Making this work - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A day without PSU is like....well...um...hell I don't know.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-08, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Re: Making this work

At it's very base, the game should be Buy2Play. This way, anyone treating it like any other FPS can simply purchase the game and join in. If you pay for the subs, you get various perks towards training, or maybe getting to the front of the queue for a poplocked area. Offering convenience for subscription members is the best policy, but somewhere in there, there has to be the real hook. Speeding up training may seem like a "pay for power" play, but honestly, how many here would pay monthly simply to get moved to the front of the line for a poplock?

Then of course, we have cosmetic micro-transactions, which could include various different forms of sights, silencers, face masks, armor pieces, etc. Stuff that already exists in game already, and could even by tied to specific certs/skills, one would just have access to alternate models and textures.

B2P also discourages hackers, cheaters, and all other forms of rampant griefing a pure F2P would have. If any of them are willing to constantly shell out $60 for new accounts, an additional subscription wouldn't stop them. They'd probably never survive their first free month.
Old 2011-08-08, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Avirau
Private

Full-price box purchase. Microtransactions should be EXCLUSIVELY for cosmetic items - no "pay-to-win" items whatsoever. A small sub fee would certainly be acceptable, but I don't think I'd want to pay $15 a month for too long on top of a full purchase.
Old 2011-08-08, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

B2P for a big price. Faster XP via premiums. Aesthetic micros. Plus, maybe, more expensive Outfit micros, allowing aesthitics outfit-wise, exclusive for only outfit-purchase.
Old 2011-08-08, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SavageB
First Sergeant

Box cost (49.99)
Monthly sub fee (15)- STANDARD
MT

This is what its going to be, rant and rave all you want about any other ideas, it isnt gonna happen, although I m sure some of your ideas are respected on these forums, all I see is rubbish.
Old 2011-08-08, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SavageB View Post
Box cost (49.99)
Monthly sub fee (15)- STANDARD
MT

This is what its going to be, rant and rave all you want about any other ideas, it isnt gonna happen, although I m sure some of your ideas are respected on these forums, all I see is rubbish.
Umm, I'm pretty sure SOE has the sense to see that 15 a month with no other options is a VERY bad idea considering today's FPS playerbase.
Old 2011-08-08, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
Umm, I'm pretty sure SOE has the sense to see that 15 a month with no other options is a VERY bad idea considering today's FPS playerbase.
Why is that?

Kids can go out and spend 20 bucks on a friday night going to see a movie at the theatres but cant chuck out 15 bucks a month for game that will give you a MONTHS worth of entertainment??? Worked for every other MMO....Just cause they are not RPG players doesnt mean they will not know the diff/value of a good game. If your reasoning is because FPS players cant afford 15 a month, or you for ex. cant afford 15 a month ( which I know is not true cause I see you in PS1 now as is) then what are they doing with there free time playing games anyways I personally, do not have any problems forking out 60+ bucks for the box plus 15 a month for years of patches, expansions etc. It's been the standard for years, I cannot see it changing anytime soon with this game. If the fanbase want whats best for the game, then fork out the money. If you want years of of entertainment, then fork out the money. Someone mentioned something like what APB did...LOL....look what happened to that game. This is the difference, SOE will put lots of content in this game , unlike other companies trying to rob the playerbase, IE. Hi-Rez with LOl agenda tried , IE. APB tried, but turned out to be a joke. As I said previous which is my personal opinon, expect $15/month for a sub to this game or something around that figure give or take a dollar or two.

If you are talking about all the halo fanboys, I couldnt care less because they are all 12 year old brats anyways, cant say Id want them around as is.

Oh and Higby, T-ray or even you smed, if you are reading this, please give us an option that we can buy a year sub or even lifetime, I know I would be down for it.

Last edited by SavageB; 2011-08-08 at 06:08 PM.
Old 2011-08-08, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Why is that?

Kids can go out and spend 20 bucks on a friday night going to see a movie at the theatres but cant chuck out 15 bucks a month for game that will give you a MONTHS worth of entertainment??? Worked for every other MMO....Just cause they are not RPG players doesnt mean they will know the diff/value of a good game.
Personally I always considered PS sub one of the minor factors that caused its downfall.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Personally I always considered PS sub one of the minor factors that caused its downfall.
It had nothing to do with it's downfall at all. First off, planetside unforuntately was released ahead of it's time, secondly some game mechanics were implemented in correctly AKA BFR. The community wanted something like a "heavy" tank, SOE just went about it in the wrong way. Also, cheating became a huge problem after a while, but in all honesty I think it's real problem even before the game came out was the lack of marketing for the game. I did not even know about it until a associate of mine said hes trying out this 7 day trial to this newish game called Planetside. I was a hardcore FPS player for years and never onec heard about that game until he mentioned it to me, which I found very strange.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, SOE also continued to put out more expansions or , new stuff when the previous stuff implemented in the game was clearly broken and unbalanced, this was a huge problem for a lot of people, in this game or any.

Last edited by SavageB; 2011-08-08 at 06:12 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-08, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
That, and Smed already said there would be "free to play elements".

Its part of the story....how much of it remains to be seen. I think these hybrid models similar to DDO are pretty dead-on.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
That, and Smed already said there would be "free to play elements".

Its part of the story....how much of it remains to be seen. I think these hybrid models similar to DDO are pretty dead-on.
The only free part I can see is a socialization aspect or a low level cap. As you know as well as I do that no one would enjoy that, but it remains to be unseen what that will encompass.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Huma
Sergeant

Personally I hope they use the same system their using for EQ2. You can play but you have limited access to the game. If you pay the monthly then you get full access. I can see that getting abused though. Look at the trial account issue we had with hackers. But the monthly has to stay. That constant stream of revenue is what keeps the game going and content coming.

Last edited by Huma; 2011-08-08 at 06:20 PM.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

It had nothing to do with it's downfall at all. First off, planetside unforuntately was released ahead of it's time, secondly some game mechanics were implemented in correctly AKA BFR. The community wanted something like a "heavy" tank, SOE just went about it in the wrong way. Also, cheating became a huge problem after a while, but in all honesty I think it's real problem even before the game came out was the lack of marketing for the game. I did not even know about it until a associate of mine said hes trying out this 7 day trial to this newish game called Planetside. I was a hardcore FPS player for years and never onec heard about that game until he mentioned it to me, which I found very strange.
I've knew about this game from PCG, but I couldn't afford it until the price was adapted to Russian market. That only happened in 2006.

Also, you know, I didn't return to ps until I got 45 days thingy. I mean I wasn't willing to pay to return to a game I bought and wasted around 190$ to keep playing it. And that is all considering that PS key costs 5 bucks in Russia. Now if you multiply it by 3 you get 570 bucks for a mere European.

Originally Posted by Huma View Post
No fast xp,
Fast XP does not ruin the game unless leveling takes half a year, wanker mode on...

Last edited by NewSith; 2011-08-08 at 06:16 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-08, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The only free part I can see is a socialization aspect or a low level cap. As you know as well as I do that no one would enjoy that, but it remains to be unseen what that will encompass.
I imagine it would be more than fodderside, which was more of a free demo than it was free-to-play. They can do quite a bit of stuff with free to play. Its all about finding the right tradeoffs for paying vs not paying. Gotta make the paying worthwhile without resorting to power. Convenience and vanity are the usual methods, or being able to store more stuff (resources, bank slots, etc).
Old 2011-08-08, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I've knew about this game from PCG, but I couldn't afford it until the price was adapted to Russian market. That only happened in 2006.

Also, you know, I didn't return to ps until I got 45 days thingy. I mean I wasn't willing to pay to return to a game I bought and wasted around 190$ to keep playing it. And that is all considering that PS key costs 5 bucks in Russia. Now if you multiply it by 3 you get 570 bucks for a mere European.
I also returned on that 45 day pass on both my accounts, first time Ive played PS since 06....I missed the game for years, but leveling up in PS gets you know where in life but now that Im BR40 in real life aka Instrumentation Engineer working with an international well know eng. firm designing oil and gas plants, I may return to the game I missed so much and look forward to its growth as the sequel approaches.

Maybe it's harder for some of you to afford 15 a month( not saying you Newsith), but as I stated previous, if you want a AAA game then the money has to be there from the fanbase as the game goes on. Smed stated that they will layout a three year plan for us to review and to encourage and give feedback on what we think will be right or wrong, where will that money come from??? Certainly not from a F2P game thats for sure, certainly not from a 4.99/ month sub fee either. This is a business, this is also something that hasnt really been done to this scale ever in the FPS world, so much opportunity and Im glad and happy that it is Planetside 2 breaking out and Im more than happy to chip in my 15/ month and watch this in excitment for the future.

On another note, there will not be any XP advantages because of money, they want this game to be fair to everyone, if you want more xp, then play the game more then He/She next to you, to me that is fair and right.

EDIT:Something else I forgot to mention, Blizzard is currently making there FPS MMO called TITAN, do any of you think that the sub will be anything less than 15 a month?? I highly doubt it.

Last edited by SavageB; 2011-08-08 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2011-08-08, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I imagine it would be more than fodderside, which was more of a free demo than it was free-to-play. They can do quite a bit of stuff with free to play. Its all about finding the right tradeoffs for paying vs not paying. Gotta make the paying worthwhile without resorting to power. Convenience and vanity are the usual methods, or being able to store more stuff (resources, bank slots, etc).
Ya I hear ya, but I think a good majority of those F2P players will eventually see the amazingness and then sub
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion