New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is the DUST514 forum, right?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-20, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
It's a good thing that Planetside 2 isn't being entirely designed by the clearly jaded and often narrow-minded Planetside 1 community.
Someone doesn't believe the same as you and they're narrow-minded. Clever.
Old 2011-08-20, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #167
Graywolves
General

I love mechs, I've been a Mech fan since I was born.

And I was trying to think of how I would make a Mech MMO game like Planetside just before July. (Not like I have any resources, manpower, or knowhow in making it.) I loved my ideas though....

That said, I don't think Mechs should be in Planetside, they need to be in their own games where you actually have awesome mech action.
Old 2011-08-20, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #168
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Someone doesn't believe the same as you and they're narrow-minded. Clever.
Narrow-minded [nar-oh-mahyn-did]
adjective
1. having or showing a prejudiced mind, as persons or opinions; biased.
2. not receptive to new ideas; having a closed mind.
Old 2011-08-20, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #169
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Narrow-minded [nar-oh-mahyn-did]
adjective
1. having or showing a prejudiced mind, as persons or opinions; biased.
2. not receptive to new ideas; having a closed mind.

I see nothing NEW

Single person Mechs.............. NO. See poll, most of the long term player base have been there seen it and got raped trying to buy the t-shirt.
Old 2011-08-20, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #170
Elude
First Sergeant

To me it's either tanks and other light vehicles or just mechs, I really can't connect the two working together without them filling the same roles unless one entire faction was exclusively mechs while the other was not.

What role would a single man mech be? We already have wheeled and tread like vehicles that fill pretty much every role required for vehicular ground combat. On top of that why would anyone want to use a max unit over a one man mech other then to take advantage of indoor fights, I'm also under the assumption that PS2 will have more than half of the playing environment being outside, that's just not fair to max units when you throw something like a one man mech in it's place to be the outside counterpart.

I do however like the idea of being able to upgrade the Max suits to being more friendly to outdoors and against vehicles.

Last edited by Elude; 2011-08-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 2011-08-20, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #171
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

What the OP pretty much appears to describe is the current flying biffer but smaller (harder to hit).
Old 2011-08-20, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #172
NtrSandman
Private

Sorry..I had to comment on this post...

Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
if you keep up with astrology tyhen you would knwo there are sevral earth like planets we know of all of which contain large landmasses, and oceans...<snip>
Astrology? I checked my horoscope after I read this and didn't see anything about Earth-like planets in it anywhere...I'll read Gemini's and see if there is anything there...

Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
aside from alge, planets in our own solor system contain bacteria
Strange, I wasn't aware that ALIEN LIFE had been discovered on other planets. I'd really like to see a news article that shows this. Could you be so kind?

And for on topic...I think a small Lightning-equivalent Mech would be ok. I don't see one of those being OP as long as it had the armor/weaponry similar to that of a small one-man tank. Basically a walking Lightning. Not sure if you would run those simultaneously or remove the Lightning from the game so they didn't overlap. I wouldn't be upset if it didn't make it into the game, either way would be fine.
Old 2011-08-20, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #173
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

I think replacing the lightning with a small one-man mech wouldn't be unbalancing. Slower speed, maybe slightly higher armor value, but the extra height would be both a blessing and curse.

However, I'd rather they just have MAX suits wield huge machineguns/shotguns/what-have-you with their massive hands (think Space Marine or Terran Marine power armors) and not strapped to their arms to satisfy this hunger for Robotech/Gundam fans.

Then again, as I've mentioned before, I can see one-man mechs fitting into space combat without mucking up the rest of the game. Infantry hugging the side of frigates would not only be freakin' stupid, they'd be pretty hard to hit for constantly mobile star fighters and bombers. Mechs here would act as extra large infantry, with weapons (besides rocket launchers) that coincidentally could deal damage to said fighters and bombers.
Old 2011-08-20, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #174
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
What the OP pretty much appears to describe is the current flying biffer but smaller (harder to hit).
It's a little complicated than that. I was thinking of a customizable mech. Not necessarily flying. I just listed off random options to show that a skill-tree could be made for it much like all the other vehicles in the game.

Also this thread wasn't really about BFRs. I would recommend reading it first, but that might be asking too much.
Old 2011-08-20, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #175
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

I've read the thread................... My point stands its nothing new just a smaller jumpjetting/flying BFR you want to call a Mech.
Old 2011-08-20, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #176
Elude
First Sergeant

Assuming we have buggies, atv's, small tanks, medium tanks, artillary tanks, ground transports, where exactly would a mech fit into all this without taking over the role of something else? Not to mention that all of the vehicles mentioned if in the game will also include many upgrades for things like anti air ect, giving more range to their role.

While slightly unrelated this is what I hated about the call of duty games, they had so many weapons filling the same roles that it became a balance nightmare, and anything that was slightly weaker was never used.

If you want to see balance at all in PS2, vehicles need to be entirely separate in role with little to no conflicts with each other. If a mech is anything like a tank then their is no purpose in the tank unless it is slightly better, in which than the mech would serve no purpose if the tank were slightly stronger.
Old 2011-08-20, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #177
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

[QUOTE=NtrSandman;587099]Astrology? I checked my horoscope after I read this and didn't see anything about Earth-like planets in it anywhere...I'll read Gemini's and see if there is anything there...[\QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he meant either astronomy or astrogeology. Probably...

Regardless, they actually have discovered a handful of planets that may be Earthlike.
Old 2011-08-20, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #178
Huma
Sergeant

To put this to rest here is the major issue. Initially when the community actually wanted something like this they requested it to be outfit oriented. We wanted a large vehicle that required a lot of people to run it and that could be used to break siege fights. Instead what we got was an incredibly powerful 1 or 2 seated vehicle that was WAY overpowered.
I am completely and totally against BFRs in their current incarnation. Here is why:

1- Shielding: No vehicle should have the level of shielding that a BFR has. I understand
that it is supposed to have staying power but it's ridiculous.

2- Weaponry: Having AI and AA weaponry leads to solo farming and retards the use of
more appropriate vehicles.

3- Team Play: BFRs encourage solo play even in the gunner variant. Largely this is due
to people not using them correctly.

In order to make BFRs sellable they'll need to address these issues and rename them. Personally I would say increase the crew requirement, drop the shield for more armor, and keep to just AV weaponry.
Old 2011-08-20, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #179
Elude
First Sergeant

I would rather take a leviathan from UT2004/UT3 that can fly over a mech with multiple seats lol.
Old 2011-08-20, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #180
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Huma View Post
1- Shielding: No vehicle should have the level of shielding that a BFR has. I understand that it is supposed to have staying power but it's ridiculous.
In the original post I said one customization might be a momentary shield such as the one found in BF2142. That is it's use would be to block a few rockets from a Reaver or a tank blast if you saw the rockets or shells coming at you and wanted to protect your components. The shield I presented as a skill upgrade wasn't meant to make them invulnerable. It's cool down as explained in the original post is trade-off between it and any flying customization (which I described as a small boost to get onto walls or over rocks. Not to fly like the flying variant).
2- Weaponry: Having AI and AA weaponry leads to solo farming and retards the use of more appropriate vehicles.
Part of me agrees that's why I said they should have so many weak points in the component based system. I like the customization however since it opens choices. I said previously though I don't support having different weapons on each arm. Basically a tank that took a direct shot at it would destroy damage components and force a retreat after a few hits. They'd hold their own against fast moving vehicles and where they can hide behind trees and rocks and other terrain features.
3- Team Play: BFRs encourage solo play even in the gunner variant. Largely this is due to people not using them correctly.
I 100% agree. The concept would be to keep them around players and other vehicles. If anyone gets the jump on them they'll lose components. (Shooting a decimator at an armor or shoulder would severely damage/destroy that component).

Personally I would say increase the crew requirement, drop the shield for more armor, and keep to just AV weaponry.
I'm not a fan of those. They end up just becoming too powerful instead of promoting teamwork. Pushing forward should be left to tanks and ground transport type stuff probably.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-08-20 at 11:24 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion