Maximizing your BR, tips on playing Planetside effetively with a low BR Character - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you like ....... Pie?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2007-07-27, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
choi_sunbe
Private

Maximizing your BR, tips on playing Planetside effetively with a low BR Character

Hi, I'm ChoiSunbe from Emerald NC.
I used to play with my outfitmates in PlanetsideKorea.
However, after the end of Reserve campaign, I couldn't join back to the game I loved.

Something special about me is that... ( I'm not proud of it though) I played Planetside without paying much. I used numorous 7-day trial keys, a few 10-day ones from outfitmates, my own from 3 months of subscription.
Now, I'm hunting for the 30-day trial keys.

In my case, where I had to creat many new characters, and stop it after 7 days, or staying with BR 6 in the Reserve, I had to play the game with a different perspective. I will be showing tips that I have learned along the way. This guide would be more suitable to players who are used to the games, or those who just want to learn more.

Basic concept of maximizing the BR, is to maximize the cert points you have.Simple.

The first step, actually, is to obtain BR 4 as soon as possible, 20 minutes when used to making new characters.
Why? because BR 4 means more cert points.
How? by going to VR rooms. Try all weapons, MAX and REXO suits, equipments, and drive all vehicles including BFR and air carfts, and most of the gunner seats.

So what's next?
Here, you're on your own of choosing what roles you want to play. But I can give you tips on certaing certs that can be maximized. ( However, these are only my own opinions )

Medium Assault - 2 cert points
+You get 3 weapons from 2 cert points.
+Even tough suppressor is a good weapong, ESMA, is a better weapon, with a bigger magazine and damage
+Sweeper does wonders in close range

-HA is better ( but it cost 4 cert and not good in medium to long range)
-Hard to fight against max and vehicles

Fighting with MA in agile is a disadvantage in infantry fights in Planetside, but I find it the least cert comsuming and still doing what others are doing, trying to spam-kill. You can get more advanced weapons or Rexo suit but it is cert-costly.If you want to spend more cert points on them. I advise to get Rexo and a advanced weapon cert, so as to make use of the weapon with inventory space and better protection.

Poor man's SA, thats what they call Punisher. With its single-shot-and-reload secondary fire, it is hardly effective.
But, in a tower hugging situations, it is possible to mimic a role of thumper with 2 cert points. Set a favorite with 2 grenades in both pistol slot, and a grenade loaded Punisher. When I want to move up/ down the stairs in a tower, but sense an enemy wall hugger, I would aim a 3 sec delayed grenade to the suspected enemy position, then throw no-delay grenade, finally pulling out punisher to throw the last grenade and/or finish the enemy off with 9mm.

How about AV? is there a way to get rid of vehicles with MA?
Sadly, the only advise I have for this is to use Jammer, or get inside a vehicle. However, I do have ways to deal with max without AV or SA. First one is to carry a box of gold ammo, (yes, its easy to guess), the other is to carry a gold ammo loaded AMP of scatter pistol.

The second method, is effective against MAX in a close quarter situation. This would be the most case, because, if there is MAX and I'm in agile, I run. So, a MAX just poped out of nowhere, I would pull my loaded pistol quickly from the inventory, like I would with decimeter, close up and circle around the max, ( hey I'm agile ) and hope for the best. This method does not give me the ability to kill maxes, but I can deal 1 deci-shot of damage against it, and my team mates might come in and save the 'poor' agile.

The support cert. Engineering, Medical, Hacking, what would I use? Engineering.
The reason is, I can do many things with 3 cert points on Engineering while, Medical and Hacking requires full 5 cert points to fully maximize it. With Engineering I can 'heal' people('s armor) repair MAX, vehicles and buildings. I replenish my hp ( and somethimes my team mate's) with medkits, while I feel a hacking support role is too luxurious to a low BR character.

In conclusing, with a least cert points spent, it is possible to do what others are doing in game. However, it is not a 100% effective way. However, with less cert points spent on certain areas, it is possible to assume more of the other roles with the extra cert points.
Last tip, do the roles you like in Planetside, and keep learning the new ones that you might love.

Last edited by choi_sunbe; 2007-07-27 at 08:32 AM.
Old 2007-07-27, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Jrgsubzero
Private

Re: Maximizing your BR, tips on playing Planetside effetively with a low BR Character

Lucky you found so many keys.
Old 2007-07-27, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Skullbandit
Private

Re: Maximizing your BR, tips on playing Planetside effetively with a low BR Character

That's really helpful, thanks
Old 2007-07-28, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
xfidoizx
Private

ive played alot of low level characters too, one thing i did not know was that if you hit "u" and go under training missions, they will teach you how to do alot of the basics and give u 500 exp per mission, doing this and the vehicle and weapon training u can get br 4 or 5 without killing anyone
Old 2007-07-29, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
RhemaWarrior
Private

Man this sounds like fun, cannot wait to get started! I loved the teamwork required in Tribes and this sounds way more structured.
Old 2007-07-31, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
zoenc
Private

"Man this sounds like fun, cannot wait to get started! I loved the teamwork required in Tribes and this sounds way more structured."

well i havent played tribes but there is a tremendous amount of teamwork needed in this game, tons of vehicles and weapons, tactics strategies continents, rewards, and always new stuff coming out, maybe even a new empire!!
Old 2007-07-31, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ultraviolente
Private

Sounds really nice, although i don't understand most of the abbreviations you used yet. :P
What i got out of this though, was that engineering is nice when you have other ppl around you, and that regularily training your BR up is crucial. Thanx.
Old 2007-08-01, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Eldrac
Private

Pretty good advice for a new player, thanks for the post, lucky you to get so many keys though, wish I could've done that.
Old 2007-08-02, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Farfle
Private

I've played Tribes quite a bit and the teamwork in it can be immense. It all depends on what mod you play, really. The Mod I play (and still play) forces teamwork by use of vehicles to capture the flag. The capper can't carry the flag and pilot a vehicle at the same time, so a teammate must drive him. Very fun and intense teamplay, especially during matches.

From the limited Planetside i've played, I've actually experienced less teamplay than that of Tribes. The reason for this is it's so easy to go anywhere relatively quickly, respawn pretty much right after you die, and no penalty for dieing in the first place. Granted Planetside's gameplay is a lot slower compared to Tribes (again, all depending on what mods are played...but in general gameplay is slower in PS), so there's more opportunities for teamwork. Also, I find Planetside's overall lack of central goal a big inhibitor on teamwork sometimes as well. Unless you're in a tight outfit, I don't think you'll find too many squads that actually use teamwork
Old 2007-08-11, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Afterwind
Private

thanks a bunch for the information. Hopefully it'll help me out when I start playing soon
Old 2007-08-13, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
F4b0
Private

this is a very helpful 3d ..... by the way when there was the reserve program and when i reach br6 i took medical and engineering , with HA ....it is a bad choice but i liked it becouse i could heal my self and repair people , and becouse i'm not a good shooter with those specialization i could be helpful in the groun and i obtained medical badge and engineering badge really fast ....
Old 2007-08-14, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Soadconnor2
Banned

Well this definately helps, as im going to be restarting with a new avatar. I can't help but say, i dont think there's a way around being foder at low levels.
Old 2007-08-21, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ultimars
Private

thanks for the great tips, I'm printing this out and I will use this when I get going!

thanks a bunch!
Old 2007-08-21, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
newguy23
Private

That's really helpful, thanks alot!
Old 2007-08-22, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
DarkReaper250
Private

this really helps alot. i hav one question. should i use the cycler rather than the punisher if i want to use assault weapons?

o and my friend wants to be a sniper so should he use the light or medium armour?

and if i want to be a sniper should i use light or medium armour?

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2007-08-22 at 12:19 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion