[Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Best site ever
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-11-23, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Coreldan
Colonel

[Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR

I've mentioned this a few times in other threads, but thought it could use it's own.

So, if anyone isn't familiar with TrackIR, this video explains it pretty well:
I think it would be really damn awesome if Forgelight could be made to support this. It would work like wonders in a game like PS2 (really amazing in ARMA2, for example) and does a great deal for situational awareness.

Since Forgelight is likely to be in just about every game they will be making from here on, making it generally speaking compatible with Forgelight would probably make it quite easy to make compatible with each game they have coming in the future with little effort.

It's quite a niche thing, though, and I feel that they won't use the resources on something like this, but it sure would be really awesome.

Naturally any kind of dev reply would be cool, but that's just hoping

EDIT: Good to note that it's not really TrackIR that needs to be implemented, but free look which benefits everyone. After free look is in, TrackIR is easypeasy to integrate to the game.

Originally Posted by Justaman View Post
I think you should edit the OP so that it doesn't imply that "TrackIR" is what needs to be implemented. It should say we want a "free look" button, or an extra set of hot-keys that only effect our visual orientation. In the best case, it would be a free-look button that toggles the visual orientation hot-keys from what they are, to your mouse. So that single button Free-look would seamlessly work with either mouse+keyboard standard setups as well as mouse/keyboard+joystick/other peripheral. As the peripherals them selves would handle the use of those inputs.

Which in comparison is next to nothing for development time.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-12-14 at 06:51 AM.
Old 2011-11-23, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR

This has popped up before, we never got an official answer.

I even went so far as to rig together a Freetrack set
That I have never used since

So fingers crossed that PS2 will support it
Old 2011-11-23, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

Waste of development time.
Old 2011-11-23, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Coreldan
Colonel

Aaaand, it would greatly benefit both grunt gameplay as well as flying. For tanks I can't really figure out much of a good use for it, but for infantry and flying it makes a big frigging difference.

Pretty please?

Old 2011-11-23, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Aaaand, it would greatly benefit both grunt gameplay as well as flying. For tanks I can't really figure out much of a good use for it, but for infantry and flying it makes a big frigging difference.

Pretty please?
It would be useful for the Magrider at least, which won't have a turret for the driver.
Or when you want to look around while still keeping your turret on the precious BEP farm base door
Old 2012-03-20, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Pretty please?
The problem is, if it's a big difference, as you claim, you're creating a hardware barrier to entry on the game.

Just like supporting super-wide FOV settings for people with a dozen monitors...

I don't want Planetside to be a game where I feel like I lost because I didn't spend enough money to have as much situational awareness as the next guy.
Old 2012-03-20, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
The problem is, if it's a big difference, as you claim, you're creating a hardware barrier to entry on the game.

Just like supporting super-wide FOV settings for people with a dozen monitors...

I don't want Planetside to be a game where I feel like I lost because I didn't spend enough money to have as much situational awareness as the next guy.
No you'll lose cause someone bought a gun that fires faster than yours. What then?

Trust me, track ir does not elevate players to a godly state. Or should I say not any more than mouse look. Its just a different way to look around.

From what I have seen they are ignoring this in hopes it will go away. have you seen the footage. there is no cockpit to look around it. This, is an arcade game that the devs havent so far as peaked out there to see what could make it better than any other arcade game out there. (in terms of actual gameplay, not persistant world).

So while I still hope they will see the light. Im pretty sure they wont look up away from their keyboard to see the next big thing.
Old 2011-11-23, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Looks great. On the Mechwarrior Online forums, they were also talking about this and one of the Devs implied that they were looking into it. Take note SOE Devs, since MWO is a competitor for PS2, perhaps you guys should look into it so as not to lose your customers(No worries about me, I'll be playing both )
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-08-16, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Looks great. On the Mechwarrior Online forums, they were also talking about this and one of the Devs implied that they were looking into it. Take note SOE Devs, since MWO is a competitor for PS2, perhaps you guys should look into it so as not to lose your customers(No worries about me, I'll be playing both )
How is MWO a competitor for PS2? They really share NOTHING I common, except for being free to play, it's more of a competitor for WOT.
Old 2011-11-23, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

That would be awesome to use in PS2. I hope they do work on that at some point, probably not by release, but at some point would be great because I would get that.
Old 2011-11-23, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Coreldan
Colonel

Yeah, I'm just afraid that after release there will still be more to work on that they have the time for and it just gets pushed and pushed and never implemented.

Wonder how much of a job it is to implemented it in the first place. Also I'd figure it would be easier to implement it now while the engine isn't all that finalized than trying to tack it on afterwards. I suppose with an Unreal Engine game that could be as easy to implement as checking a tickbox but with a brand new engine that is not likely the case.

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-11-23 at 02:14 PM.
Old 2011-11-23, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Wonder how much of a job it is to implemented it in the first place. Also I'd figure it would be easier to implement it now while the engine isn't all that finalized than trying to tack it on afterwards. I suppose with an Unreal Engine game that could be as easy to implement as checking a tickbox but with a brand new engine that is not likely the case.
Since SOE is developing Forgelight as a proprietary, in-house game engine, I imagine that they will probably continue to upgrade the engine as a whole, much like Valve upgrades the Source engine.

Of course, SOE is not Valve, but maybe they'll start heading in that direction with Forgelight.
Old 2012-08-16, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Yeah, I'm just afraid that after release there will still be more to work on that they have the time for and it just gets pushed and pushed and never implemented.

I kind of feel like ths wouldn't work with the rigid bodies and gumpy animations this game has.

Don't get me wrong, not knocking the game at all, just looks like the head and upper torso would have to be more articulated than they currently look for this to work in PS2.
Old 2011-11-23, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dreamcast
Major

Cool but only like .1 % will use it...How about the other 99.9%

Occupy planetside?
Old 2011-11-23, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Cool but only like .1 % will use it...How about the other 99.9%

Occupy planetside?
Actually, if the feature to turn your head around was in anyone could benefit from it, even without IR head tracking

You would just have to bind some keys or your joystick's hat switch to it

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2011-11-23 at 03:35 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion