Fairness in Holiday Representation / Auraxian Holidays - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: KHAAAAN!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-18, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rukgo
Private

Re: Fairness in Holiday Representation / Auraxian Holidays

There should be a x-mas holiday guaiz
Old 2012-07-18, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Zidane
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Shadowrath View Post
There are more people who enjoy the events than get irritated by them. Get over it. :|
Agreed!
Old 2012-07-18, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Boomhowser
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
What I hate making everyone run around in xmas hats and drop presents it's just stupid.
So this is a good thing then.. your accuracy will improve tenfold as holiday rage overcomes you and you destroy everything remotely seen in a santa hat!!

As for presents dropping umm since we have no inventory we have nothing to pick up unless they start gifting station cash! so I highly doubt you'll see presents drop during holidays..
Old 2012-07-18, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
IgloGlass
Master Sergeant

I would like for a christmas holiday, perhaps easter and St. Patty's as well but not much more.

What I want to see for christmas is what they did in the first Modern Warfare!
Have the bombs sound like Santa, ho ho ho, and add a few christmas trees and gifts around the maps!

But jewish holidays? The holidays must be a representation of the majority of players, we can't just cater to everyone. Fact is that most people will either be christian or atheist (Pretty much everyone in Sweden is atheist, hallelujah) so including some random holiday you haven't heard of to "battle oppression".. Sorry but it just seems so unnecessary and unuseful.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Canaris
Contributor
General

yeah if there going to have holidays in game they should replace the RL with special PS2 holidays, the timing is fine due to people in RL being off for various holidays.

like Xmas/whatever become - Landfall day (Land fall day celebrates the day the people of the fleet first arrived planetside to there new home of Auraxis and began colonization

Easter/whatever becomes Connery Day - still celebrated by almost all the people of Auraxis this day marks when Connery and Discovery 7 were blown up. Everyone agrees that a noble hero of the people was lost (celebrated by all three factions even tho they blame each other over his death)

St. Patrick's Day becomes - Loyalty/Separatist/Advancement day - This is a bit more faction specific but in principle is the same, the NC celebrate the day they threw off the chains of TR oppression, the TR celebrate how they are the only faction to have remained true to the TR of the Sol system and the VS celebrate the day they first began to integrate technology into themselves.

just a rough guide but you get the general idea.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2012-07-18 at 07:12 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

The only holiday expirience I saw in Battlefield (DC Mod) was one New Years on an East Coast Server (Turdferguson Server I think) everyone said to pause from fighting for 1 minute to message something you were thankful for...........everyone stopped and about 20 seconds later someone slammed the A-10 into a clan group trying to take a screenshot standing in a circle in their homebase......it was awesome and took the fighting to the next level, like a mini-TeT offensive, I was up till dawn New Years Day that night...
Old 2012-07-18, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

How about the Engineer can buy an ACE from the shop to deploy a Christmas tree.
Player deployed christmas decoration.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Too much holidays to think of. Ramadan+Eid would be a whole month of an event.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Dagron
Captain

I'm all for holidays in the game and i see the point in making them more Auraxian, not all countries celebrate the same holidays and when they do it might not be in the same way, so giving it a more Planetside twist might help people connect more with the festivities.

Also, i agree that if they try to bring all the holidays of every culture into the game we would have nothing but holidays. Maybe they could add just a few of the big ones from widely spread cultures... i dunno, it's up to them really.

Another thing, if holidays bothers too many people in a general principle, maybe they could still make them and just stay away from the more flashy stuff like pumpkins, pine trees and colored eggs.

In that case, decorations adequate to each holiday could be subtle but still help set the mood, for example: around bases different color schemes and/or ambient lighting should suffice, all vehicles and troops that spawned during a holiday could have patches of that holiday's colors added to their basic schemes/patterns, some fireworks launched by players or around footholds could also work, etc. The environment could also help, like having snow during xmas, a 24h night during halloween, meteor showers could light up the night sky during the 4th of july, and other stuff i can't think of right now.

All of that should be festive enough without breaking the game's original mood too much.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-18 at 11:05 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Everyone this is not a thread for you to trash religion or argue about it. Devs have stated there will likely be holiday events in this game, so this is a valid topic. If you don't agree with having these events in here simply say you would rather not see them or don't bother replying.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Sephirex
Major

Should do it like google. Celebrate every damn thing..
Happy Birthday Isaac Asimov!
Old 2012-07-18, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

I don't know what World of Warcraft did on European Servers but what they did on American servers was pretty awesome.

Basically they took real holidays and molded them towards the lore, but not so that they were unidentifiable at a glance.

They had Feast of Winter's Veil (Christmas), Pilgrim's Bounty (Thanksgiving), Love is in the Air (Valentine's Day), Brewfest (Oktoberfest), Noblegarden (Easter), Hallow's End (Halloween), and New Years.

I always thought that system was really good, and they also threw in a few made up holidays just for fun, such as the Lunar Festival and the Mid-Summer Fire Festival.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
The only holiday expirience I saw in Battlefield (DC Mod) was one New Years on an East Coast Server (Turdferguson Server I think) everyone said to pause from fighting for 1 minute to message something you were thankful for...........everyone stopped and about 20 seconds later someone slammed the A-10 into a clan group trying to take a screenshot standing in a circle in their homebase......it was awesome and took the fighting to the next level, like a mini-TeT offensive, I was up till dawn New Years Day that night...
Who plays video games at new years?
Old 2012-07-18, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
noxious
Second Lieutenant

Since the game has regional servers I see no reason that, if holidays are celebrated in-game at all, preference shouldn't be given to the most important holidays in each region. Resources being finite, we cannot expect SOE to do something for every holiday, so it makes sense that they would target only the most culturally relevant holidays.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Celebrate every damn thing..
Happy Birthday Isaac Asimov!
Haha, right on!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion