A different sniper discussion; anti materiel - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Everyone Knows Your Name
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-11, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: A different sniper discussion; anti materiel

The Lancer actually made a decent AI weapon though, even though it's damage against infantry was nerfed by comparison to it's AV damage. I think I'd rather have the heavier infantry do the AV work.
Old 2012-01-11, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

If there's an engineering class, AV will likely be one of its dedicated role. Of course, it does not mean that other classes should have zero AV capabilities but they would definitely not be the most optimal class at it.

FYI, this statement is based on nothing except that I'm fully assuming that devs are playing it mainstream and will be copying BF loosely in their class model choices.
Old 2012-01-12, 12:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Alanim
Private

A way to hinder the effectiveness of these snipers is to give them non-perfect(Roughly a pixel in all directions) accuracy, while including wind/gravity. The distances will be so great that even a slight imperfection in accuracy would make hitting infantry very difficult, while hitting bulkier vehicles wouldn't really change.

If you couple that with low mobility/having to go prone/etc. It could should fine. A feature which I think could do well on this class is that once you have your gun set up(assuming you'd have to set it up). Instead of swapping weapon you could just leave the gun there and use your pistol, making the anti-vehicle sniper kind of like a stationary manual turret.
Old 2012-01-12, 02:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
If there's an engineering class, AV will likely be one of its dedicated role. Of course, it does not mean that other classes should have zero AV capabilities but they would definitely not be the most optimal class at it.

FYI, this statement is based on nothing except that I'm fully assuming that devs are playing it mainstream and will be copying BF loosely in their class model choices.
“We have six different infantry classes,” Matt continues, as he uses a debug command to unlock the camera, swooping in on character models to show the astonishing, and quite possibly needless, level of detail.

“Light assault is basically the ‘glass cannon’ character. He can do the most damage the quickest. He’s very agile, but it’s also very vulnerable. Because he can get to places very quickly, he can overextend himself very easily and if he doesn’t have support backing him up he can get crushed.” Matt moves the camera along. “This is our engineer. He can place barriers and gun turrets, and repair vehicles. But he can do a lot of offensive stuff on top of that. Our gun turrets aren’t automated, they require a player to actually man them. And then the engineer can go throw mines down and destroy vehicles

“Our heavy assault character again has a dualistic role: he can either be very much an anti-infantry character or very much an anti-vehicle character. You can go play a medic and not really focus on being a combatant, but medics can be very much an in-your-face infantry fighter, too. MAX [mechsuited soldiers] are definitely making a comeback. Unlike PlanetSide 1 where there was a specific MAX for each role, our MAX is configurable, so that you can put an anti-infantry weapon on one arm and an anti-vehicle weapon on another arm. Like everything else we’re allowing for a really wide range of customisation with each one of these classes.”
i think there is another quote somewhere else but it basicly says that heavy assault configured for AV will be the primary infantry AV.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-12, 02:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Ah ok, thanks for the tip. I guess it works for MAXes too so every class maybe given more or less AV.

Just like they will be given more or less good AI.
Old 2012-01-12, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
SKYeXile
Major General

dam well hope AI kills maxes.

I'm wondering how ill spend my points now though.

Scythe is a definite, for sure.

But i want heavy weapons for when im infantry, the problem is though i cant use that when im in an aircraft, so ill probably have to train engineer or medic? engineer maybe a good choice because then i can repair my aircraft if i need to do that at all, but then i would be leveling up 3 things...then i wonder do i even have to bother with heavy weapons? i probably do because ill need the extra armour due to having a fucked up ping. fuck it...ill just station cash what i need.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-12, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Get the scythe. You'll be wasting tanks all day long and enjoy nice A2A fighters from the other empires who had the same idea.
^^

For grunt side, HA might be a good choice since less twitchy players (like me) will go for support classes.

You will limited to playing only one class at a time anyways.

So if the fight is not outside (scythe required), you will be inside (HA heaven!).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion