A different sniper discussion; anti materiel - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where everyone can have implants.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-09, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

Re: A different sniper discussion; anti materiel

If this was to be down It should be on the sniper rifled skill tree.With the added power against infantry you would be a decrease in portablity as well.
Old 2012-01-09, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Snipers shouldn't be able to one shot infantry and stop vehicles.

How overpowered do you guys want them?!?!
Still needs explosive rounds, a personal radar that will alert the sniper if someone spotted him or someones trying to sneak up on him, and just a touch of god mode for flavor.
Old 2012-01-10, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
LongBow
Sergeant

to make the AMR balanced you say it delivers a charge that disintegrates nanite based construction. and thus does next to nout against a softie.

However I'm against it ... why does a sniper need to fill the HA role?
Old 2012-01-10, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by LongBow View Post
to make the AMR balanced you say it delivers a charge that disintegrates nanite based construction. and thus does next to nout against a softie.

However I'm against it ... why does a sniper need to fill the AV role?
They don't. It's just a tactically cool idea spawned back in the days of Halo 2, and I know not from where else.

Let snipers be the unseen bane of front line infantry. We don't need vehicles worrying about where the snipers are too.
Old 2012-01-10, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

I would definitely love to see some kind of anti material sniper rifle or gun in the game. Make it difficult to hit aircrafts, but let it be possible.

And yet again another BF reference:
Old 2012-01-10, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by BlazingSun View Post
I would definitely love to see some kind of anti material sniper rifle or gun in the game. Make it difficult to hit aircrafts, but let it be possible.

And yet again another BF reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjb7j...eature=related
wow... throw back to middle school... listening to Fear Factory... jeeze time flies.
Old 2012-01-10, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
igster
Sergeant

Am I wrong or would AMR weaponary be more bulky than other types of round, therefore does it not fit in with infantry more than snipers? Snipers would need to be stealthy and/or use Camouflage gear in order that they are not observed whereas man portable heavy weaponary is more likely to be carried by your heavier infantry unit.

A sniper to electronically target or paint a vehicle for another heavy infantry unit to fire seems a nice gameplay mechanic.

A stealthy sniper carrying around bulky heavy weaponary capable of self propelling and taking out heavy armour sounds a bit daft.
Old 2012-01-10, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by igster View Post
A sniper to electronically target or paint a vehicle for another heavy infantry unit to fire seems a nice gameplay mechanic.
LASER POINTER
Old 2012-01-10, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

I wouldn't mind snipers or other weapons for that matter, being able to kill drivers/gunners/passengers from OPEN cockpit vehicles. The driver of a tank is likely enclosed and should be invulnerable to sniper fire. But lets say the gunner has to poke his head out of the tank to man the turret, he should be vulnerable to fire.

With a vehicle like, lets say, the Marauder. All three occupants are exposed, and with accurate fire, should be able to be killed seperate from the vehicle.

If a sniper is capable of landing a headshot on an occupant of a moving vehicle, they deserve the kill imo.

At the same time, shots should have their damage reduced just a little, so that if some kind of explosive or AoE damage hits the vehicle, it doesn't just rape all the occupants and leave the vehicle slightly damaged.
Old 2012-01-10, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
igster
Sergeant

I too would love to see someone splattered all over the floor driving around in those bloody ATV's (fury particularly) by a sniper.

And BTW ofc i know about the lazer pointer mechanic - that suits an invisible enemy or a sniper. More particularly a sniper than a cloaker.
Old 2012-01-10, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I think the devs have said that open vehicles will allow the occupants to be shot directly?

Always pissed me off to open up on an ATV with my Pulsar and not make much of a dent.
Old 2012-01-10, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
I think the devs have said that open vehicles will allow the occupants to be shot directly?

Always pissed me off to open up on an ATV with my Pulsar and not make much of a dent.
Use the AV mode That will eat up an ATV.

I've actually killed a Vanny this way once! (Not from full HP of course.)

Though like i said before, i hope direct fire on an occupant of a vehicle is reduced damage to avoid explosives instanty killing all the occupants instantly. Headshots from prescision weapons should still be quick/instant as it takes much more effort and skill IMO.
Old 2012-01-10, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Kouza
Sergeant

No, why would we make a powerful weapon more powerful?
Old 2012-01-10, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Xaine
Major

Playing as a full-time Sniper for most of Planetside 1, i'd say this idea would just make Snipers too good.

As someone pointed out, being effective against armour, deadly against infantry, having range and surprise on your side. Thats just too much good stuff rolled into one.

As a Sniper in Planetside 1, i could single handedly slow down a footzerg from a tower in a battle situation. I also used to do it in a team of 3-5 of us, all with Bolt-drivers, sending rounds through the trees, making infantry duck and cover, we could completely halt a zerg by making them keep their heads down.

I've been 50-60/0 a few times, just by sitting in one good spot. Adding an effective weapon against armour would just be too good.

Last edited by Xaine; 2012-01-10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 2012-01-11, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
I've been 50-60/0 a few times, just by sitting in one good spot. Adding an effective weapon against armour would just be too good.
Considering that the sniper class is the same class that has cloakers, I don't imagine we will be having snipers who can carry more than one rifle.

Given that limitation, you could just make it an alternate, anti armor rifle. Make the VS one be similar to the PS1 Lancer, with the other empires having their own spinoffs. That way a sniper would have to choose whether they wanted to attack armor or infantry.

I agree that giving them the ability to effectively do both at once would be just a little much though. At least if snipers are going to be a little more deadly this time around.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion