Got tank? - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Submitting tons of quotes makes you cool
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-11, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Got tank?

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
i think the games of today should focus on making gamers into team players. i think people derive more satisfaction from winning as a team, as a group rather than winning on their own.
I see what you are saying, but I don't think you are losing much of the team aspect in Planetside 2. We've all played Planetside 1, so we know the "real" enjoyment of the game comes from playing with your outfit mates. PS2 is not doing anything to detract from this, in fact, they are expanding on it by introducing outfit benefits.

At the heart of the game, PS2 is still very much an MMO. So just because it might have things in there that allow people to play solo if they want, all the benefits of working with a team are still present and therefore teamwork will still pwn n00bs.

Old 2012-01-11, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sabrak View Post
Yeah, right.

'Cus back in 2003, we were totally raised in multiplayer.
Well...yeah, you could have been.

I don't have a problem with tank drivers being able to use their own guns, I only wonder how it'll affect the tank:infantry ratio on the battlefield. Hopefully it won't be a problem.
Old 2012-01-11, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Sabrak View Post
Yeah, right.

'Cus back in 2003, we were totally raised in multiplayer.
Planetside released in 2003...you're on a planetside forum...

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-11, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I remember playing the original Call of Duty back in 2003, multi-player. With driver controlled main guns on their tanks.

I don't think Planetside should be catering specifically towards solo play or team play. I think that team play should be rewarded more and have a lot of support (since it is inherently better for this type of game, yet harder to organize), but I like to see the solo player supported as well. Allowing for solo play makes it easier for new players to get into the game, and hopefully eventually become team players. It also allows for a nice change of pace. Wanna play PS2, but don't feel like getting to involved? Just hop on for a few minutes and blow some shit up solo. I've done this in the first game from time to time.

Anything that keeps populations high, as long as it doesn't actively thwart team work, is good in my book.

There was a ton of team work that still happened with 1 man aircav in PS1. PS2's tanks don't have me overly worried.

A lot of people have also brought up how difficult it may end up being to split ones attention between driving and gunning. Sounds like a reason to bring along an extra AV gunner to help out. There is often more to balance than just x damage vs x armor.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-01-11 at 04:55 PM.
Old 2012-01-11, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I remember playing the original Call of Duty back in 2003, multi-player. With driver controlled main guns on their tanks.

I don't think Planetside should be catering specifically towards solo play or team play. I think that team play should be rewarded more and have a lot of support (since it is inherently better for this type of game, yet harder to organize), but I like to see the solo player supported as well. Allowing for solo play makes it easier for new players to get into the game, and hopefully eventually become team players. It also allows for a nice change of pace. Wanna play PS2, but don't feel like getting to involved? Just hop on for a few minutes and blow some shit up solo. I've done this in the first game from time to time.

Anything that keeps populations high, as long as it doesn't actively thwart team work, is good in my book.

There was a ton of team work that still happened with 1 man aircav in PS1. PS2's tanks don't have me overly worried.

A lot of people have also brought up how difficult it may end up being to split ones attention between driving and gunning. Sounds like a reason to bring along an extra AV gunner to help out. There is often more to balance than just x damage vs x armor.

Yea...its still working as as team if you have muiple tanks, you dont have to be in the same vehcile for there to be teamwork...it seems people dont get this.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-01-11, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Yea...its still working as as team if you have muiple tanks, you dont have to be in the same vehcile for there to be teamwork...it seems people dont get this.
What I'm wonder is; since there will still be a Lightning, and the Liberator is now more of a gunship than a bomber, will we be seeing a lot of solo liberators flying around instead of ES fighters? Nobody seems to be talking about that one.
Old 2012-01-11, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
What I'm wonder is; since there will still be a Lightning, and the Liberator is now more of a gunship than a bomber, will we be seeing a lot of solo liberators flying around instead of ES fighters? Nobody seems to be talking about that one.
umm they have said the lighting is still coming.

i beleive they also said that the ES fights will serve the roll of bombers, much like an A10 i beleive(WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED!!!) bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Liberators may form as a platform for sky defense, aswell as ground bombardment like an AC130 or galaxy gunship. with the galaxy been a mobile transport, libs could be heavly armed with air-air missle - ground to-air and 35mm, im gonna mess your face up guns. or it could be armed with dumbfire missles, good for killing galaxys, along with acting as an ECM platform.

maybe equiped with bombs too?

but im sure they said ES fights will get the bombs.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-01-11, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
acosmo
Sergeant Major

my point is you can still have teamwork in single person tanks, but then what makes a tank different than being on foot? you're still in control of it all and responsible for it all. with driver gunner tanks the only difference between being on foot or in an mbt is stats. more armor, weapons and speed and less mobility.

previously, you would have all of that but it wouldn't just be you and yourself alone in your tank, you could talk to your gunner and your gunner could talk to you (less lonely and boring). improving and executing efficient driver/gunner communication was a big part of the fun in employing heavy armor weapons platforms.
Old 2012-01-11, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
my point is you can still have teamwork in single person tanks, but then what makes a tank different than being on foot? you're still in control of it all and responsible for it all. with driver gunner tanks the only difference between being on foot or in an mbt is stats. more armor, weapons and speed and less mobility.

previously, you would have all of that but it wouldn't just be you and yourself alone in your tank, you could talk to your gunner and your gunner could talk to you (less lonely and boring). improving and executing efficient driver/gunner communication was a big part of the fun in employing heavy armor weapons platforms.
You raise a good point, but the answer to that is the same as it was in Planetside 1...terrain. If there was a big open flat area, sure you could run out there as infantry, but your survival rate is alot lower than it would be if you were running through the trees. Likewise, tanks can't manuever well if at all in tight terrain so they are at a disadvantage.

Personally, I'd much rather have the outdoors be tankside and airside as opposed to a foot zerg that we see all too often. From what little we've seen of the maps and terrain, there are sure to be many places that shift the advantage to an AV trooper over a tank.

Old 2012-01-11, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
you dont have to be in the same vehcile for there to be teamwork...it seems people dont get this.
I think they do get it. The concern is that it is a different kind of teamwork and tank crews loved PS1 tank-play. As a driver, I cared for my gunners and it was a hell lot of fun when they were gunning for me.

I'll skip over the whole argument since it's been beaten to death but let's just see how things will be in PS2 beta/release and then see if things are broken or if it's still as immersive.

My main fear is that the whole ordeal will become a balance nightmare and failure after failure trying to balance things out betweens different arms, the game will end up with tanks serving as fodder targets for Aircav and engineers. Or pidgeonholed to some occasional role (i.e. throw-away-after-use tanks).

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Personally, I'd much rather have the outdoors be tankside and airside as opposed to a foot zerg that we see all too often.
I'd rather see combined arms. Tanks/Air along with infantry to hold the ground. We'll have to see how the jammer/AV mechanics work in PS2 for infantry since it will affect wether they will have a chance of survival or not.

Of course, the way they implement transport vehicles will also affect wether ground vehicles/troops are even needed or not.

If Aircav is the counter to air-transport and Aircav is the counter to ground vehicles, it will be all about A2A in order to move between bases.

Anyways, the devs must have hopefully debated about this. I'm waiting for beta.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-01-11 at 06:38 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion