Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't Touch The Button
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Fuse
Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
Why would it not simulate a futuristic war? I see 3 factions battling with combined arms and different weapons over territories. It simulates a war in it's own logic as most war fps games do.

The amount of realism to it is a debatable point though. Same would go for BF3
Ok, so you just don't know what "simulation" means in this context.

Welcome to gaming! PS2 will be a great first game for you.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Many people are pointing out that prone will only slow down gameplay. That's actually one of the reasons having prone interests me - from the *sounds* of things PS2 is going to be fast paced run-and-gun. That honestly worries me.

Of courses this is just pure speculation until we get in there and see for ourselves.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
LegioX
First Sergeant

WW2OL used prone and it is a MMO
Old 2012-06-01, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by QuantumMechanic View Post
Many people are pointing out that prone will only slow down gameplay. That's actually one of the reasons having prone interests me - from the *sounds* of things PS2 is going to be fast paced run-and-gun. That honestly worries me.

Of courses this is just pure speculation until we get in there and see for ourselves.
The irony is that in previous threads people are lauding the fact that PS IS a slower game and not so fast paced like your modern day twitch shooters. These vets have no idea what they want...
Old 2012-06-01, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by LegioX View Post
WW2OL used prone and it is a MMO
It was a war simulator like ARMA. PS2 is not.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
The irony is that in previous threads people are lauding the fact that PS IS a slower game and not so fast paced like your modern day twitch shooters. These vets have no idea what they want...
I'm not complaining about it slowing down gameplay, I'm complaining about the uses being dolphin diving and camping. You KNOW for a fact that that's what the vast majority of people will use it for.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

I wouldn't say that prone encourages camping. Rather, it disincentivizes aggressive gameplay. Attacking against a prepared enemy is hard enough as it is. Defenders are already more accurate since they don't need to move and they have the benefit of cover. Prone simply gives them even more accuracy and more cover. The biggest downside of prone is the lack of mobility, but this is more disadvantageous to the attacking force than the defending force. Not having prone simply allows the attacking force a bit more parity with the defending force.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
LegioX
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I'm not complaining about it slowing down gameplay, I'm complaining about the uses being dolphin diving and camping. You KNOW for a fact that that's what the vast majority of people will use it for.
And all you have to do is limit the ability to go prone and have a cool down effect. Just b/c prone is in, doesnt mean dolphin diving will be the norm.

Hell, people going prone in BF 3 were the easiest to kill. Never moved and just camped.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
Stardouser
Colonel

It was a war simulator like ARMA. PS2 is not.
Bear in mind that there is not some list out there of extra things that a sim must have that arcade games don't have.

WW2OL is a sim for other reasons, not because it has prone. And when I say it's a sim, it's a sim in terms of the gameplay, much like ArmA. A lot of people are hoping that PS2 will in fact be a simulator of war with arcade gameplay, meaning, of an overall strategic battle instead of deathmatch. That's what war simulator means to me, and has nothing to do with the levels of realism of the gameplay, but has to do with the scale and persistence of the game.

Putting prone in doesn't make it a sim in terms of gameplay realism, it doesn't suddenly change from arcade to ArmA because of prone.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-06-01 at 04:41 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Well I guess when you only think in extremes it's hard to understand people who are promoting the middle ground. Faster than prone camping, slower than BF3, that's where the middle ground lies.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
Ok, so you just don't know what "simulation" means in this context.

Welcome to gaming! PS2 will be a great first game for you.
No, I have not seen a 100% valid definition of "simulation" in a FPS context. Normally games are called sims when they're exeptionally realistic but I haven't found a game that would really count.
ArmA is a much a shooter game as is Planetside. There may be some differences in pace but nothing that would let them be classified as different genres.

It comes down to what the word simulation means: ArmA simulates modern war from a more tactical, low-paced perspective. PS does the same for a futuristic/scifi setting while being multiplayer only.
Both games want to feel "real" in their own context.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Envenom
Sergeant Major

That's not even an argument. Do you know HOW EASY IT IS to implement a movement restriction on that? A delay or something? lol. You're grabbing at straws now.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Stardouser
Colonel

That's not even an argument. Do you know HOW EASY IT IS to implement a movement restriction on that? A delay or something? lol. You're grabbing at straws now.
CoD is a perfect example. It has prone, and you cannot prone dive. You can't prone dive in BF3 either, but I won't say BF3 is a perfect example, because it's very slow to get in and out of prone.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
LegioX
First Sergeant

Difference between simulation and arcade

Simulation:
Have to go through Aircraft checklist to takeoff.

Arcade: Press 1 button to start engines and go.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

Arma, OpFlash, WW2OL, Ro1 (not 2 lol)

= Realism Simulation based games.

Or

MILSIM

Simulations based heavily on lifelike movement, tactics, etc. keeping it as close to "real" as you can to simulate a war/battle.

Just so we can move beyond this problem.

Last edited by ShadoViper; 2012-06-01 at 05:00 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion