Voice Coms, Miniguns and gliding.. what will we learn today kiddies? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vanu, the other white meat
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2002-12-17, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Voice Coms, Miniguns and gliding.. what will we learn today kiddies?

Author Topic: Voice Communicating
NextGenOctacon
Station Member
Registered: Jan 2002 posted 12-16-2002 09:13 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The PlanetSide team is always talking about speeding up gameplay by doing this and that. Heck, they even took out prone! to speed the game up. But not providing(not even a basic program) voice chat software and on top of that they dont support it. How is typing many word commands using a key board going to speed anything up? Even if you managed to shortin the commands to a kind of "commander slang" they still need the freedom to make commands on the fly. I think they should seriously consider voice chatting for the primary or at least secondary was of chatting in a squad. I want to hear you comments and thoughts on this.
(This topic may have already come up)

*********** DEV REPLY **************

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 12-17-2002 07:25 AM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We definitely have a voice bind system in our game. If you're used to the T2 one, then you'll have no problems whatsoever with this one.
As far as in-game voice goes...I have to please the Fifth on that one for the moment...but we're looking into some stuff now. No promises yet...but we're looking into it.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000853.html
Old 2002-12-17, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: Mini-Chaingun problems?
macedune7429
Station Member
Registered: Jun 2001 posted 12-16-2002 07:23 PM user search report post
I read the Grief System and it says something about everytime u hit a squad member you get a point so what happens with guns like the mini-chaingun the cycler the AMP and the supressor?
i mean if yer spittin out lead that fast im guessin that yer gonna earn alot of greif points. and dont give me crap about good aiming and sh*t like that because accidents happen and with the mini-chaingun they will happen a lot.
BTW this looks kinda like a TR

************* DEV RPLY ******************8

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 12-17-2002 07:32 AM user search report post
Clarity:
a) You don't get grief points for killing a squad member. You do (currently) get grief points for killing an outfit member who is not in your squad. Squads are the ONLY exception to the grief system.

b) You don't get a grief point for "hitting someone". You get a grief point for doing a point of damage. Therefore, the mini-chaingun example you cite is on par with, for example, a grenade launcher because the damage they can do is similar over 10 seconds of time. Because damage is relatively equal, so is the griefing potential.

Make sense?

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000845.html
Old 2002-12-17, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: Gliding
raneados
Station Member

posted 12-17-2002 04:19 AM user search report post
I've been watching a few of the videos a few times and it appears that, in some instances... the soldiers appear to be gliding... they start moving andf a couple of semiseconds later... their legs begin to move.. it's kinda freaky
Maybe it's just me...

****** DEV REPLY *********

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 12-17-2002 07:27 AM user search report post
The video you're seeing that in is showing you (drumroll, please)...a bug.
That "no animation skating" you're seeing is a glitch that was in for the game build that footage was taken from.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000857.html
Old 2002-12-17, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

I think the things that the DEVs have done to try and reduce the amount of lag are great. First of all if you want to chat, use RW. Second of all the no prone thing is great, it makes snipers be more and aware, and create less ownage.

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
Old 2002-12-17, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Well, it's just that they can't say anything about other programs such as Teamspeak or RW. Kinda a catch 22. If people knewthese programs would work in game, they wouldn't care. I'm fairly certain they think it's similar to EQ, where no programs could be manipulated at all while it was running.

Of course, that may be the case in this game as well, even though I've heard countless people saying it will work. Have they tried it themselves?
Old 2002-12-17, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

Maybe they have, what if they nuked the headqu... ok next question

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
Old 2002-12-17, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

Im certain voice comm will work while your in game heh..

Voice comm is almost required in a team based FPS

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-17, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

Time for some intersquad ownz0ring!
Old 2002-12-17, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Yet some people complain and still attempt to type during NS...

n00bs.
Old 2002-12-17, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
zMessiahz
Sergeant

Will they allow us to bind custom chats to the voice bind keys? Text macro's like this would be very useful. Especially if you could put wildcards in like my current nav, the player under my crosshair, etc. (ala netrek).
Old 2002-12-17, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Marsman
Major

I think the Dev's should permit their servers to have all the bandwidth possible and not even consider to implement voice comms. Voice binds are great, but voice comm software exists and is best handled by outside servers. Voice comms should exist and be controled by and within the outfit - something I think would be difficult to do with an in-game comm. Besides it give 3rd party software companies a reason to support and be involved with the games of this nature, thus more interest by more people.
Old 2002-12-17, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
afex
Contributor
Major

3rd party voice software is also generally of a higher quality than the built in type (eg. half-life)
Old 2002-12-17, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

I must be an ass....

Is all this MsVicchio gal does is cut and paste topics from the official forums, and then make up a snooty title? I don't know, doesn't seem like a very nice guy, especially since he copies noobs posts and bashes them. I don't know.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2002-12-17, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
�io
Lieutenant General

MrVicchio isn't a bad guy at all. Quite the contrary. The bad guys are the flow of new guys coming in who think they know better than the "vets" of this place. (And no i don't mean you Navaron, i'm just talking about the recent flow of expansion)
Old 2002-12-17, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: I must be an ass....

Originally posted by {BOHICA}Navaron
Is all this MsVicchio gal does is cut and paste topics from the official forums, and then make up a snooty title? I don't know, doesn't seem like a very nice guy, especially since he copies noobs posts and bashes them. I don't know.
His job is to hunt down threads and bring the news here.. making a title is just somthing he has to be creative with..

He has done a great job. You made the thread, a dev posted it in.. so its news. (im referring to the ohter dev update btw, i thin that was you in it..)

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion