Newbie looking to learn - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Uncle Hamma Wants YOU!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-08-03, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Corrupted
Private

Newbie looking to learn

I've read the two wiki guides and a variety of other starter tips in forums. I know this isn't the type of game you will jump in and start doing good in, and that any fps experience in COD means nothing here. I say this so you realize I am not a total idiot, I've probably spent more time research HOW to play rather than playing.

I die. A lot. And it seems to be the typical thing. But I don't progress for anything and I am tired of people killing me with 3 of their bullets, after I put half a clip of mine in them. Even getting the jump on someone isn't helping, and I don't just stand still.

I kno the quick fix is to dump cash into the shop, but I have a horribly tight budget so this is not an option. Joining random sqauds has only gotten me capture points, as the squad manages to clear everything out before I can really get a play in it. I spent 2 hrs rollig with a well organized squad, only to gain about 20 certs.

The most exp I've gained has been as a field medic, out of a squad, reviving ppl at some epic battles, but dying a lot myself in the process.

I need help to grow at least a little faster, as I only gain 45 certs every eh 5 hrs? I have seen ways to cert farm and I would love to meet up with some people to help me do that for a bit just so I can get a bit of a start.

I feel I am more book smart in this game than I can actually apply myself, but I feel this is more due to the lack of certs/adjusting to pc controls. I see joining an outfit is highly recommended but so far I can't seem to get into out no matter how much I yell in game or post on forums like this. No one seems to have the patients to train newbies up in this game.

So if anyone is willing to help farm some certs, add me to an outfit, or ANYTHING at all it would be greatly appericiated. I wish I joined this game upon it's release, as joining at this stage seems almost laughable (unless I dump 100$ into the shop o.o)

Ty to any and all! And please refrain from being rude, I'm just trying to learn and play the game so I can enjoy it. It feels like work right now, but I know if I can stick with it and get a little help I will love it and be very useful.
Old 2013-08-03, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Corrupted
Private

Re: Newbie looking to learn

Oh I have 2 characters, one new conglomerate and one vanu. I play on the vanu cuz someone in real life who plays told me its more for noobs. Server is the US EAST one. I have a mic but cant seem to get it working. Says it works in the settings but then when I'm in a squad no one hears me. But again in the test it shows its working. Idk maybe cuz im noob I jus go ignored? But again ne help is appericiated.

I also play as an engineer a lot but mainly just to go to points to repair generators no one thought to fix. Super boring but as sad as this is, it's been my best source of late night certs =/
Old 2013-08-04, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Micro
Sergeant Major

Hey!
What I'd recommend is you go in-game, and hit 'P' on your keyboard. This should bring up the squad/platoon list.
Here, join a platoon/squad and follow the waypoints given and listen to orders.
Feel free to ask questions in the platoon/squad chat too. (in most platoons someone is willing to answer questions).
Try a few different outfit's platoons/squads and see what you like the best.
You could ask if they are recruiting, if you would like to join them as being in a good outfit is the key to have fun and learn the game.

And I'm not gonna lie, the first 10, maybe 20 battleranks won't be easy to learn yourself trough. And don't be afraid to die. Because you will die. A lot.

Also, there is no noob faction, each have their pros and cons and easy and hard sides.

A good class to start with really depends on what you want to do. Play them all and see what you find the most fun.
I myself play the class that I find most suitable for the situation I'm in. There is no "best class" for everything.

You didn't specify which US East server you are on or your character name, so I can't give you any specific outfits that I'd recommend joining.

The best way to learn the game is actually to play it.
I'd also recommend watching a few videos on Youtube about things. There are many PlanetSide 2 Youtubers, here's a good list of them one of them (Wrel) made:
Old 2013-08-04, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

You mention the shop.

I wouldn't say the guns in there give you a great advantage. The default guns are pretty good all-rounders.

The exception are the 'other' guns for a max. ie if you want to dual-wield AI, which I'd recommend then you have to shop for it.

The other useful thing in the shop is the boosts.

Anything else from the shop you need a reason to buy. For example, do you want to be really effective at very close range (and therefore bad at long/medium) or you want a gun with more controllable recoil in order to be more effective at medium range?

Example: For me I prefer to be able to fight at a slightly longer range so I purchased gun with more controllable recoil, but they don't hit as hard at close range. However, on my medic class I like the T1 Cycler so I still play with that.

Last tip, at first for infantry put certs into forward grip, compensator, reflex sight (optional, if you like the standard stick with it) and nanoweave.
Old 2013-08-04, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Corrupted
Private

Thanks for the tips guys.

Micro: I was doing pretty much everything you have said. I spent more time researching (at first) than playing. I found a few good platoons since, and my RL friend joined me yesterday and we did a lot of good work. But whenever I ask about joining an oufit it goes ignored. I actually don't even know my character name LMAO! But I got to battle rank 10 so far.

ringring: I would say I would have similar play styles to you. I find myself being an engineer, heavy assult, or max quite often. I purchased the bundle for the max weapons and I very much enjoy them. It's a costly class for certs though, so it'll take some time to have it properly geared.

Any recommendations for a low recoil engineer gun? And is it normal to want to max out your max cooldown time (or does it get to a point where u don't want it all cuz u wont have resources? I keep em alive pretty well for the most part...) and the repair gun, making that as good as it could be since I find myself being an engineer more than anything?

And I realize there is no 1 class for everything. Took the weekend for me to really get a feel as to what I like being. I think I like the engineer class so anyone got tips for that and how to spend the certs for it let me know.

TY for all the tips and info guys!

Oh and what Vanu rocket is recommended for vehicles? I figured a lock on but there are a couple. 1k certs will take a while but worth it but need to make sure I get the right one xD And trial cooldown is nuts lol

Last edited by Corrupted; 2013-08-04 at 03:59 PM.
Old 2013-08-05, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Wahooo
Captain

you said you are on the east coast server. I'm guessing that means when you created your Vanu is suggested Waterson. Matherson is the other east coast server and the differences in those servers is night and day. Waterson vanu have population issues, and has since release. This has really hit the outfits hard and they are not noob friendly to get in touch with.
Matherson is a whole different animal with several large outfits that recruit regularly and train.

If you are sticking with Waterson, I don't know what to say, I have a waterson VS but it is more for the LULz of hunting down my TR outfit mates. I would say fix the mic issues, not sure where the issue is maybe check in the tech forum here, then join squads. Join the ones that are listed as outfits squads. If they are somewhat organized, like vanu drop squad, and you can hang with them for a couple nights they will recognize you and offer up an outfit invite.
Old 2013-08-11, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Corrupted
Private

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
you said you are on the east coast server. I'm guessing that means when you created your Vanu is suggested Waterson. Matherson is the other east coast server and the differences in those servers is night and day. Waterson vanu have population issues, and has since release. This has really hit the outfits hard and they are not noob friendly to get in touch with.
Matherson is a whole different animal with several large outfits that recruit regularly and train.

If you are sticking with Waterson, I don't know what to say, I have a waterson VS but it is more for the LULz of hunting down my TR outfit mates. I would say fix the mic issues, not sure where the issue is maybe check in the tech forum here, then join squads. Join the ones that are listed as outfits squads. If they are somewhat organized, like vanu drop squad, and you can hang with them for a couple nights they will recognize you and offer up an outfit invite.
Yeah well my friend decided to dump some SC on our VANU waterson chars so I'm locked in. I see what you mean though. Most of the time we only have like eh 30-40% being our best continent. The one day (Friday before I went to work) our best continent was 14% xD

But I got the hang of things with or without an outfit. I had one guy reply on this forum for me to join, but their website doesn't send me the confirmation so oh well.

I've actually been enjoying the game solo. Sometimes I just go around and repair everything ppl ignored while running through, or I'll join a big fight and not have people barking orders at me. It's actually been quite enjoyable.

I have 2 RL friends who also play and when they are on the three of us do a good job at capping points that seem almost or are undefended. Sometimes it starts a storm of awesomeness, sometimes its a boring way for some certs.

Thanks for all the tips here guys! Oh and I fixed my mic issues. My laptop had a stock one that was trying to work whilst I was also trying to use my turtle beach headset xD Didn't know this pc had a built in mic.
Old 2013-08-16, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
BloBBloB
Private

If theres anything left saying I suppose you could grab alot of cheap enhancers. For instance lv 1 nanoweave, or a 1.25 scope on a vehicle. They are helping me out a lot in my early levels.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions