Question on FOV - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stand back sir, I'm from the internet!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Want a menu option to select FOV?
Yes 51 62.20%
No 31 37.80%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-01-08, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
�io
Lieutenant General

Old 2003-02-06, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
NoYes
Private

bump

Any word on this?
Old 2003-02-06, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

omg... what the flying fuck are you all smoking???

Real life FoV is more like fucking 200+. Dont ANY of you have peripheral vision?!?!? Well, unlike most of you tunnet-vision cyborgs, Im human and I can see about 1.5-2 inches away my eyes. And that my friend is WAY above 180...
Old 2003-02-06, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

Originally posted by Serbitar
But if having a FOV of 90 doenst suit you, then "something" must be better for you on 110 (you just see 25% more . . )
<sarcasm>
Well, Im gunna run planetside on 320*200 resolution with 16 colors. I expect Sony to make sure that EVERYONE gets stuck on this resolution. I dont want their PSs to look better than mine, because that would give them an advantage of seeing things more clearly.
</sarcasm>

You ever thought that some people cant stand 90� because it FEELS too zoomed in?
Old 2003-02-06, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Lillemanden
Staff Sergeant

ok, I just mesured my RL FOV and its 210��10�. And on top of that you naturally moves your eyes if you can see movement in the corner of your eyes which gives you about 15� ekstra (that of cause cuts 15� off of the other side for a moment). Things you can see "in the corner of you eyes" (is it called that on english?) is not as sharp though, you mostly see movement...
Anyway higher Fov makes it harder to hit, so the lowfovplayers have an advantage there, which I believe equels out the wider view.
And they could always limit the FOV (fovs like 15 would be more cheating than 300 IMHO) too something like 70-180. But i don't think that many people can even pleay with FOVs above 130.
Old 2003-02-06, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Strife
Private

Doesnt a definable FOV defeat the point of Advanced Targetting?

I dont like the idea people can zoom with a "console command" or whatever... FOV needs to be even to create an even playing field across the server.
Old 2003-02-06, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

I agree with Validuz, peripheral vison is aroud 220. However, anything 170+ is blurred. Also, almost everyone's armor has visors/goggles/helmet/domes that would reduce it significantly.
Old 2003-02-06, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Lillemanden
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Strife
Doesnt a definable FOV defeat the point of Advanced Targetting?

I dont like the idea people can zoom with a "console command" or whatever... FOV needs to be even to create an even playing field across the server.
Advanced Targetting shows the name and health of enemies, you are proberly thinking about the Range Magnifier. But that could easily be fixed by limiting the FOV to a minimum of 70 of something like that.
Old 2003-02-06, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Zoolooman
Corporal

90 to 130 is plenty.

The reason I say 90 instead of 70 is because of zooming issues and the implants for zooming.

The reason I say 130 instead of 120 is because there are a FEW psychos who feel right at 130.

Anyone claiming otherwise about what the view of degrees does to your skill level is whining at best.

:]
Old 2003-02-06, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Derv
Staff Sergeant

I think that one should not be able to change their field of view, and if they don't feel comfortable then live with it for a few days and get used to whatever they set. Humans have the ability to adapt, which is what has let us survive for so long, so if you feel that you can't then I say you should get a Darwin award and die!

Lol that was a joke, but seriously, I don't think it would be fair if one person had a bunch of scripts that changed their field of view all the time for advantages in certain situation, while another person stuck with one FoV.

Also that zooming effect seems kinda cheap and takes away from the "life-likeness" of the game. The stuff about the helmet and stuff that some1 earlier mentioned is a valid point, so I think that PS should decide on ONE FoV and have it that way for everyone, no changes.
Old 2003-03-19, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
NoYes
Private

I don't see a reason to worry about scripting FOV changes, they can make it like a resolution change that you can only make outside of game and then has a limited range of values. I would be fine with a fixed FOV value, but what that appears too be based on the screenshots, I would describe as painfully low.

Is there any word on what the FOV is in the game and any chance of allowing players to pick their own fov from a specified range?
Old 2003-04-17, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
NoYes
Private

The FOV is too low as it is, now I know this for sure from seeing more than just screenshots like I had before.

Please give us an option to raise our fov!! Give us a slider bar under graphics options within some range. As it is I do not see myself playing planetside, it simply is very annoying to me having my vision limited that much.

please, please let us raise the fov a little if we like.

Last edited by NoYes; 2003-04-17 at 09:07 PM.
Old 2011-05-31, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Re: Question on FOV

yeah the fish eye thing is terrible. But its nice to be able to change it for those using multiple monitors. I have two friends who have asked me if they could change the FoV in game to better fit their 3 screen set ups. Its great for that. But needs very strict limits otherwise. Maybe even tied to screen rez in some way if thats even possible/realistic.
Old 2011-06-01, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
joemonkey
Private

you realize this thread is 8 years old right? lol
Old 2011-06-01, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
OneirosFortyTwo
Private

Wow... I think this has set a record for thread necromancy.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion