If we encounter a technological inferior race when we are in space. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Warning: Troll crossing
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Old 2012-08-24, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Warhound
Corporal

Re: If we encounter a technological inferior race when we are in space.

Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
Sticks and stones?
With the way it's going I wouldn't doubt it..
Old 2012-08-26, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Kyonye
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Have you met the human race? They will kill each other by the millions for no valid reason whatsoever. So killing non humans would hardly be a leap.
Very true. Animals have a harder time killing their own beings over others. If a human can kill a human, they won't have any issue killing even a separate sentient being.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2012-08-26, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Kyonye View Post
Very true. Animals have a harder time killing their own beings over others. If a human can kill a human, they won't have any issue killing even a separate sentient being.
You guys make it sound like killers and murderers makeup the majority of humanity.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-08-26, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
You guys make it sound like killers and murderers makeup the majority of humanity.
It would not be merely killing or murder. It would be war, no matter how one sided it was.

Old 2012-09-10, 04:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant

I disagree regarding people killing aliens, unless like those of you suggested they have something we want and we have the means to get to them. The problem is, no matter where you go resources are abundant in space. That includes water, oxygen gold..etc... You name it and its up there in quantities more than enough to sustain millions of times the current earth's population. Mining and expanding into space will likely stop all wars regarding the scarcity of resources. Thus, would change the military in whole to defend against unearthly beings instead.

There is a extraterrestrial theory which suggests aliens would be no more interested in us, as a person walking in a jungle that stumbles upon a colony of ants. They may be so far ahead of us, that taking the time to get to know us would not be beneficial. We may be interesting to look at, but not significant.

Stephen Hawkins and Michio Kaku both believe our first encounter will be by a mechanized probe of sorts. Basically what that suggests is, we won't be killing an alien but a highly advanced satellite. However, there is a problem:

Astronomers have confirmed the existence of a nearly Earth-sized planet in the "habitable zone" around a star not unlike our own.

The planet, Kepler 22-b, lies about 600 light-years away and is about 2.4 times the size of Earth, and models suggest it has a temperature of about 22C.

How Long is a Light-Year?
The light-year is a measure of distance, not time. It is the total distance that a beam of light, moving in a straight line, travels in one year. To obtain an idea of the size of a light-year, take the circumference of the earth (24,900 miles), lay it out in a straight line, multiply the length of the line by 7.5 (the corresponding distance is one light-second), then place 31.6 million similar lines end to end. The resulting distance is almost 6 trillion (6,000,000,000,000) miles!

What this means... Since nothing we know of can travel this fast yet, is there is a small probability I will be joining the space marines within the next 200 years to shoot me some acid green filled slimy alien creatures, because their girlfriends look like green Pamela Anderson's and I want 6 all to myself!

Last edited by Ipimpnoobs; 2012-09-10 at 04:27 AM.
Old 2012-09-12, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
CutterJohn
Colonel

If they are some tribal society through industrial society, we'd probably make contact and do anthropological studies, after MUCH debate.

If they have advanced to the point of having nukes and whatnot, we'd probably leave them alone, since we would be an insanely destabilizing force in the world.

There is nothing they have that will be valuable enough to bring back to earth. There is no unobtanium. The only thing of interest will be to the social and life sciences.

Now assuming we have star trek technology, can easily and cheaply cross the gulf of space in private spaceships, we'd have to make contact and blockade their planet(to keep us out, not them in), since in that scenario, contact would be inevitable, so it would preferably be by officials.

Attack? Exploit? Not anymore. Not in anything like todays society or better. Hell there are still uncontacted tribes of people on this planet. We have protected lands all over the place. There is no way interference on that planet would be tolerated. If there were trade, there would be massive amounts of regulations to prevent exploitation and passing on dangerous objects.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-09-12 at 03:45 AM.
Old 2012-09-12, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I do want to believe we would be altruistic, but my experience with the human race tells me fear is the primary instinct by which it operates. And I do honestly believe that fear will find a way to screw up our first interstellar relationship.

I also happen to believe we probably won't make any contact until we are an interstellar federation of sorts with several colonies outside of Sol. Which means we would be in a position to allow fear to fulminate into a sword of terrible purpose.

Old 2012-09-12, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I will establish illegal weapon trafficing.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-09-12, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
CutterJohn
Colonel

I do want to believe we would be altruistic, but my experience with the human race tells me fear is the primary instinct by which it operates. And I do honestly believe that fear will find a way to screw up our first interstellar relationship.

I also happen to believe we probably won't make any contact until we are an interstellar federation of sorts with several colonies outside of Sol. Which means we would be in a position to allow fear to fulminate into a sword of terrible purpose.
Fear has a good chance of fucking it up if we met a stronger race, and I'm virtually certain fear would fuck up a meeting of equals. Inferior, though? Nah. We're pretty good about taking care of stuff so long as it doesn't inconvenience us greatly. Considering there is pretty much nothing on the planet we'd need or could profitably exploit, they'd be fine.

Unless they looked like Aliens. Wouldn't matter how peace loving and amazing they are.
Old 2012-09-12, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Look at our history with lessor developed humans... we have a terribly bad habit of killing them off or enslaving them. I can't imagine we would consider sentient humans any higher, especially from a position of superiority.

I would be thrilled to be wrong though.

Old 2012-09-12, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Look at our history with lessor developed humans... we have a terribly bad habit of killing them off or enslaving them. I can't imagine we would consider sentient humans any higher, especially from a position of superiority.

I would be thrilled to be wrong though.
What Cutter is saying is that we will be to the point we won't be doing that shit. I would think if we can cross star systems like that we would have really no reason to interfere with a less technological evolved civilization. I'm not saying humans are going to be all peace loving, but if we came across equal/stronger civilizations you bet your ass it wouldn't be the same kind of reaction as what was said already.

Who really knows anyway? We all will be long dead before any human probably even makes it past Mars :/.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-09-12 at 09:54 PM.
Old 2012-09-13, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Elude
First Sergeant

If such an event happened we'd probably avoid direct contact and instead communicate through machines and signals. On the other hand mankind in the future will also be heavily divided regardless of our behaviors so I think it's safe to assume that not everyone will be friendly to the new kid on the block.
Old 2012-10-13, 05:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
MightyMan
Corporal

Don't forget to dissect and research their corpses, to salvage any useful biological attributes we can apply to ourselves in the near future.
Also try to enslave them and make them the new 19th century Africans so that they feel bad with them selves.
And keep some in the zoos.
And apply their meat in various meals in case they are extra ordinarily tasty.
And make an extra America on their planet, so that republicans and democrats can both get their own governments (supah american freedomx2).
Yeh I'm done.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum