gal drops/ transport gameplay? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What's A Planetside???
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-22, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Frostedawg
Private

Question gal drops/ transport gameplay?

Ok so not sure if anyone has mentioned anything on if they are changing how galaxy's work and what not. I know id rather have gal drops function more like an actuall airborne drops... like instead of hopping in a seat and seeing the gal from 3rd person for a 2-10 min flight depending on where your going maybe having an interior to the gal with either side doors or a back door that the pilot can open and close. so you can walk onto the gal and see everyone inside... and a few things to go along with that maybe having an ams style inventory station inside the gal so that troops can re-arm and get weapons gear on the way to a drop... oh and parachutes that can be opened by the player so you can jump and pull or maybe freefall and open closer to the ground... I dont know i was just thinking if they are making over the flight mechanics maybe they could overhaul gal function...
Old 2011-07-22, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Re: gal drops/ transport gameplay?

Originally Posted by Frostedawg View Post
and a few things to go along with that maybe having an ams style inventory station inside the gal so that troops can re-arm and get weapons gear on the way to a drop...
I believe they've mentioned the ability to spawn inside Galaxies, so even if there isn't a physical representation of what you can see inside the plane, I'm fairly certain they'll have an equipment interface for you to change gear before the drop.

Spawning inside Galaxies...man. Interesting.
Old 2011-07-22, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

There was nothing more exciting than the hot drops we used to do. Three full Gals screaming in on a "low and fast", nosing up at the last minute to get some slight altitude and crossing the LZ. Then watching my troops drop in a tight ball over the selected target.

Beautiful...I hope this is still in the game.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2011-07-22, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

Indeed!

There will be galaxy drops in, I don't remember who said it at the event but they said it wouldn't be PlanetSide without Galaxy Drops

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-22, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
I believe they've mentioned the ability to spawn inside Galaxies, so even if there isn't a physical representation of what you can see inside the plane, I'm fairly certain they'll have an equipment interface for you to change gear before the drop.

Spawning inside Galaxies...man. Interesting.
I know there are more than a few Reaver pilots salivating at the idea of downing a flying AMS.

Old 2011-07-22, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't see a huge issue with allowing spawning in a gal while it's airborne. We already have AMSes for ground based spawning, and an air vehicle over hostile territory in Planetside is taking a pretty sizeable risk.

I'm curious whether they'll allow spawning in other ground/air transport vehicles, assuming they're in the game.
Old 2011-07-22, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I don't see a huge issue with allowing spawning in a gal while it's airborne. We already have AMSes for ground based spawning, and an air vehicle over hostile territory in Planetside is taking a pretty sizeable risk.
Wait did they say we'll have AMS in the game? I don't remember them saying that. I could definitely see a galaxy taking over the roll. Spawning in a galaxy while it's flying seems odd really. I'd expect it to land and turn on an AMS mode with terminals. So players could spawn at it and jump inside if they wanted.

If we could spawn in the air it would need to be over friendly skies I'd think. Imagine hovering or flying in a circle over a base just dropping soldiers. That totally messes up the combat system we're used to I'd imagine.
Old 2011-07-22, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I hope that gal spawning is limited to squads/platoons because empire wide spawning in a gal would be for lack of a better word.....retarded.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-22, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Wait did they say we'll have AMS in the game?
They did. Or it's listed here at least: http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=36527

I don't see spawning in an airborne gal over a base as significantly different from spawning in an AMS at a base. If you don't want people in your courtyard, kill the spawnpoint. If you can't kill the spawnpoint, then you've lost the courtyard.

It would also make sense to have this be a highly specialized role for the gal though, as someone else already mentioned. Like a module that would be interchangeable with heavier armor, or more cargo, or a proper weapons loadout. It should be more defensible than an AMS, but far more obvious.
Old 2011-07-22, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

I hope that landing is cooler though. I want to be dropped in a pod, with retros firing, it lands, and the pod blows apart.

Also, a bit of control over where you land would be nice. Enough steering to change where you land by 20m or so.
Old 2011-07-22, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I hope that landing is cooler though. I want to be dropped in a pod, with retros firing, it lands, and the pod blows apart.
Old 2011-07-22, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I really hope to see some bugs with Galaxy spawning in the beta.

It would be epic to see a 100 person person gal drop.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-22, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Yepp, some of my best memories from Planetside and my time with my old outfit involved Galaxy drops.

I hope they work in similar way because anything else would be a dissapointment. I want to feel the same adrenaline rush when I drop through the sky with the rest of my squad mates and land on a hot enemy territory were utter chais starts and gun fire and explosions everywhere.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-07-22, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sirisian
Colonel

Would be cool if there was a skill upgrade to cloak the Galaxy when it's in AMS mode on the ground.
Old 2011-07-22, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Would be cool if there was a skill upgrade to cloak the Galaxy when it's in AMS mode on the ground.
I was actually thinking about the same. Extremely specialized Gal pilots should be able to cloak the vehicle (much like you would do in real life by throwing some camo stuff on tanks etc when they arnt in use) while in ground. Naturally only while still and on ground, no invisible flying Galaxies, please

I don't think it necessarily has to work as AMS on the ground (maybe only in air, but i guess why not on ground too, but maybe op)

talking about invisible galaxies, wonder if Phantasm will return?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion