the farther you could go, and you couldn't go onto the next training mission cause you couldn't complete the vehicle one. There was I wanna say 6 missions you could do. the 2 mentioned and I know there was air and weapon training, don't remember what the others were.

I must have did that at least 10 times and read the manual cover to cover a few times as well before I had a computer that could actually run the game.
Ah no way never knew that, shame it was bugged sounded great for new starters. Great post
Old 2012-02-24, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I hope there's somewhere that I can safely look at all the weapons without requiring to unlock them and test their capabilities.
Exactly.

There need to be a training field so we can check every weapon/class/vehicle before spending time, effort and cert points in them.

Also, I don't want to learn to pilot an air fighter directly on the battlefield.
It would end up like... Well... Battlefield: new pilots trying their fighter (or Lib & Gal) and crashing after 10 seconds and some ridiculous moves.
Useless for the team, and not fun for the player.
Old 2012-02-24, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Canaris
Contributor
General

V.R. Bootcamp, a soldier can't learn everything he needs to fight a war in a single day! Every military expert knows it takes at least a whole long weekend

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-02-24, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
V.R. Bootcamp, a soldier can't learn everything he needs to fight a war in a single day! Every military expert knows it takes at least a whole long weekend
Well...

The PCG article mentioned a "New Recruit Trainer" role, right?

So...

Who's gonna be a drill sergeant and name his character "Hartman"?

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?
Private Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked shit that high!
Old 2012-02-24, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I think a place to try weapons and upgrades before you spend XP on them is pretty important, especially with a cert tree as deep as PS2's seems to be. Nothing worse than spending 2 weeks worth of XP on a weapon only to find out it's worse for your play style than what you had before.
Old 2012-02-24, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
DeathHaze
Private

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
All things considered it was a pretty useless feature. I think their time would be better used on other things.
This is coming from a noob, but that VR area came in really handy for me to test out new equipment. I don't have a clue what I'm doing in this game, and I never get a response when I ask questions, so the entire training area came in very handy for me to learn how to fly and what all the guns do.
Old 2012-02-24, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Sabrak View Post
Well...

The PCG article mentioned a "New Recruit Trainer" role, right?

So...

Who's gonna be a drill sergeant and name his character "Hartman"?

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?
Private Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked shit that high!
SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE!!

Greatest Gunnery Sgt. of all time!

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-02-24, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by DeathHaze View Post
This is coming from a noob, but that VR area came in really handy for me to test out new equipment. I don't have a clue what I'm doing in this game, and I never get a response when I ask questions, so the entire training area came in very handy for me to learn how to fly and what all the guns do.
Hm, okay. I never knew it existed myself as I recall when I first started. Either way I think they could definitely do a lot to improve the new player experience of PS2. It should be more "noob friendly" than PS1 was.
Old 2012-02-24, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Does anyone else remember the single player walkthrough tutorial that came with the original PS1 discs?

Because that was way better than the tutorial system they later implemented... in my opinion. Even had voice acting, was easy to follow and taught you the basics.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion