Paratrooping from the galaxy - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Attack the Smurf Hideout!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-19, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
�io
Lieutenant General

Well it's not that new.

And also just like to point out i doubt a galaxy will be flying at 50000ft up.

But i still agree there should be a good amount of damage done to a fallling tank or buggy.
Old 2002-12-19, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

I don't. In fact I don't think any damage should be taken at all. Not even from being shot. That is all now quit bickering!
Old 2002-12-19, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Hatte
Corporal

YES, and the only way to kill eachother is with small nuclear trout that u must slap your opponents with! When slapped you will incinerate instantly while the slapper will remain unharmed. Then the l33t players will learn how to drive by slap, on a skeeter. and will just speed around slapping everyone.

.... for that i have to give my self a
Old 2002-12-19, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by Hatte
YES, and the only way to kill eachother is with small nuclear trout that u must slap your opponents with! When slapped you will incinerate instantly while the slapper will remain unharmed. Then the l33t players will learn how to drive by slap, on a skeeter. and will just speed around slapping everyone.

.... for that i have to give my self a
Oh i get it so no or just some

Old 2002-12-19, 03:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hatte
Corporal

exactly some good old fashioned trout slapping, but you know what will happen one day, some guy will come in with a bigger nuclear trout, and everyone else will want bigger nuclear trouts too. Eventually the nuclear trouts get so big u can hold them anymore, and they need to be shot out of a cannon, so everyone will just go back to guns because nuclear trouts are a stupid idea.
Old 2002-12-19, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
DiosT

i hope they dont allow tanks to be droped out of galaxies... unless there are a lot of easy ways to take out dropping troops.. otherwise people could just drop 40 tanks right into the middle of an enemy base... skiping by all walls...

I have no problem with squads of units droping down... or buggies, but heavy armored vehicles shouldnt =) I'm siding with what the dev's have stated so far, were only units & buggies, this keeps base battles on a 'more fun' scale for both attackers and defenders, defenders can hide behidn the walls and attackers must breach it... if everyone can bypass physical boundaries with ease then theres not going to be much 'fun' in playing the defensive side of the game (note--I hate to defend bases, so by saying this I'm limiting my own ability to drop into enemy bases in a HALO jump =p it's 'cool' but not practicle when we are trying to make attacking enemy bases & defending your base fun)

Old 2002-12-19, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hatte
Corporal

I have to agree with you for the most part , DiosT, but if you think about it, to drop 40 tanks you need 40 galaxy, or 20 if they did two trips, thats is alot of experienced people, i think they'd deserve to take the base. =P

On with paratrooping, i think that after your KD's work you should be stunned for a few seconds, and take some damage.
If you think about it, you fall from any distance you will be stunned alittle bit, and it would help prevent drops right into bases, and if KD's are built into your leg armor, your upper body would still take alot of impact.(I'm assuming that KD's absorbe the force of ur landing, and do not slow your decent)

A similar effect should occur to vehicles. where they take damage and are useless for a short period.

This would prevent base drops for sure, and remove the desire ppl have to paratroop altogether.
Old 2002-12-19, 06:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
DiosT

i like the idea of base dropping, i jsut dont think an entire platon of units should be able to drop past any outside base defenses set up.. maybe have some base-controlled missile turrets w/large Z-axis limits(no halo jumps ove a base)...

and there are outfits with over 90 members that are gearing up for planetside, if 2-5 outfits team up, they could pull it off, and if it's a successful technique, continue to do so, the only defense possible would be an equal number of anti-air people(how would anti-vehicle weapons work vs. a flying/dropping tank?)...

I just think it'd elimiate too many of the challanges of taking out a base...

and with a bunch and bunch of recruited pilots, you could pull it off, if it's allowed, I can assure you it will be tried =p

Old 2002-12-19, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hatte
Corporal

Most definatly it will be tried, and I for one want to be one of the first to pull it off. heh.

I still think that it would make more sence to have a period of a sort of stun, it would allow defenders to react and make a dropped tank chopped liver pretty fast.
Old 2002-12-19, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
DiosT

stun time would be nice =p the heavier the vehicle the most stun the duration... light units get a ~1 second stun(like in battlefield 1942 when they hit the ground), MAX's would get a 4-5 sec stun, and mediums in the middle..

For tanks....(assuming devs allow them to be droped)
"kenetic dampers drain to much power to allow tank operation after a drop" and thus have a 8-second 'power down.. this requires units drop down with tanks in order to protect the tanks, for the tanks to protect them when they are operational.. would allow the tactic, but MANY more people to be effective(I'm still opposed to the whole dropign people right into the middle of bases idea)

Old 2002-12-19, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Hatte
Corporal

I was thinking something like double those times would be effective, but thats just a small balance issue if they do implement it.
Old 2002-12-19, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
DiosT

in a FPS, a 5 second stun is a long time =) but may be neccessary if MAX's are like tanks heh

Old 2002-12-19, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Hatte
Corporal

I'm assuming that the area between the walls of a base and the inner buildings is large, it would take some time for a max to run around the side of the base.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/i...s/20084_tn.jpg
^ is an example, if the tank/max dropped around the side away from the main gropu of defenders it would take more than 5 seconds for the heavies to reach it to do any significant damage.
Old 2002-12-19, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
DiosT

well.. cant make stun times insane just cause it would take them that long to run there in the first place... point of discussing this is to see what kinda of penalty should be added, that isnt impossible, but leaves some practicality to it... and a max can do damage running up to a defended wall...

by having somewhat short, but still deadly stun times, it keeps a tank from getting shots off the split second it lands, and is blown back into the area in pieces half a second later, simply because the 30 people sitting there waiting for it to drop couldnt do enough damage while it was still in flight

Old 2002-12-19, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hamma
PSU Admin

It will be interesting to see how this whole paratrooping thing works out hehe

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion