What is the right way of handling an Exploit? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: take once a day, orally.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2003-11-21, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
KIAsan
First Sergeant

What is the right way of handling an Exploit?

Ok,
So I found what I think is an exploit. I wont mention details since that seems to be not the way of doing things. But I don`t know if it really is an exploit. Do I just submit the /bug report and leave it at that? I have been using it for a time and didn`t really think much about it, until the infamous cHam posts. Now that has me thinking maybe this ability is a bug that SOE missed. Is there anywhere I can go to check on this? I don`t want an unfair advantage, but I also don`t want to eliminate an ability if it is not a bug.

Any help would be appreciated.

KIAsan
TR-Emerald
Old 2003-11-21, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

PM someone like Hamma or Strygun with the exploit, im sure they will help.
Old 2003-11-21, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Jagd
Major

/appeal or /bug report it. No need to get anyone else involved unless SOE ignores you.
Old 2003-11-21, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
TeraHertz
Major

Originally Posted by KIAsan
Ok,
So I found what I think is an exploit. I wont mention details since that seems to be not the way of doing things. But I don`t know if it really is an exploit. Do I just submit the /bug report and leave it at that? I have been using it for a time and didn`t really think much about it, until the infamous cHam posts. Now that has me thinking maybe this ability is a bug that SOE missed. Is there anywhere I can go to check on this? I don`t want an unfair advantage, but I also don`t want to eliminate an ability if it is not a bug.

Any help would be appreciated.

KIAsan
TR-Emerald
I'd say the way to deal with an exploit is to tell everyone about it, thus forcing he devs to take notice. If a small few know about it, nothing will get done.
The Neo bug in battlefield 1942 that allowed players like me to propel ourselves at high speed into the air and fly unaided is a good example. The devs appeared to ignore it until a squad released a video detailing how to do it. Once everyone started flying the bug got squashed. Certain maps like omah were getting ruined since the allies could just take off into the air, fly over the enemy, then parachte behind their lines. I have to admit, when there were only a handful of folk doing it, it was waaay fun. Flying from one carrier to the next on Coral Sea is a whole new game in itself

However, if this is the course of action you take, make sure you make a new disposable alias account with which to post, since you'll be flammed to hell and back.
Old 2003-11-21, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Using and disseminating an exploit is the absolute worst way to bring it to the devs' attention. Please think of the honest players who will undoubtedly suffer in the middle of such a tug-of-war. The devs are aware of a great many things about this game that we're not. Breaking the EULA to protest the perceived lack of attention given to exploits by the devs is just that, a violation of the promise you make every time you click 'I Agree'.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-22, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Since when is talking about an error in the game a violation of anything? your not telling anyone the code just that it happens. And its not going to hurt any game.

What teh fuck is with you people. Noone untill recently has ever freaked out about game errors in the entire history of gaming. Honest player. What the fuck are you talking about. Theres no such thing as honest players just people who know programming and people who dont. theres no legal reason to make a legal agreement about an occurance in a game that is from ther lack of programming skills, we buy the damn games. Who started this crap. Adn im fucking serious. there is no legal basis for them to fucking have soemthing like this in an agreement because its not based on your knoledge of there code and it form you just using your mouse and walking around in an environment so theres no copywritable material involved. Its how they programmed it so its hten a natural part of the game not a hack. You shouldnt worry about it when htey fix it they will untill then its as i said a natural part of the game jsut like weapons not balanced because there is no fucking legal way for them to not let you talk abou it and not be making it illegal to talk about other things in the game like a twich in the graphics. its the same method of discovery.

IM fucking serious this is sick. You stressing pople out becuase of somthing discovered through the basic game controles they built for you to legally use. Its there fault and they can legally fuck themselves. there is no legal way to say you cant talk about a natural game error. EVER!! Its the same damn thing legally as talking about it if it did work. Then you cant legally talk about anything Game related at all on either direction!!!!!!!! The only fucking things they can fuckig legally have in ther involve saying code!!!!! Or weakness in the damn code IE exploits that would allow yo uto hack!!!!!!!!! Period!!!

Its part of the damn environmetn wich you have been legally givene to the right use in teh Agreement and is how htey made it work wether they like it or not until thye change it and then it was stil how it existed at one point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And its a violation of the DAMN 1st ammendent.!!!!! and this fucking thing has been in our courts a thousand times already saying they cant fukgin do it because the lack of metnion or violation of anything copyrighted makes it a speech issue!!!!!!!! So id love to see your fucking ass tell me why SPORK. Ill buy this fucking game right now mention one and take yoru entire damn company down the fucking toilet myself! as much as i want ot play this game and as much money as i would like to invest in it.

IM sorry this shit just really pisses me off!

Its one thing for Hamma to say no exploits in his forum because its his and what you say is in it, not to mention he pays for it. But not for it to be a legal agreement for a product they make a profit off of.

Sorry, Another company trying to do this through there license agreement again just makes me explode.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-11-22 at 01:16 AM.
Old 2003-11-22, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

You really don't get it, do you? Posting exploits lets people who don't know about the exploit claim that they are just using the controls, when in fact they are using the controls to exploit solely because someone told them how to do it. They never would have thought to use the controls that way if they hadn't seen it on a website, and people troll websites all day long looking for exploits, especially for PlanetSide, because it's the best online combat game.

Besides, Hamma will surely kick your ass if you decide to push the point and make any exploits public.

As for the devs, you have as little chance of moving them to action by posting exploits as you do by mailing them dead skunks. It makes you look like a whiny little bitch and quite possibly a stinking exploiter.

The view that because they programmed it, you are justified in using it however you please is totally wrong. By your logic, you could use your mail client to send millions of emails to the same person, because the program doesn't prevent it. The law calls it spam, an exploit, and you sure as hell will get busted for it. The same is true with PlanetSide. You can use the chat window to send obscene remarks to a player, which the program allows for, but it's an illegal use of the software and forbidden. Whatever the devs decide is an exploit, whether or not the software facilitates it, is an exploit. There's no arguing with it.

If you're going to get so angry, possibly because you were denied access to information regarding an exploit that you desired to use, I suggest you calm down or play a different game. Seriously, anger is totally unjustified.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

Old 2003-11-22, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ait'al
Contributor
General

the chat part of the game and hte game environment are different things legally and under differnt laws!!!!!

You dont kno what yoru talking about.

You dont even know what teh hell im talking about!

Get a lawyer and ask him.

I dont care about how you look at it bacause your trying to mix law with your attempt to deal with 12 year olds. im talking about hte actuall law from a legal point of veiw.

im not reffering to how you or others recomment dealing with it just if its actually in a EULA! Nor how he should deal with it. Thats can only be left to the people themselves unless it has to do with revealing of code.

im not exactly against using private channels just not turning into some fear thing. I know how people act. Ive known about them longer than you have.

This is a really petty thing that only becomes bad when companies dont know how to deal with them anymore. Even when people are exploiting it all over hte map its only temporary. Its as old as gaming and companies have always just waited and patched it. If they have lost that much patience or cant even quell it without railroading every law in existence then there screwed. Computers communities used to be the most jealously protective group inthe country about this sort of issue.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-11-22 at 01:26 AM.
Old 2003-11-22, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Yeah, /bug
Old 2003-11-22, 01:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ait'al
Contributor
General

But yea you might as well go through official channels atleast, so they see it.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-11-22 at 01:45 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2003-11-22, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
SporkfirePS
PlanetSide Alumni

/bug is really the best way to report a bug. All reports are tested and verified by the QA department and entered into their database for resolution. This is the most efficient way of doing things, as it cuts out all middlemen (like myself) and puts things right in front of the people who will be addressing the problem.
Old 2003-11-22, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Sporkfire sighting!

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-11-22, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I just dont get why anyone would EVER condone teh attempt to licensa awaysomebodies rigth to talk about how a game works. Next thing you know there going to sue every game critic they dont like under these premise and then who knows what. cause if thats real thats Appaulling. this isnt a beta thing where theres a specific reason its a normal game. If thats real there two steps away from controling everything your allowed to say about there game and that is just Illegal and Unconstitutional and if i buy this game and see it in the license agreement im suing Sony Ass form here to the next world! You can not ever say we cant talk about how you made the game work, EVER! Thats is just not exceptable in this country and has so many cases against it already. And no court in its right mind wouldnt agree. So you mightn want to look or have you superiors look at there legal department. Cause if sony condoned putting that in a legal agreement sony going to be relling as a company pretty soon. And its not going to be fun. I dont condone exploiting a game to destroy it but i certainly as hell dont condone some stupid license agreement that permenanlty destroys the First ammendment forever. Because there is no way an agreement for a product like this cant do that and wont. So please tell me its not in the EULA for the game, And just on the one for the OF Forum. Please!!!!!!!!

Hamma if you know could you tell me, this sorta shit scares the shit out of me.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-11-22 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2003-11-22, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

It's like how you can't talk about the stock value of your company in illegal ways with investors if people will later construe it as insider trading. Talking is a freedom, investing is a freedom, but talking about investing the wrong way is not a freedom, and can in fact get you in trouble.

Discussing exploits has the side-effect of disseminating the exploit. Since there can be no positive change from us chit-chatting about the exploit, it's logical to leave it unspoken and let the devs do their work instead of adding to the problem by making even more exploiters. Why would you want to make even more exploiters? So people become unhappy enough to quit, thereby 'sending a message to the devs'? That ain't gonna happen. Faced with more exploiters, people are going to be mad yet continue playing because they are loyal and love the game, and the net result will be kicking the honest players in the balls.

Old 2003-11-22, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ait'al
Contributor
General

And veteran you dont have the slightest fuckign understanding of that law, if it were done in that way its a complete and utter violation of the constitution. No law can be made ever by congress to that infringes on our right to free speech ever. You dont understand what your saying. Or the implecations. Not everything that is is legal or right you mindless zombie! Its idiots like you who think that because one law made it in it its ok ot make others in that way just because its there. Thats not how our legal system works. We have to at all time make sure this shit doesnt happen or bye bye constitution. People like you are about the destroy this country for good. STFU!

I want to know what the fuck is going on!

You cannot put something like this on an item you are selling! It takes away the right to say anything against they dont like. Teh game experience like who well your shammpoo worked cannot be licensed away. Period! they can stop you from telling code. and that questionable also, and is in court right now! but this is absolutely not! This is how they created the game we are not legally responsibble nor can be for figuring out how they should have made it!!!! We buy the PRODUCT and we have to right to complain about whereever and whenever we want! because were the consumer! Any attemp to change that and take away our right to Is a flagrent desragard for the laws in this country and our rights and is absolutely appauling! And iwll have sonys ass and every other company who does so fucking gone for good! You cannot change the basic design of our ecomony for your fucking game! You cannont limit in any way where or when we can complain about your product. And it is a complete violation of hte consitituion!

so i would like to know whether this is in the EULA for hte game. Or has veteren just been telling that guy some mindless bull shit he doesnt know anything about.

There are too many other computer companies/coproration if you dont understand the reason, that are doing this right now not to be ocmpletely pissed!

You cannot change the basic way the market works to ease your companies problems. If you take more regard for your sales than for hte general wellfare of our laws and rights then your sick sick people. You dont change laws in this country to fit your corpations needs in this country, not even if its the slightest change, especially if its our consitutional rights! NO law derived around a companies sales has to right to impacts laws that affect our right to do somehting in our daily lifes! Thats absolutely disgusting! And way to damn far!

Is there anyone here thats a lawyer on a constititional level that would like to explain whats happening. And how this exist withought the implications i have just said.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-11-22 at 11:36 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion