The Neuro Report - E3 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's my pantleg, you idiots. -Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: The Neuro Report - E3

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Cloaking seems to last ~10 - 15 seconds from what we've seen today.
But this is dependant on the loadout, right?

I believe in the earlier (not E3) TB video Higby explained that with a sniper you actually run out of the cloaking time (like the 5-10s we saw in E3 footage), while without a sniper you can probably cloak as long as you want.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-06, 05:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
hypehype
Private

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
That's why I mentioned it. I believe BF3-like 3D spotting was shown off earlier and many people including myself aren't that happy about it.
is there really 3d spotting? can anyone confirm this?
and what will be the view distance and duration of 3d spotting?

please dont do this, 3d spotting is cheap.

i may have to play infiltrator only now.
Old 2012-06-06, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
I'm really interested in knowing if "Switch Fire Grip" means switch from left-handed to right-handed, or just switch from regular rifle grip to the auxilary underslung launcher or something!

Being able to switch from left to right-handed depending on what type of cover you are aiming around would be a really cool feature.
It says "Switch Fire GROUP", not "Grip".

Sounds like a firemode selector, but I find that kinda redundant.
Old 2012-06-06, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by hypehype View Post
is there really 3d spotting? can anyone confirm this?
and what will be the view distance and duration of 3d spotting?

please dont do this, 3d spotting is cheap.

i may have to play infiltrator only now.
In older videos you saw enemies with markers above there head but I haven't seen it since then.
Old 2012-06-06, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
In older videos you saw enemies with markers above there head but I haven't seen it since then.
They confirmed back during the GDC videos that the spotting system there was severely bugged at the time and that it would be toned down a lot. We didnt really get much info on how it's supposed to be, but it was flashed that fe. it could be infils only or that the 3d spotting would only show to people right near you (sorta like you telling your buddies next to you "sniper behind that rock!")

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-06, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
hypehype
Private

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
They confirmed back during the GDC videos that the spotting system there was severely bugged at the time and that it would be toned down a lot. We didnt really get much info on how it's supposed to be, but it was flashed that fe. it could be infils only or that the 3d spotting would only show to people right near you (sorta like you telling your buddies next to you "sniper behind that rock!")
It should just be removed,

All it does is make the user spam the Q botton before entering any area or when scanning the horizon. What will be the point of night maps if you can 3d scan spot? it removes any skill needed to play.

I know this idea came from BF3, but this is one of the worst things i have seen in FPS.
This video is a good example of what it is like playing BF3 with 3d spotting.

Last edited by hypehype; 2012-06-06 at 08:32 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
LegioX
First Sergeant

3d spotting is the worst feature they could possibly put in this game. If they do, we need to fight HARD to get it removed. BF 3 is the prime example on how much this feature sucks.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by hypehype View Post
It should just be removed,

All it does is make the user spam the Q botton before entering any area or when scanning the horizon. What will be the point of night maps if you can 3d scan spot? it removes any skill needed to play.

I know this idea came from BF3, but this is one of the worse things i have seen in FPS.
This video is a good example of what it is like playing BF3 with 3d spotting.
Battlefield 3 - Official 3D Spotting Trailer - YouTube
But... I want to shout out:"There's a douchebag hiding in the bushes with a radioactive twinky!" Everytime I press Q.
Anyways, If it's spotting like: There's his last known postion. 5 seconds till it goes away. Fine.
If it is: I caught a glimpse and now I can see him all the fricking time. Please no.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

I agree. The more I played with it the more I hated it. Fortunately in BF3's harcore mode it's removed... that is quite playable
Old 2012-06-06, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Hey Neuro, do you have the same brand of camera than Higby and T-Ray or did you just take those while running ?

Just teasing, it's great to have people on the field. Looking forward to reading more feedback from you !
Old 2012-06-06, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
chunkeymonkey
Private

Absolutely not liking spotting...it kind of does away with all the teamwork in the game, if you think about it.

For example, take an outfit. They are on active voice chat and are communicating efficiently, thus being able to call out targets to one another. Spotting the targets eliminates the communication, which in turn, could tip the balance of a battle. Spotting simply assumes to another outfit member, instead of actively communicating.

The spotting feature in BF3 sucks, don't tone down the Planetside 2 teamplay with this lone wolf-friendly spotting system.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
hypehype
Private

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
But... I want to shout out:"There's a douchebag hiding in the bushes with a radioactive twinky!" Everytime I press Q.
Anyways, If it's spotting like: There's his last known postion. 5 seconds till it goes away. Fine.
If it is: I caught a glimpse and now I can see him all the fricking time. Please no.
That would be a better idea, if there was a delay. But i rather it was not in the game at all.

If people want to tell their friends they have found a camping sniper, then they should use voice chat, even that will still require skill from the player to find the enemy.

3d spotting just removes all forms of skill.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

But he has a radioactive twinky! Not even voice chat can handle that!

*Done with the twinky joke*

I agree that the 3D spotting in battlefield would be a bad thing to add in Planetside considering the night ops and the fact that spotting one guy can lead to the reveal of 7 others due to the scale. However, whats to say that every empire would have a voice chat to themselves(CoD X375? ). "Well, there's outfits" I'm not sure about this point because I hadn't played PS1(Damnit).

EDIT: Neuro if I may, how is the feel of the guns? Does it have a punch to them, do they have ungodly hard spread and retarded recoil? ( Skip to 0:27)

Last edited by ThermalReaper; 2012-06-06 at 08:56 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
ParisTeta
Sergeant

BF3 and PS2 are different enviroments, sure that this would be so drastic like in the BF3 Video (no expierence with BF3 so i just have that video above)?

Though there would be alot of possible ways to adjust such things.

a) active spotting, only line of sight, which fades after a few seconds.
example: You Spot someone, he runs behind a rock, he will be sighted for 5-10 seconds and then vanish/no update on his position.

b) Active Counter: Smokescreen, hinder update and make the old data unprecise.

c) Other brake effects, bad weather? Clouds for air units, cloak, concussion effects on the spotter.

d) Increase the "cost" of spotting, spotter need to spot ist binocular, no weapon (except Infiltrator) or with a special scope which has some drawback (less zoom for example).

What would be your ideas?

Because adding a feature is mostly better then not add it, and spotting could be quite useful for aircrafts, so they can plan their approach, though the implantation of it in BF3 seems bad (hiding in the bush with no sight just shoot at UI elements, works for some games, but no active FPS).
Old 2012-06-06, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

Yeah, I gotta agree that spotting needs to be removed or massively toned down.
If it was just on the mini map I think that'd be almost acceptable.

In BF3 what you basically end up doing is shooting at little orange triangles all the time.
So someone can be well hidden in cover, but it is easy to take them out because all you're doing is shooting at the little icon on your HUD.

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion