Squad names? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WOOOOO WOOOOOOO!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-01, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Unknown
First Sergeant

Squad names?

This is something I've never seen discussed, and I've not thought of it untill recently.

I know there will be names for outfits, but can you give squads names? I have seen no information regarding this, and can only assume the answer is no. I can think of many uses for this, to name only a few:

1.) People who don't want to join/make an outfit, but still would like to make a temporary group and dub it with a cool name. Or even people who are already in an outfit, but want to give their squad a seperate name, Ex: Hamma's Hammers. Hamma is in CDL but he created an outfit for the beta. When the game is released he will join CDL and will no longer be able to use that cool name . If he could name the squads he formed then he could use that every time he creates a squad.

2.) To quickly show an important snippet of important information, or to identify a specific squad easier (especially if the squad was part of a larger group/platoon, so the organizing commander(s) could identify/communicate with them easier). Ex: Gunuku Defenders, Eadon Attackers, Left wing, Attack squad, etc.

What do you guys think? Would naming squads be very useful? Or would it just be mundane/unnecessary?
Old 2003-04-01, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Totally unnecessary. Squads are temporary groups, not long-term things. If you keep squadding with the same people, good for you, but most people don't and will never frequently squad with the exact same people.
Old 2003-04-01, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Chanfan
Staff Sergeant

I agree that I don't think it does or will happen.

But, I'm sure if it did, folks would find a use for it - they often do come up with surprising ways to use things like that.
Old 2003-04-01, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
BladeRunner
Contributor
First Sergeant

I see your point about being able to recognize what squad each soldier is in during an intense battle. That reminds of me Homeworld, where a unit's control group number was displayed when selected. I can't think of an effecient way of doing this in PlanetSide though... I guess Squads will just have to travel together or be well organized ahead of time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion