Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pee + Ess + You = PSU
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Shields Replace Armor?
Yes! Keep it like it is! I love it! 54 41.86%
Yes and No, Use both systems for different classes. 36 27.91%
No! Give us back our armor system! 32 24.81%
Yes, but only for Vanu armors. 7 5.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-16, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zekeen
Major

Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?

Greetings fellow vets and hopeful recruits-

Lately, I have been wondering how many people know, or care, of a certain issue that scares me with the change. According to the thread on game features:

• Shields replace armor, shields regen if you don’t take damage, health takes full damage, no BLOODY SCREEN health heal, different types of shields (regen slower, higher max, faster regen timer)

Now, I know a of people play and enjoy games like Halo, CoD, ect, that employs a shield, or shield style health system, but I know others also enjoy games with a more permanent health that does not regenerate without assistance. Health will be separate from shields in PS2, obviously, but is giving everyone shields over armor a good idea?

The Bad:

In PS1, we had armor and you'd have to go to an equipment terminal or find an engineer to get repairs. This gave engineers are more close quarters and infantry styled job. Instead of being just mine layers and vehicle crews, they'd jump off into the base and storm along side you, killing and repairing as they went, keeping the push going.

Having armor over shields also means that if you wing someone and chase them down, they will still be hurt. With shields they can hide and regenerate their shields and face you at full again, despite having been hit earlier.

The Good:

It can speed up gameplay. No longer do you need to worry about facing an enemy weakened or hunt down an engineer. You can just wait a minute, recharge and jump into the fray again.

If you get injured in the middle of no where, you can recover without trekking back to the nearest base or engineer.

You won't have to worry about minor hits that aren't worth seeking help over. As the shields regenerate, you will always start a fight at full.

The Either:

As seen in the recent gameplay video. When hit, the player flashes since his shields are taking damage. On one side, it helps you hit a target, if they glow for a second, you know where they are and that you hit them. On another side, it takes out a bit of realism and difficulty, and makes you light up if you happen to be hit by a stray bullet in the middle of a battle while taking a tactical position or flanking.

Also, shields are most likely intended to keep the battle heavier and more brutal. If you regenerate shields, you don't need an engineer and to seek repair. On the other hand, if you get hit, you may be more inclined to hide every time to regenerate, instead of with armor where you can't so you would charge in an all or nothing attack since it was your only chance sometimes. Would shields speed up combat, or make us seek shelter every time we take dmg, the same way many instinctively reload after every shot.

My personal take:

While I understand what they are after, I myself, do not like the idea of going to shields. It takes out a LOT of tactical elements and they are making the game a bit too fast paced as is. Armor gave you a greater sense of vulnerability, made you think on your next move after every conflict cause it kept you alive. Shields just keep going and going. I makes combat too different, and that's not just nostalgia speaking. Personally, I think shields can work as an armor class of their own, but we need armor. Shields should be on top of a light amount of armor and primarily used in Vanu infantry and armor, it makes more sense for Vanu to have it. I'm pure NC, and I don't like Vanu, but as far PS goes, Vanu need stuff like this while the rest use harsher armor system. It makes it more themed and feel right.

So what does everyone else think of this replacement of armor with shields? Does it make sense? Is it good for PS theme? Is it a good gameplay choice? Should it belong to all 3 factions or just Vanu?

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-03-16 at 04:40 PM.
Old 2012-03-16, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Briq
Private

Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?

I didn't mind the old system, but a shield system sounds good too. I definitely think they should keep it equal across all factions though, it would be too hard to balance otherwise.
Old 2012-03-16, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

I have no problem with it at all. It's no different to cod, battlefield and the like. They should all be considered exactly the same system. Regen health is no different to regen shields, they're just different names for what is essentially exactly the same gameplay feature and effect.

Doesn't hurt any other game that uses regen, it won't hurt PS.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-16, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zulthus
Colonel

I'm not really a fan of recharging shields; I liked that there was some teamwork involved with repairing and healing other players. Now it's sit in one spot waiting for your shield to recharge, drop a med box, and go.

I'd have to see it in game first to really judge it.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

I don't want a Halo type rechargable shield. I liked how in PS if you got someone down to an ounce of life, you could hunt them down like a scared little rabbit. I wouldn't want anyone to be able to get shot and just hide behind a wall waiting to get health back. Whats wrong with the damn glue and med certs? Why do we have to be like all these console games?
Old 2012-03-16, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zekeen
Major

It is a sequel though, and to a MMO no less, so it is touchy.

One thing I should of added to the polls, though it is kinda covered by yes and no, is that it'd be nice if shields were just slightly weaker than armor and you could choose your armor loadout for some classes to use shields or armor. Armor would be better if you had an engineer in your team, but shields for when you lack an engineer or the time to repair. It'd be like a side-grade that way.

There's lots of ways of going around this, I just don't like there being JUST shields and health like that. Makes it seem like you got a small portable handheld shield device pinned to your chest and your armor is just for show.

I'm somewhat guessing though, that they just made armor a part of health and shields might just be a light protective field with minimal capacity. We really haven't gotten to much info on this (part of the reason for me trying to call attention to it). If it's a health based thing with minor shields, even people like me won't be very upset. It all depends on the system.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Sigh.

Recharging shields are functionally identical to Battlefield. Nothing wrong with it.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-16, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zulthus
Colonel

Nothing wrong with good ol' armor and health that needs to be manually restored either. I agree with Zekeen, there should be an option to use one or the other.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Wait and see on this one really.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I'd have to reserve judgement until we play beta.

They were reminiscent of Halo to me, which isn't entirely a bad thing. The Halo shield recharge dynamic was very fun, for me at least.

Apparently they are offering different variants such as you mentioned, faster regen, larger shield pool etc. as seen in the GDC presentation.

Again, I'll just have to reserve judgement til I see them. Hopefully it's not a guise be used to cloud the fact that they're mimicing a health regen system similar to CoD or BF.

You can argue that regen shields and regen health are very similar, which they are. But depending on how it's implemented they can be drastically different.

Hurry up and release beta SOE

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-03-16, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
RNFB
First Sergeant

I think it's a good change. Having to stop, pull out BANK, repair, pull out medical app, heal, got really old and annoying quite fast. Now that medics have healing beams and don't need to ride your ass and both of you be completely still, the action will stay in motion more consistently.

Health isn't going to regen, and the shields don't have to be a 1, 2, 3, full deal (otherwise the idea of being able to have faster regen would be moot if the base model is practically instant)

Engineers will probably have some devices to boost shield capabilities, so their role there is preserved.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
Now that medics have healing beams and don't need to ride your ass and both of you be completely still, the action will stay in motion more consistently.
Was this confirmed? Did I miss something?

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-03-16, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Halo, Republic Commando and WH40kSM did the thing nicely. I mean youcan go in for the kill, yet you have to keep yourself from getting overzealous.

The new system is pure win.

EDIT: Also medlink prooflink please.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-03-16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I like shield systems for the most part.

You have non-regen health and regen health that way. I think it's the best of both worlds.
Though, I'd try to keep the shield recharge timer on the longer side. Perhaps neato certs and things could fix guns to be shield piercing/disrupting.

I wouldn't be wholly against a 3 tier system, though. - Shields and/or non-regen armor depending on class, mostly for the heavy stuff that requires support around it.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Knocky
Major

The new system is fine as far as I am concerned.

After a few BR's everyone had a basic Engi anyway to repair themselves.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion