News: Update on new Hex Adjacency System via Higby - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I got your thumb!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-03-14, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

Re: Update on new Hex Adjacency System via Higby

Originally Posted by Rothnang View Post
I'm not saying test servers are bad, I'm just saying I don't like it when you're forced to either abandon live play or put more hours than you want to into a game to be able to give feedback on new changes when it can still have an effect.
I expect that the test server would only be up for a few hours a day, and probably only for testing out ideas that probably just wants numbers to see what happens.
Old 2013-03-14, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sirisian
Colonel

Making roads, bridges, etc follow the connectivity more logically than is displayed in the above map - this will involve changes to the connectivity above as well as some changes to Indar's layout.
I pointed out before that this was an issue, and not to design around it by removing bridges that happen to overlap hexes. The hex system is a neat idea, but it's purely aesthetic. Having overlapping connections would be very powerful and really open up the map design for bridges and tunnels to increase the vertical gameplay which is sorely missing from the game.

If you stick to the hex system please implement a 3D map. This was brought up during tech test that a 2D map really limits the player's visualization of where vehicles are and soldiers are in a 3D world. A 3D map would also allow the hex system to follow bridges and tunnels and exist at different elevations in the world and overlap seamlessly without the issue that 2D maps cause.
Old 2013-03-14, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Let's start with saying that everything not mentioned is OK or at least is neutral.

Now let's go in for the "good" and "bad" part

Good:
  • Scarred Mesa Skydock not affecting Tawrich adjacency.
  • The Crown being able to get cut off (despite what would seem 2 TR links, in reality, the upper link usually belongs to the Northern gateholders).
  • Howling Pass being very distinct now not only through the landscape, but also through the hex map.
  • ARC Bioengineering is not the most useless hex now.

Bad:
  • Leopardwood Nursery being a useless hex.
  • Hvar is hex-clusterfucked.
  • If I read the map right, the Rashnu Tower is connected directly to Howling Pass. NS Material Storage was a good and necessary checkpoint, no need to remove it.
  • Saurva adjacency design as opposed to other bases. In reality this Biolab is the least contested territory, I don't see a point in making it more defensible than the bases close to the frontline. If anything it should be vice versa.

Anyway props to the "mappers"!

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-03-14 at 03:22 AM.
Old 2013-03-14, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Like this a lot; huge potential.

If you look closely at the map there do appear to be some illogical connections, but also I suspect that a lot of clever stuff is going on here; especially around the major facilities. We'll only really know when we get to play it.

Hopefully they will sort out the illogical stuff, and make connectivity follow roads etc (or modify the route of the roads to suit the connectivity!).

Good times ahead!
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-14, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Surprised nobody has mentioned the additional satellites on Saurva and Allatum yet...
Old 2013-03-14, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

This hex system looks so much clearer than what we have now! Hopefully should lead to more armies sticking together than having them disperse into 5/6 pieces that sometimes happens now.
Old 2013-03-14, 03:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned the additional satellites on Saurva and Allatum yet...
the picture is bad....

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-03-14, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
raw
Sergeant

Am I the only one who'd love to see how the current hex system works out, once proper outftitting is in the game?

Oh well, it wasn't ment to be. Maps are too small for a 6con hex.
Old 2013-03-14, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

At this point how can anyone say the Devs are not listening. Just because they don't change or fix every issue right now doesn't mean it couldn't work and they aren't thinking about it down the line. A lot goes into making games, frankly I'm amazed we are seeing so many changes so quickly based on feedback. Looking more and more like planetside 1 every day!
Old 2013-03-14, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I am playing George Frideric Handel's Messiah as I type this, I am that excited

A more complete view of PS2's lattice system.
More meaningful facility benefits.
The coming of the near mythical test server.

While this won't be all that I believe is required, the potential is enormous.
This right here may very well make me come out of retirement!

One quick note. I would like to see more defensible positions around each of the factions' border, akin to the one north of Hvar.
I am really looking forward to seeing how you guys end up changing Indar to better allow for this new system.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-14 at 09:10 AM.
Old 2013-03-14, 05:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
igster
Sergeant

Great news and good way to approach this.

Love the fact that you are taking out the variable capture timers - finally we're going to get some Planetside moments back in the game. The new players will wet themselves when they get to experience these last minute recaptures / gal drops by a proper organised team.
Proper co-ordinated teamplay will now be possible

All systems have pros/cons - some of which you don't work out until you try them. With a test server we should be able to iron out the big issues

GJ Malorn / Devs
Old 2013-03-14, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Assist
Contributor
Major

All good changes in that post.
Old 2013-03-14, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Awesome changes. This is a step in the right direction imo. It also is going to help out some of the smaller Spec Op outfits giving them a defining role now.

Old 2013-03-14, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

This is a giant leap in the correct direction. Obviously it will need refinement but that's what the test server is for.

Well done Mallorn and the dozens and dozens of other voices that were begging for this kind of structure. Well done SOE for finally taking the advice on board.

This will bring vets and players jaded with the mindless free for all back to the game.

It will give small and medium sized Outfits a role.
Old 2013-03-14, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
ringring
Contributor
General

I agree with everyone who commented. This is a giant step in the right direction.

I'll be interested in seeing:
- what length the timer is, I'd want it to be long enough for resecure battles to occur and to bring back the "Yes!" when a closely fought capture or resecure is achieved.
- what the new base benefits are, I'd prefer something that hurts or conversely really boosts your empire. e.g. extra health/armour/loss of special abilities for troopers
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion