News: RPS interview with Higby - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Can we use 2 Bolt Drivers?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-09, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: RPS interview with Higby

Everything sounded right, up until the Ant part.
RPS: Are Ants (the resource trucks) going to return?

Higby: Yes. We like the ANT system, we like that gameplay a lot, because it was fun to be able to load one into a galaxy and drop it into a base and save the day. We’re trying to figure out exactly what we’re trying to do with that system.
Yeah sure it had its moments but generally it wasn't that great of a gameplay element. I'd much prefer to just pick up or be rewarded resources for actions.

This better not turn into another warp gate run or a "go to the resource pile and collect resources and drive it back for your faction". Bit too RTS for my liking.
Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Every empire has it's own "heavy anti-infantry weapon". That doesn't flow quite as well in a big list of gun types, but I'll try to work it in that way from now in my ongoing efforts to ensure that Bags doesn't have a conniption fit after every interview.
Darn. Never been a fan of the ES weapons since they turn into a balance nightmare. Have you thought of maybe giving each empire their own HA equivalent but then just vary the resource costs such that HA weapons cost resources to use but are cheaper for their respective faction?

Kind of wish HA was a rarer weapon in the battlefield and not something everyone is running around with all the time. That might be too big of a change though for most vets.
Old 2011-09-09, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Bags
Lieutenant General

Sirisian I don't like any of your HA ideas. At all.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-09-09 at 05:29 PM.
Old 2011-09-09, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Everything sounded right, up until the Ant part.

Yeah sure it had its moments but generally it wasn't that great of a gameplay element. I'd much prefer to just pick up or be rewarded resources for actions.

This better not turn into another warp gate run or a "go to the resource pile and collect resources and drive it back for your faction". Bit too RTS for my liking.
I have to counter there: I love the ANT and the mechanics around it. I often enjoy just driving from base to base, filling them up, and remembering all those great battles that happend at different locations. Every time i do this, i get a big surge of nostalgia.
And i also love those combat ant drops. The thrill you get when your gal pilot is getting close, AA is picking up, you yelling at /b and/or /comxy to get the hell out of the base and guard the NTU silo, dropping, and filling that 10% base back to 50 or even more, is just completly bejond everything.

And HA Balance wont be an issue. They just screwed up every time they tried.
Old 2011-09-09, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
I have to counter there: I love the ANT and the mechanics around it. I often enjoy just driving from base to base, filling them up, and remembering all those great battles that happend at different locations. Every time i do this, i get a big surge of nostalgia.
And i also love those combat ant drops. The thrill you get when your gal pilot is getting close, AA is picking up, you yelling at /b and/or /comxy to get the hell out of the base and guard the NTU silo, dropping, and filling that 10% base back to 50 or even more, is just completly bejond everything.
I hope we get ANT bombs.
Old 2011-09-09, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Im all for giving you the MCG, but i always wanted a pulsar MCG. A Laser MCG, hurrr. Maybe not that high ROF, but close. Just different enough to know that this is a Vanu MCG, and that is a TR MCG.
A NC MCG should actually fire backwards and kill the user. :P
This^
oh and this v

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I hope we get ANT bombs.

Last edited by Bruttal; 2011-09-09 at 05:42 PM.
Old 2011-09-09, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Raymac
Brigadier General

And HA Balance wont be an issue. They just screwed up every time they tried.
I'm totally with you on and ANT runs. Sometimes it can be more exciting driving an ANT through enemy lines weaving through the trees trying to make it in time before the NTU's drop to 0. Or hell, sometimes it's good to just take a break after a massive brawl and take a drive to the WG and back. On the flip side, it's fun getting in my Reaver and hunting for the enemy ANT that I know is on it's way.

I hope they modify how ANTs work because there is probably room for improvement, but I'm happy to hear they will make a return. I assume you can probably upgrade them as well which can make ANT races more interesting lol

Old 2011-09-09, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I'm totally with you on and ANT runs. Sometimes it can be more exciting driving an ANT through enemy lines weaving through the trees trying to make it in time before the NTU's drop to 0. Or hell, sometimes it's good to just take a break after a massive brawl and take a drive to the WG and back. On the flip side, it's fun getting in my Reaver and hunting for the enemy ANT that I know is on it's way.

I hope they modify how ANTs work because there is probably room for improvement, but I'm happy to hear they will make a return. I assume you can probably upgrade them as well which can make ANT races more interesting lol
As for customization, i imagine things like more load but less speed and armor, more speed and less load and armor, or more armor and bla, you know. Like, a super fast and that cant even fill a single base, a super heavy armored Ant, a blokade runner, that literally survives alot, and the big ass truck that you use to drive throu the whole continent, filling everything up, stopping at that pit stop to pickup that girl and have fun with her on the backseat (with or without her agreement).

Hell, i want to be a trucker.

"But mister truck driver, i dont want to do "that" "
"Take of your pants, bit**!"

:>
Old 2011-09-09, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Raymac
Brigadier General

Note to self: Never road trip with Basti. lmao

Old 2011-09-09, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
stargazer093
Sergeant

personally I really really like the idea of every empire got its own version of original empire-specific weapon, it makes the battle and faction more realistic. Tbh, PS1`s weapon design is in fact, "divide modern armament then give them unequally to all 3 empires "

Look at MCG, for exemple, MCG is clearly a future version of M134,which uses for rape infantries. However, only Tr have access to them,almost every TR heavy infantries got one for their versatility. Instead, NC got JH, which only work in close-quarter combat. In others places, NC have to rely on Gausse. As for anti-armor weapons, TR got striker, the only infantries` effective AA weapon in the game, but doesn`t work that well in close-quarter and against max, which means...it`s stinger? As for NC, Phoenix, which never works well against aircrafts but in close-quarter, it`s effective against max and vehicle in the open. As for VS, Lancer. In every aspect, Lancer remind me of Anti-material rifle for killing vehicle and armor in long range...

Sometime I couldn`t help but ask: are arm development branch in the far future really that stupid to only offer some sole-function weapons for its empire? Why can`t NC come with a heavy weapon that can offer suppressive fire? Why can`t TR have a weapon that can kill a infantry with a few shoots in close-combat? Why can`t all the empires have a long-range pinpoint anti-armor weapon? Why can`t NC and VS have some infantry AA weapons? etc.

ps: sry for the bad english :X
Old 2011-09-09, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Surprized no one has touched on the fact melee will be in the game and not just for the cloakers.

I can't decide if I want to be a sniper, a decked out MAX suit, tank driver, or deep spec hacker.
Old 2011-09-09, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
CutterJohn
Colonel

Despite mostly playing purple, the MCG was largely my ideal of what HA should be. I would be very happy if they have different variants on that theme for all empires.
Old 2011-09-09, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Zclipse
Private

It's a shame, the more I learn about Planetside 2, the more disappointed I become, it no longer sounds like the game I fell in love with...

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 2011-09-10, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Interesting stuff, more melee would be welcome especially if we get that AT melee MAX that was dreamed up back in the day. Thing looked awesome and the short range teleport was a sweet idea. Armor siphon could use some love too as it's basically the BFR melee weapon. Could have some cool applications by having it strapped to a tank in place of its main weapon.

I've been looking for a place to expand the HA discussion and since it's come up might as well do it here. The stats of damage, rate of fire, and range ignore something else that actually determines how good the weapon is: Margin for error. With the MCG you can miss quite a bit and the JH has a good sized effective AOE. The Lasher has a large hit or miss style projectile and if you miss just 1 or 2 orbs you're probably going to wind up dead if you're in an even fight (and with warping you will). I'm worried that the new weapons will ignore this balancing factor as well.

I enjoy ANTs just in how they're a utility vehicle that everyone has. ANT races, demo derbies, and general silliness is enjoyable with the ANT. I remember one time at the Tore/Leza bridge we stacked up about 20 ANTs and just rushed across the bridge. Didn't do much but was fun and in the end isn't that what playing the game is about?
Oh yeah, I like filling bases too. Can be hectic when dealing with drain teams. Or when you're the drain team. Good times.

I'm definitely on the side that wants inventories. I always enjoyed playing around with my load outs to maximize space management. It's a mini-game in itself with rewards for doing a good job. I don't see why, for balance, various armor types like the jump pack just cannot use some weapons like MAXs can't use knifes or how, mentioned earlier in the thread, infiltrators can't use rifles.

Worried that the dual MAX arm system will fall into the same trap that BFRs are in now in that if you don't have both arms be the same weapon you time to kill is too long and targets will escape before you can kill them. Rather have MAXs dedicated to roles with more unique looks for longer range identification.

I'm sad to hear that the flail won't be in the game. I really enjoyed setting up flail squads and both lasing and firing was fun for me. I'm hoping that when they're talking about the gunship being indirect support that it's going to be more like an AC-130 in that it hits from long range and the the best counter to it is other aircraft. Having a flying tank that needs to be close to the ground to be effective just encourages a disproportional amount of AA to be in the field.
Also cutting the Wasp's lock-on range by 50% will improve dogfights.

Things that are in for the sake of coolness often can be taken and turned into something useful in the right hands. The router is a prime example, rarely used but has the power to break open bases when used by a competent team. A better example would probably be the Sunderer's horn, sure it doesn't do anything but it's FUN.
Old 2011-09-10, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

I'd really love to see that ANT's role are enhanced.

I think the original idea with them was to force people organizing convoys to constantly filling important bases. In design terms: to generate skirmishes around moving targets. Just think about it, how much fun this gameplay would have been - instead of grinding the same bases over and over and over.
Old 2011-09-10, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Draep View Post
The class system is a good idea. Personalized inventories allowed you to fly a mossie into a base with heavy assault, anti vehicle and engineer, how is that teamplay based or balanced at all?
I read that the new mossie can hover. I hope MAXes can't fly them.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion