Spawn Tube Teleportation - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The UN has found no Weapons of Mass Destruction here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2003-01-29, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
RageMaster
Corporal

What I mean by the abuse of possible said "Suiport", you could potentially go to any of the 3 spawnpoints in your menu from anywhere on all 10 continents. If you were out in the field, or miles from anywhere, you could grenade-kill urself and spawn at any of those three locations.

You wouldn't have to visit a spawn-tube to deconstruct, you'd just grenade yourself and choose your respawn destination, which sounds pretty much like deconstructing but without having to get your character to a base.

I was just curious to how they were handling this.

-RageMaster
Old 2003-01-29, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Toimu
Second Lieutenant

I just found a down side to being a MAX.

Toimu:
IEDs, SAF, RPGs, & mortars. But only during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The enemy is so poor, they have to keep day jobs

PS Storyline
Old 2003-01-30, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Unknown
First Sergeant

MAXs have "autorun" that lets them go almost as fast as a ground vehicle. So if you do get stranded far from friendly bases, while you may not be able to kill youself, you will be able to set in for autorun and make a bee-line to the nearest friendly base (or heck, even enemy base, nothing like a suicide run in a MAX to freak out the defenders ).

I think that killing youself to get somewhere is a perfectly viable tactic. However I am glad that they didn't include a suicide command. I actually kinda doubt we will see many suicides as it is anyways, you may not even have enough ammo to pull it off (no grenades, or not enough grenades, etc.). Also consider that there are no completely void areas for kilometers on end. Each continent may be large, but there are bases scattered all over them. I'd bet that the farthest you may ever be from a base is .5 km, at the most. Even if it's an enemy base you may as well make a suicide run at it, rather than kill youself. At least you might take someone down with ya .

Last edited by Unknown; 2003-01-30 at 12:40 AM.
Old 2003-01-30, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Ludio
First Sergeant

I agree with Unknown on this issue. There is not much of a advantage to suiporting, and it is a viable tactic. Lets look at the possiblities:

Sanctuary: This isnt much of an advantage, just a convenience. You could just as easily log out and then log back in, but instead you can kill yourself and go back to the santuary for vehicles/HART transport.

Nearest Friendly AMS: This would be useless for any long distance transport not good for suiporting because there is no need. (exception is if the AMS is under attack).

Nearest Friendly Base: This could be usefull for going across the continent. Or if you want to get a vehicle for an assault.

Binded AMS: For defense this would be good as I said in an earlier post because you could put it in a base and bind to it.

Binded Base: Same as AMS except less flexible/harder to destroy.

So what will be 'abused' by suiporting? Nearest Friendly base, binded AMS and Binded Base. As I said, this could be used to defend three bases by a single force. I think it will be a good tactic.

RageMaster, why do you think it will be good across all 10 continents? If you want to go from one continent to another there are only three choices, Sanctuary (hardly an abuse), binded AMS (have to bring it to where you want it/pray it doesnt get destroyed), and binded base (you would have to go there first though). And what would the advantage be? Do you plan to attack enemy bases on other continents, while defending bases on another?

Also note that squads wont have to suiport, they can kill each other, so unless they make penalties for squadmates killing each other it would be tough to get rid of.

Please explain your grief with the 'abuse' of suiporting more clearly. So far the only argument which has made sense was the recalling to an AMS under attack, and I think that is a legitimate tactic. Besides, the people recalling would have to wait to respawn, by which time the AMS might be gone, and it gives the defenders time to regroup too so it doesnt give an unfair advantage to anyone.
Old 2003-01-30, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Mazelmavin
Sergeant

Now I am not saying they should punish or discourage "suiporting" (sweet word, btw), but if they wanted to I got a good idea.

Killing yourself is worth greif points. Mistakes are allowed, but still penalized.

Personally, I don't care either way. But if I can do it, I would rather move long distances as a ghost.
Old 2003-01-30, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

I think a good penaltie is that if you kill yourself you take 200% longer to respawn, that way if your just doing it to save time, you lose time. No soilder will willingly take their own life just so they can get somewhere faster.
Old 2003-01-30, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
RageMaster
Corporal

Tobias thats a good idea, I was thinking along the same lines. A respawn time-penalty would be cool for suicides.

The problem I have with suiporting is the whole idea of soldiers grenading themselves in game as a means of transport, because it would look absurd. I mean, thats what they put things like warp-gates, vehicles, the HART and all the other cool modes of transport in the game for.

I'd much preferr to see re-inforcements drop in to defend a base by Galaxy then to have them all materialise in the spawn-pod room, instantly. If I'm having trouble holding a base with allies, and I put the call out for my buddies currently HART dropping in for a commando mission, I'd much preferr they say "Cant, behind enemy lines ATM" then say, "Yeah, I'll start grenading the squad, be there in 20 seconds".

Similarly if my buddies were only a few bases away, I'd feel happier with the game if they had to drive / fly over to the base. At least put me on edge for the two minutes I'd have to hold the control panel with depleted numbers. It'd look much more slick, and less like a game. Suiporting would detract from the level of realism you need to keep you absorbed.

*edit*
Also, Ludio, Im not talking specifically about continent hopping. Single continents have alot of area themselves, enough to make suiporting more practical than driving or flying (cuz you dont need any vehicles or spawnpods to get to the locations on your Matrix list). Suiporting would be a way of circumventing the pre-req of having to be in your base to get to other locations. You could be anywhere, and still be able to get to your binded locations. You wouldnt need to 'deconstruct', it'd render it obsolete.

-RageMaster

Last edited by RageMaster; 2003-01-30 at 10:41 AM.
Old 2003-01-30, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Also I believe way back when i read something about it taking longer or shorter to respawn depending on how many people are spawning at that spawn point, like if you have 4 tubes and like 50 guys wanting to spawn you might be in for a bit of a wait. Make that 200% longer and spawning into a big battle might not be a good idea.
Old 2003-01-30, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Adamant
Private

Question

How many spawn tubes will each base have?
Old 2003-01-30, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Ludio
First Sergeant

I agree it detracts from the realism of the game. And it would be cooler to have people have to fly/drive back rather than bind and suiport. However that said it is a game.

In the end it will depend on how realistic the devs want the game to be. I already think the matrixing makes the suiporting realistic, if a bit odd.

I wish SmokeJumper would give us some more info.

This does sort of end the debate though...just depends on the level of realism. Now, how realistic do we want/expect this game to be?
Old 2003-01-31, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally posted by Adamant
How many spawn tubes will each base have?
Quite a few I'd imagine.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-01-31, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Unknown
First Sergeant

I was sorta under the impression that ther would only be 2 or 3 in a single room per base. How many spawn tubes did you see in a base Hamma? This is something I'd like to have asked at the dev interview tonight .
Old 2003-01-31, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Hamma
PSU Admin

I think both walls in the room i was in had spawn tubes

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion