Tanks... weapon sound effects. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Strangers have the best candy.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-11, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Tanks... weapon sound effects.

1st off, I really enjoy the sound effects when I played planetside 1, that said...

My 11yr daughter (Grognette) and I ussually play VS, but Ive always liked all the empires (she gets pissed at Terrans though...), and these 3 tanks that Ive seen so far, really express that sentiment... different styles / dogmas, but equal coolness / effectiveness...

Now getting to my main point... I have really high hopes about the sound effects for the tanks, and that is that they all have a vicerally terrifying sound for the weapons. So much so, that when one hears them, its a lesson in psycological warfare close up... I want to be "shocked" when I hear my own faction tank... and terrified when I hear an enemies close by... In a game sense of course... but I hope the "shock and awe" is present.

Each of these tanks already look... "badass", I hope the sound they emit presents a promise of the destruction to come. I am confident the developers will not make any armored "tysons"... and I am hoping to piss my pants frequently when I hear these things comming...

Cheers
Old 2012-01-11, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
MpS
Private

Re: Tanks... weapon sound effects.

I hope this is true for all of the vehicle sound effects to be honest, where the sounds strike fear into the hearts of the weak. I know what you mean by shock and awe, it really adds to the immersion when these kinds of things happen and so for all vehicles I really hope they manage to convey this. Seeing the passion they are putting into the game I would like to assume this is going to be true.
Old 2012-01-11, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

The mag will be hard to hit that profile, but the other 2 could be good.

I suppose whatever sounds the mag has will be terrifying, how ever loud it is.
Old 2012-01-11, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
texico
Master Sergeant

I'd thought a lot about sound effects. They're a big part of PlanetSide and create all the atmosphere in battles. I think I kind of want to see two things.

1, if anybody has seen the photos of what seems to be the Gauss rifle in PlanetSide 2, it's a pretty perfect representation of the original - the core elements are the same or similar, but the whole thing has an "enhanced" feel about it. I'd love to see a similar kind of upgrade to the sound effects. There's a lot of nostalgia in those noises which has a massive potential to please some of the thousands of Veteran players. Firing a Gauss has a very distinct piercing sound.

2, However, the actual quality of the sound effects wasn't as great as it could have been and some of them can sound a bit thin sometimes - I have surround sound connected to my PC and you can hear it. So I'd want to see an upgrade in the quality and complexity of the firing sound effects for vehicles and weapons but for them to still have the same feel.

Plenty of deep, rich bass noises is a pretty good start for the heavy stuff like Vanguards. If you've ever been near a cannon going off, the vibrations and deep rich bass is awesome.
Old 2012-01-11, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

Sound effects is extremely important imo.

One thing with good sound effects that I love is that very muffled and distant sounds you hear from a somewhat distant, shooting tank or similar. That sound that almost give you that "shaking ground" sensation, I just love that.

If I remember correctly I think Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising had pretty good sound effects. I'd like to say the recent Battlefield games as well but I can't honestly remember how those were in terms of sound effects so I can't say for sure.
Old 2012-01-11, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Raymac
Brigadier General

Yeah. The sound effects in PS1 weren't bad, but maybe it was just all my time with the gauss, but I want the weapons in PS2 to be less pew pew and more boom boom.

The effects we heard in the gameplay video were pretty awesome (especially the mossie rockets), so even if those are the final, then I'll be happy.

Old 2012-01-11, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

I loved the sound of the PS1 cycler. Almost sounded like a normal gunshot pitched up a few semi tones. Gave it a really fast/refined sound.
Old 2012-01-11, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Knocky
Major

I don't really care what they sound like....only that they have distinctive sounds from one another.

I really....REALLY hate vehicle weekends. Can't tell if that was a VS Mag or friendly.

Which brings up the point, why are there so many Mags running around on vehicle weekends if there supposedly is a huge backlash against drivers gunning?
Old 2012-01-11, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I loved the sound in Battlefield 3; anything near to that level of awesomeness would be good!
Old 2012-01-11, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
I don't really care what they sound like....only that they have distinctive sounds from one another.

I really....REALLY hate vehicle weekends. Can't tell if that was a VS Mag or friendly.

Which brings up the point, why are there so many Mags running around on vehicle weekends if there supposedly is a huge backlash against drivers gunning?
Higby mentioned that each vehicle has unique sound effects (I had asked if the Lib would keep it's engine noise).

As for the Mags, the answer of course is because they are the best tank.
Old 2012-01-11, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I hope the VS weapons have some bass behind them. Anything around the level of the warp sound in the new Star Trek would be fine
Old 2012-01-11, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Hey Grog,

I thought you and your girl had totally dropped PS.

Glad to see that you are still lurking around.

I agree with you, sound will be very important and I'm very hopeful that they will get it right. The HD sounds in PS1 were already quite nice though a more detailed bass along with "ground trembling" visual FX will definitely make it feel awesome.

From The9 video trailer, cannon shots already look gorgeous.

I'm curious to see the mag railbeam in action though.
Old 2012-01-12, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Hey Grog,

I thought you and your girl had totally dropped PS.

Glad to see that you are still lurking around.
We havent played in a while, she does lots of girlscouts... but she is on for PS2... I almost feel sorry for Terrans... she really dislikes them, LOL. Shes like a little vampire... her eyes glow when she sees red

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
I agree with you, sound will be very important and I'm very hopeful that they will get it right. The HD sounds in PS1 were already quite nice though a more detailed bass along with "ground trembling" visual FX will definitely make it feel awesome.

From The9 video trailer, cannon shots already look gorgeous.

I'm curious to see the mag railbeam in action though.
I saw that 'The9" video directly after posting, and agree... I was floored by the tank salvos. Well, actually, everything. Confidence in this encarnation of Planetside is riding high for me.

The only things Im worried about are...

1. Badly implemented "caves", like before.

2. No BFRs like PS1 - I've played waaaay too much Mechwarrior ("Olaf Pryde" or "Bret Pryde" anyone?), so unless they are done right (subjective, yes...) I wont like 'em...

3. Constant orbital strikes... %^$#^&@ hated that... A high end, non-ubiquitous, commander tool to break stalemates is expected though.

4. No hackers... zero tolerance! I can deal with the occasional "prototype..." slipping through, but I hope they get squashed hard, fast, and permanent... Thats my pipe-dream anyway.

Summary... I think this is going to be "THE game".
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion