New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It will push your button.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-21, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #181
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Originally Posted by Huma View Post
Initially when the community actually wanted something like this they requested it to be outfit oriented. We wanted a large vehicle that required a lot of people to run it and that could be used to break siege fights.
What about a big overhaul of the bangbus to a proper gatecrasher? Seems like it's much closer to the concept.
Old 2011-08-21, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #182
Huma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
What about a big overhaul of the bangbus to a proper gatecrasher? Seems like it's much closer to the concept.
Yeah true but that's way after BFRs. We're talking about those here
Old 2011-08-21, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #183
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

If you want them you need a role for them. Preferably that isn't already occupied. Which is essentially going about it the wrong way, a vehicle should be crafted to fit a role, not crafted and then crammed into it.
Old 2011-08-21, 02:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #184
Huma
Sergeant

True true, personally I think it would fill the role of a heavy battle tank well. Just a matter of adjusting it accordingly.
Old 2011-08-21, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #185
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm kind of fond of the tanks we have now. Is there something we need heavier ones for?
Old 2011-08-21, 03:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #186
zuesrocks
Private

no
Old 2011-08-21, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #187
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Mechs could have their place later in the game's life without feeling shoehorned in. Right now all a mech would serve to do is to be a walking tank. Planetside 2 doesn't need 2 different medium tanks.

And honestly: making them multi-manned feels forced. We know space combat is a direction SOE wants to go, and I do like the idea of giant robots acting as infantry in space. Outside of a station of course.
Old 2011-08-21, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #188
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

That's actually one of the few places where a mech makes some sense. Infantry aren't very well suited to space combat away from stations or ships, so having an infantry like vehicle to fulfill their roles seems feasible.
Old 2011-08-21, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #189
Huma
Sergeant

I'm kind of fond of the tanks we have now. Is there something we need heavier ones for?
Currently not really. But if you consider the shear volume of fire a vehicle is going to have to work through on some fights. Remember it's not going to be a handful of reavers, tanks, and av grunts. It's going to be hundreds. So having a heavier tank that you can use to break an enemy line is going to be important.
Old 2011-08-21, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #190
Thumpa
Private

I threw together a quick sketch of how a multi-man mech would operate.

Old 2011-08-21, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #191
zuesrocks
Private

the op is talking about bfs its clear,its been confirmed that there will Never be bfs in planetside 2 ever
Old 2011-08-21, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #192
Sirisian
Colonel

Yeah true but that's way after BFRs. We're talking about those here
That wasn't the original point of this thread. The original point was a small balanced agile vehicle to fight along-side tanks and infantry. When people associate BFR with the mech idea I proposed it conjures up ideas of a super mech and not the one I described.

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
Mechs could have their place later in the game's life without feeling shoehorned in. Right now all a mech would serve to do is to be a walking tank. Planetside 2 doesn't need 2 different medium tanks.
It's not a medium tank. Their weapons and roles would be very different. The lightning has speed in a linear direction and a fast firing cannon the mech I proposed would be more of a medium range attacker that would be pushed back by say a tank shooting from afar. (My other thread explains how I'd prefer tanks function).

Originally Posted by Thumpa View Post
That's exactly what I imagine. A lot of useless roles. I'm glad someone else see what I mean. (To be fair I go a bit further. I linked to my other thread which removes that monotony of multi-manned vehicles and replaces it with action for all participants).
Old 2011-08-21, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #193
Graywolves
General

I approve.
Old 2011-08-21, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #194
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Currently not really. But if you consider the shear volume of fire a vehicle is going to have to work through on some fights. Remember it's not going to be a handful of reavers, tanks, and av grunts. It's going to be hundreds. So having a heavier tank that you can use to break an enemy line is going to be important.
If you're not going to balance them to do their own job, what would be the point of the existing tanks?

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
That wasn't the original point of this thread.
Your thread died almost a month ago. It was resurrected because Tatwi's got locked. No one cares what the original point was.

Epic.

Last edited by Talek Krell; 2011-08-21 at 05:53 PM.
Old 2011-08-21, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #195
Sirisian
Colonel

Your thread died almost a month ago. It was resurrected because Tatwi's got locked. No one cares what the original point was.
It was locked because no one really cared for BFRs. The point of this thread isn't about BFRs. If you had read that and not bumped it indiscriminately you would have realized that.

The original point of this thread was addressing the problems with a BFR while still keeping the fun that the idea of a mech chassis could be used for without bringing up the flawed designs of a multi-manned vehicle.

The whole concept is drastically different from the usage of a tank that comparing the two is kind of pointless. It's like comparing a Reaver to a tank essentially which was an example use previously to differentiate what this mech would function like. (Ground based Reaver).

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-08-21 at 06:06 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion