PlanetSide 2 going retail - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Awaiting Approval
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-07-26, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
camycamera
Major

PlanetSide 2 going retail

http://www.dealspwn.com/planetside-2...spwn+(Dealspwn)

Bear with me, because I'm not entirely sure how to explain this. Here goes: Planetside 2, the superb free-to-play MMOFPS that's currently one of the most intense shooters out there, will soon be available to buy in shops. Even though it's freely downloadable, for nothing, and you'll need to have a decent internet connection to play it.

At least you'll get a few bonuses, one of which might actually make it worth buying for existing players.

£7.99 (12.29 US Dollars) will net you the client and its latest updates, along with the following extras:
  • 24 Carat Power Pack: Exclusive to the retail version: Golden SMGs for each of the three empires; Vanu Sovereignty Eridani SX5-G: The Eridani SX5 fully automatic submachine gun excels in close quarter combat situations; New Conglomerate AF-4 Cyclone-G: The AF-4 Cyclone is a fully automatic submachine gun that has a higher damage output than most weapons in its class; Terran Republic SMG-46 Armistice-G: The SMG-46 Armistice fully automatic submachine gun features a fast rate of fire and larger than average ammunition capacity.
  • A 7-day +50% XP boost: increases experience gain by 50% for 7 days on your character.
  • 1000 SevenCash / Station Cash (worth £7.99), redeemable through PlanetSide 2 accounts from ProSiebenSat.1 Games and Sony Online Entertainment.
  • Battle Buddy: This 3-day +50% XP boost code can be given to a buddy or squad mate to increase experience gain by 50% for 3 days on their character.
The bundled SevenCash might make this a reasonable purchase for Planetside 2 players, though many will probably hold out for sales or promotions. More to the point, you really don't have to spend anything.

I recently nominated Planetside 2 as one of the best F2P games out there, since it has provided my most memorable gaming moments of the year thus far. Well worth checking out if you like the idea of thousands of players duking it out with multiple classes, vehicles and aircraft.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/26/plan...pe-next-month/
Planetside 2 is getting a retail release in Europe courtesy of ProSiebenSat.1 Games and Koch Media.

........PlanetSide 2 can now be pre-ordered from Amazon, ShopTo and Zavvi for £7.99.

It will be released on August 16 alongside the truculently available downloadable version which will remain available free of charge.

Last edited by camycamera; 2013-07-26 at 11:34 PM.
Old 2013-07-26, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: PlanetSide 2 going retail

I like the buddy gift.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-07-27, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ringring
Contributor
General

Truculently??? I've known quite a few shop assistants like that.
Old 2013-07-27, 04:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Falcon_br
Captain

Well, I think I will buy it, but those items can be redeemed on existent accounts, right?
So, I just need to buy a cd-key online, get the SC, the golden smg and give the codes to nice outfit members.

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2013-07-27, 04:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
bjorntju1
Captain

Cool, will buy Looks like some cool extras.
Old 2013-07-27, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

I would say that a fair bargain.
Old 2013-07-27, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Oh dear. I hope this isn't an indication that PS2 might end up being a subscription game at a later date. I only say that because the first one was subscription based.

Regardless, they risk going down the road of what I like to call the "throw in random stuff" route that DLCs have done. Wherever a multiplayer game can get away with it has yet to be seen really. Throw in too little and it's not enough (a big no no with single player games) but throw in too much (a big yes in single player games) and it becomes pay to win/get the most.

I guess the only way to know for sure how this is going to work out is to actually do it in this case. Which they are doing. I don't think too many players will desert if it turns out to be a disaster. Can't help but wonder if the box will say you CAN play it for free without the extra stuff though. If it doesn't then how many will look at the box and pass the game by entirely because they're under the impression it's a game you have to buy?

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-07-27 at 08:23 AM.
Old 2013-07-27, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
Oh dear. I hope this isn't an indication that PS2 might end up being a subscription game at a later date. I only say that because the first one was subscription based.

that would be the most single stupidest move i have ever heard. being F2P myself, and seeing this game turn into a sub-based game would be the ultimate "fuck you for not buying giraffe camos". SOE, hell, even EA would never do that. can you imagine the shitstorm it would cause? it would effectively KILL the game.
Old 2013-07-27, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Why would they make PS2 subscription based because PS1 was? PS2 is designed around the F2P model.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-07-27, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Why would they make PS2 subscription based because PS1 was? PS2 is designed around the F2P model.
There have been multiplayer games that have been free to play and moved on to being subscription based. I'm not saying PS2 will or is even likely too, just that I hope releasing store content doesn't end up making it pay to win or pull a lord of the rings online (where a fair bit of the game is free 'till higher levels. Fortunately, PS2 has no level cap as such unless you care about battle rank so that rules that out).
Old 2013-07-27, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

If you think of it that they make almost to nothing out of this by the game giving you items that off set the cost, than maybe what SOE is looking for is the get more players. OUt of sight out of mind but if it's up on the shelf u cant ignore it.

Old 2013-07-27, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Falcon_br
Captain

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
There have been multiplayer games that have been free to play and moved on to being subscription based. I'm not saying PS2 will or is even likely too, just that I hope releasing store content doesn't end up making it pay to win or pull a lord of the rings online (where a fair bit of the game is free 'till higher levels. Fortunately, PS2 has no level cap as such unless you care about battle rank so that rules that out).
I think I played almost all mmo on the planet and never heard about something going from free to play to subscription, it is always the other way.

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2013-07-27, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Not sure how you would even think this means the game is going sub only

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-07-27, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Greenthy
Sergeant

So main questions that remain:

Will these be codes you can use on an existing account?
Can the codes from prosieben be used on an SOE account?
Old 2013-07-27, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Timealude
Captain

i kinda want one just so the dev team can sign the box.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion