If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pre-Moistened
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2014-05-30, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?

If we're going to do a continental map, I would suggest removing the rotating geowarps and fixing them in place, bring back old Oshur using this lattice setup:

In this setup, all continent links can be easily rotated, you have three home continents and campaigning is easy. Events could be done by linking one of the home continent links to one of the battle islands and removing the other three from the lattice for a short time.

As I recall, everyone liked it back then, even Beady was considering implementing it before he left SOE.
Old 2014-05-30, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Figment
Lieutenant General

Some other things would be designing bases around the holes in the map (since we couldn't edit the maps without having to re-seed all the trees due to lack of a proper editer, but we can edit the objects on the map).

Some other things for caves and battle islands:

Battle Islands:
Change BI rules to the standard rules.

Caves:

At minimum:
- Add Skyguard to cave vehicle spawn list

Though preferably:
- Remove all aircraft from caves. Caves without Mossie farming would be fun. With Mossie farming it's just an annoying campfest all the time.
- Redesign Redoubt, Mod and AT buildings to provide less exposed and disconnected ways to get to the top.

Last edited by Figment; 2014-05-30 at 06:02 AM.
Old 2014-05-30, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
SArais
Corporal

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
I'll start with this one.

1. Then we can work on making vehicles more customizable, no reason to keep the BFR just because of that. And yet you complain it has no established role.
2. Plently of vehicles are mobile Not to the extent of the BFR
3. No Yes
4. Tanks have power. So do aircraft. And infantry. And mechs.
5. Not a valid reason It kinda is.
6. So do every other vehicle in the game, BFR's encroach upon the niche of a well established vehicle Yes, all vehicles have a tactical use, but none are as adaptable or flexible as the BFR. The BFR is prehaps the one who can opt to do one job really well, or tackle multiple jobs at less effectivity.
7. Yes, the weapons that can pierce it take forever to kill it. That's why you aim for the shield gen. This is a TEAM game we're talking.
8. Silly mechanic So that means Certs and taking bases are also silly mechanics.

I would be alright with keeping BFR's if the shield was removed That's the entire point of it. No shield = weaker than a lightning. and the armor was buffed. And get rid of a unique concept? AND the Flight variant was removed. I'm sorry, I'm busy jumping over your head and raining death down upon you. Sorry you're butthurt and can't counter it. Remove the AA/AI weapons while you're at it. So basically just a reskin of the ES Tank? No thank you.
Honestly. Stop breaking something further.

We're obviously never going to agree on these things. Split it into two servers, Those who want everything in CC and BFR, and those who don't.

Last edited by SArais; 2014-05-30 at 06:27 AM.
Old 2014-05-30, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Figment
Lieutenant General

SArais, the BFRs never really worked BECAUSE they did something different from the other vehicles to the point it was hamfested in. That isn't an Unique Selling Point when their uniqueness breaks gameplay for other things.

If you change the rules for BFR to be more like the other vehicles, just with different stats, then they'd always been fine.

You're actually using "Sorry, but I want my I-win-button" as an argument. If that's the extend of your argument, you have no place in any discussion about balancing, because you're not interested in balance, just in pwning people.

In a MMO, you don't add I-Win buttons to pwn people. This isn't a single player game where you as an individual have to be glorified. Your personal interests aren't more important than the interests of other players. As long as you can't see that, you're not someone who can be reasoned with, or should be argued with. If your entire argument is about self-interest at the expense of others, you're just going to be ignored by people with an interest in the gameplay of everyone.

So suit yourself. Either you compromise and discuss constructively, or you'd get yourself ostracized automatically.
Old 2014-05-30, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by SArais View Post
Honestly. Stop breaking something further.

We're obviously never going to agree on these things. Split it into two servers, Those who want everything in CC and BFR, and those who don't.
1. Go back and actually read what I posted. Because it wasn't that.
2. False.
3. No, "Morale" doesn't make fucking sense, it's not a valid reason for BFR's being a good idea.
4. So I'm glad that we established that your 4th point isn't really a reason at all
5. No, no it isn't.
6. Thank you for pointing exactly what the problem is. Being a jack of all trades is not a good thing for the game. That's why BR40 was such a terrible concept.
7. By the time you've broken the shield generator, the BFR's teammates should have killed you. See I can use the team argument too.
8. No, that's not even close to the same thing. Good try though.

BFR's don't have a place in Planetside. If you want to go play mechs, they have multiple mech based games out right now.

When you try to do player balance. Fun in using something is a must, but not just that, it needs to be fun to play against. BFR's are anything but fun to play against, they're the 3rd most annoying thing in Planetside in it's current state. Their needs to be decent counterplay. The methods of killing a BFR efficiently ultimately only exist under 2 conditions. Retarded BFR pilots and solo BFR pilots. Solo BFR pilots fit under the 1st category. So dumbass BFR's who forget that being in a group essentially makes them only kill able by greatly superior numbers or a really well placed
OS.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex

Last edited by Effective; 2014-05-30 at 09:00 AM.
Old 2014-05-30, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
SgtMAD
Captain

as you can see by the posts here that trying to "modify" PS for everyone is never going to work.

this BFR shit is pure crap, its one of the additions to PS that did the most to kill the game off and we still have ppl making the same stupid arguments that were made back when BFR's were just a twinkle in some dev's eyes.

if you want Mech warrior then go play it and leave PS alone PLZ
Old 2014-05-30, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hehateme
Private

Originally Posted by Hehateme View Post
Trust me this is a bad idea. Besides the fact that it is pointless, it will divide the community. Look at Quake/CS in their respected primes. Quake 3 had CPMa(best)/vq3/osp/ra3/Freezetag/insta/.... list goes on. CounterStrike had 1.everything till 1.6 was established competitive mode. All these community splits were based off of minor changes.
Originally Posted by SArais View Post
Oh God, it's happening! This kind of attitude split the quake/CS communities, two games with a much, much bigger playerbase. IF Planetside were to ever released as an Open source, we need 1 server. Anymore would cause everything to fail.
Old 2014-05-30, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
angelphantasma
Private

applicable:

Old 2014-05-30, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

As i wrote earlier in this thread, i don't think it's a good idea to fiddle with the mechanics too much. Especially since nobody seems to agree on what would be the best "fiddling".

Fixing the bugs (maybe old br cap and pre-bending world ontop of it and a poll on BFRs) are all very basic things that most people seem to agree on. Anything further will just end up fracturing the small playerbase we got. Two servers would mean two empty servers.

Also once again, i don't see PS1 going open source happening. I would love that, sure, but making it completely free was allready beyond my expectations from a major studio like SOE.
Old 2014-05-30, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by angelphantasma View Post
applicable:
Not really. The analogy is bad and you should feel bad.

Old 2014-05-30, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Hehateme
Private

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Not really. The analogy is bad and you should feel bad.
Actually, I found Angel's analogy perfect. This is why I fear the next Unreal Tournament will have trouble.

For those who don't know the next Unreal Tournament will be community made, if it interests you read here

http://www.esreality.com/post/259204...ent-announced/
Old 2014-05-30, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
GodlessHeretic
Private

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Some other things for caves and battle islands:

Battle Islands:
Change BI rules to the standard rules.
I'm sorry, but no. I actually like the fact that you can't use HA weapons on the Battle Islands. Keeps the playing field even. There are some balancing issues to be sure, but your suggestion would basically force everyone to cert HA through meta-game. Not cool.

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Though preferably:
- Remove all aircraft from caves. Caves without Mossie farming would be fun. With Mossie farming it's just an annoying campfest all the time.
I'm a little annoyed that you said this while saying what i quoted above it. I do agree with you, though. Aircraft (Reavers especially) tend to make it impossible to actually explore/fight in the caves.
Old 2014-05-30, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by GodlessHeretic View Post
I'm sorry, but no. I actually like the fact that you can't use HA weapons on the Battle Islands. Keeps the playing field even. There are some balancing issues to be sure, but your suggestion would basically force everyone to cert HA through meta-game. Not cool.
I understand your concerns and while I prefered it myself (my K/D shot up since I only use Sweeper anyway), It was a problematic set of arbitrary rules that made a lot of players unwilling to go there, especially a set of these islands in a row (next to enemies not turning up for defense of the next island due to spawn rule reasons throwing people back to sanctuary).

Thing is, the BI's were poorly designed and implemented. You'll notice that in the post above, the BI's become vital links in the defense of a Sanctuary as a third home continent and a central continent next to Searhus.

For these reasons, you would require continuity, which in cave fights you do not.
Old 2014-05-30, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

1: get the caves working again. No aircraft in caves (because, you know, they're CAVES! Or at least make aircraft use the geowarp to get into one).

2: Balance BFR's (And obviously, get CC working and free). Don't nerf shield but give it a weaker one maybe? Obviously other stuff to balance them more.

3: Anything to stop the damn hackers ruining the fun. It's getting out of hand. I can't leave a spawn room without dying these days.

4: People tend to just waltz to a base from towers and forget to get vehicles from a base. So something to encourage people to do that more would be nice.

Haven't been around long enough to come up with lattice ideas.

And that's it. I want Planetside and I want caves and I want it hacker free and good fights with vehicles/armies. With people using cover and moving as teams (which they do. That alone makes me like it more then PS2). No need to mess around with every little thing to get the game shining.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2014-05-30 at 05:18 PM.
Old 2014-05-30, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hehateme View Post
Actually, I found Angel's analogy perfect. [/url]
It's not.

Step 1. Is the content fun to play with?
Step 2. Is the content fun to play against?
Step 3. If not yes to 1 or 2, then don't add it.

Welcome to basically everything I was talking about.

Last edited by Effective; 2014-05-30 at 07:55 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion