Paratrooping from the galaxy - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where u can commit suicide daily.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-19, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
diluted
Major

what ya gotta understand is that in the prolonged future, there will be thousands of people out there of course there's going to be a need of tons of galaxies and i dunno - it just seems that all this is very very possible. not like "takes too much skill and knowledge". soon enough the majority of people will be well.. seasoned vets.
Old 2002-12-19, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
snipe
Corporal

i think that it would be better that if vehicals are dropped from a certain hight, that they flip over in the air and blow up when they hit the ground. this would only happen from high up
Old 2002-12-19, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
DiosT

yeah i kinda got off on the "if tanks could drop" path... I sont think even light tanks should really drop... but *shrug* i guess...

I guess as long as infantry cant really shoot down at us it would be ok... (or increase the cone of fire immensly)...

as for getting 20-40 galaxie pilots... I think a 'starting' character can get the certs to pilot a galaxie... or a tank.. so even if you dont have a lot of pilots you can 'make' one on one of your 4 free slots and take a tank over

Old 2002-12-19, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
�io
Lieutenant General

The way i see it the kinetic dampeners should halt a % of your mass so depending on your mass it will work more or less.

Code:
Troops      - halts 70-90% Damage(10-30% taken)
MAXs        - halts 50-60% Damage(40-50% taken)
buggies     - halts 60-70% Damage(30-40% taken)
light tanks - halts 40-50% Damage(50-60% taken)
Something like that.
Old 2002-12-19, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

Hmmm... I don't think so... the vehicles taking that much damage is almost like the kinetic dampeners aren't even there. In the future they fixed falling damage... let's go with it.
Old 2002-12-19, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
�io
Lieutenant General

Ok so why use tanks themselves to get to the target? Just hop into a galaxy, heck why land at all? Just drop those suckers all over the place, yeah that will be fun! An aerial battle game!

My point is if there's no falling damage than it won't be the same game. I mean who would rather roll over mountains to get to the target when then can let a galaxy do the work, and why waste time actually landing your ship, just dump those things and go get more. As i said no falling damage would just mean half do the paratrooping thing and the other half get stuck doing AA work.
Old 2002-12-19, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...=&threadid=905

Whether we have all the damage voided or not is irrelevent. I know how they work.
Old 2002-12-19, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

People will roll over a mountain to get somewhere in a tank because of just that. The chance to roll over a mountain in a tank. Unless you're a MAX you're not going to have anything close to the firepower of a tank. If the tank is really needed they will use it. Don't get to jumpy about it Dio it will be fine.
Old 2002-12-20, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

1.) I seriously doubt that the devs would allow galaxies to be too easy to aquire. If they did, then these strategies would be too prevalent and would disrupt attempts to balance defender/attacker gameplay. I know that it would be fun to drop en masse into an opponents base, but just a few ships would be effective and fair.
2.) Galaxies are going to be THE primary taget, because killing them kills their passengers (probly). If they do, I know that I would like to come up with an interception squad to destroy Galaxies en route to their destinations. Also, the base defenders would have a field day shooting paratrooping units out of the sky.
3.) Surely other vehicles will be in far more supply than Galaxies, so not everyone is going to have an easy to find ride. And even if they did, it might be better to try a more low-profile approach whne trying to surprise you opponents.
4.) Next, Galaxies only spawn at Dropship Centers and Sancuaries so finding a Galaxy to transport your tank, even if the ride exists, it will be difficult, and from the map of Cyssor that I've seen, it seems that there is is only one dropship center for each continent.
5.) If you did send fourty Galaxies into a base (ignoring the insane amount of teamwork, personnel, resources, and and took it over I severly doubt that it would work twice. The scouts would report it coming, squads would grief their MAX team members to get AA MAXs fast and vehicles would be spawned to counter-attack the incoming dropships. Then while you have your huge grin on your face for *brilliantly* outsmarting your opponents your air force drops out of the sky like ducks being shot with assault rifles. This would definitely happen because ANYONE can spot 40 Galaxies.
6.) I admit, that it is quite possible to amass this type of assault, but it would require the entire empire to do without dropships for at least a week, and it would only be worth it in the middle of the night, say 4 am. I could see this happening, actually, and I would be amazed if it did. Also, I would also be very fearful or respectful of that commander and would have to expect raids such as it from any group (if it came through), but personally, if I am commanding a squad assigned to defend a base I will have good air defenses in place so that I can at least try to fight back an onslaught such as this.

On another note, I believe that the kinetic dampeners should prevent all damage, however, should a person or vehicle take enough damage in the air they should take more damage when then hit the ground, as if the kinetic dampeners were damaged or destroyed in the fall. That way the tactic of dropping on top of a base is more risky because you might die and you might not. I would be very cautious to remove AA defenses on a base before attempting to overrun it with paratroopers if they would like to not waste their resources.

However, after all of this "point-making" I get sick of hearing arguments like a few of the ones that I have read in this thread and in others. This is one thing that I can't stand about people trying to argue on forums. Their only point is a worst-case scenario and they don't bother to rationalize how often that possibility can happen. If our decision makers *only* listened to WOS then we would be like the Terran Republic where there is little possibility for us to endanger ourselves or others.

I might be asking to be flamed for this, however, I would like to be able to read through the forums and only read what is contributing to the discussion.
Old 2002-12-20, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

durits, all you need to do to get 40 galaxies is to get 40 pilots that has the cert and make them spawn them... Vehicle availability is individual for every char... getting 40 galaxies would mean about 600 people if they're all fully loaded tho thats the hard part

and the galaxies might be prime targets but 40 galaxies means 120 20mm guns firering to protect themselfs hehe
Old 2002-12-20, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

that also means 80 gunners Which will be hard to find.

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
Old 2002-12-20, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

those 80 are included in the 600 hehe
Old 2002-12-20, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by Duritz
1.) I seriously doubt that the devs would allow galaxies to be too easy to aquire.

On another note, I believe that the kinetic dampeners should prevent all damage, however, should a person or vehicle take enough damage in the air they should take more damage when then hit the ground, as if the kinetic dampeners were damaged or destroyed in the fall. That way the tactic of dropping on top of a base is more risky because you might die and you might not. I would be very cautious to remove AA defenses on a base before attempting to overrun it with paratroopers if they would like to not waste their resources.
Ok well first off as said a galaxy is (just like anything else) easily available as logn as you have the cert for it.

Second your idea on the KDs is a very good one, i like it very much. It prevents abuse of paratrooping but also still saves people who get caught in pilotless ship. Very nice.
Old 2002-12-21, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Lightning
Private

Hey everyone, I have been following this site for awhile and really think this game is going to be terrific.

Everyone is talking about how people will just jump out and never land at all, well one way to possibly solve this is to have it so vehicles can only land or drive out t.he back under a cerain height. This will make it much more interesting for vehicle deployment because the Galaxies will have to fly much closer to the ground to deploy vehicles. This will also make vehicle "kenetic (sp?) dampers" non important.

Sorry i have no suggestions for refular troops.

See ya all later, bye
Old 2002-12-21, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Doobz
Lieutenant Colonel

dude, that would be awsome, like old b-17 raids, where they flew in formation for gunner protection, wouldnt that be awsome if you could pull together about 20 galaxies and do that?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion