PS2 VS looking like Halo Covenant? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Spread the love!!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-11, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Magpie
Sergeant Major

PS2 VS looking like Halo Covenant?

Just looking at the new VS gear on PS2, and the Magrider and Scythe looking close to the Covenant Wraith/Ghost/Banshee?

Just saying no need to go mad
Old 2012-01-11, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Re: PS2 VS looking like Halo Covenant?

I hear you, Magpie. And sure, I don't think you're insulting anyone. I love the VS; they look amazing. But yeah, I guess I can see some similarity in the design. Both the VS and the Covenant have that ridged, scalloped look with overlapping triangular plates. It certainly doesn't look SO similar that I saw it and thought, "Psh, well this is obviously a Halo ripoff," but sure, they share some common features :-)

~Zachariah
Old 2012-01-11, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Yeeaahah, looks TOTALLY SIMILAR!

Get a clue...
Old 2012-01-11, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Meh.

The Scythe looks like a Cylon fighter, and Terran heavy assault armor kinda reminds me of Fallout's Brotherhood of Steel armor .

So yeah... We'll always find similarities everywhere.
It's getting difficult to make totally new things.

Last edited by Sabrak; 2012-01-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 2012-01-11, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Not saying look the same but they have same style.
Hovers,purple,shape style
Old 2012-01-11, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

So, anything that either: hovers , is purple , or has a sleek design is obvious Halo?

Gotta say, I am not really seeing it.

In fact to me, the Mag looks WAY more like the alien fighters from Independence Day than a Covenant vehicle.
Old 2012-01-11, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

fuck this game its a Halo clone from head to toe i wonder when people will stop copying Halo and cod also X360>PC!!!11! your all gay.

*trollface*

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-01-11 at 08:46 AM.
Old 2012-01-11, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
WarrantOfficer
Private

Personally when I began to read the thread I thought to myself "Oh, another troll." However upon further investigation it seems you're serious; This is quite disturbing since it is common knowledge in the gaming community that a good deal of "modern" video game artistry styles originate from Warhammer 40,000.

Power armour and other common shooter themes gained popularity in the 1980's because of warhammer 40,000. If you're accusing PS2 of stealing Halo's art style, you're essentially accusing the thief of the thief of the thief here.

This has been going on for a long time and not much has really been done about it.
Old 2012-01-11, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
atone
Sergeant

its seems that for most purple+alientech= halo. Wonder if ppl would feel the same if they weren't purple.

The design trends that are employed here have been in use way before halo. For some reason humans imagine(d) aliens liking smooth curves with pointy bits thrown in here and there. A lot of the more popular designs are actually based on insects, i.e. beetles and such, (However the trending now is toward more rough, or "boney" kinds of designs) and as said before Vanu and the other faction designs are based on the original planetside. Which came out around the time of halo. So its not hard to believe there are some similarities?

EDIT: posted this the same time others. Seems like everyone has the same gripe. mag you stirred up a bees nest

Last edited by atone; 2012-01-11 at 09:02 AM.
Old 2012-01-11, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Magpie
Sergeant Major

I'm not saying It's a halo clone or PS team have stolen design but just commenting on it, but I could just see a NC guy on top of a Magrider with a jammer!

Last edited by Magpie; 2012-01-11 at 09:33 AM.
Old 2012-01-11, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tasorin
Staff Sergeant

BattleTech - 1984
WarHammer 40k - 1987
Halo - 2001
PlanetSide - 2003

Get the point yet?
Old 2012-01-11, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Shogun
Contributor
General

halo is the real thief! the masterthief char is a copycat of the doom marine.

there will always be similaritys is scifi games/films. the devs explained already why they have chosen the faction colors and since no normal thinking person would choose purple, the alienlovers got it.
the vs are technically advanced, and how many ways are there to show this, other than letting their tanks hover and shoot laser?
sure, there has been games with hovering alien tech in purple, but shit happens ;-)

and i liked the halo look, so there is nothing wrong in reusing working elements of existing scifi in new scifi. it´s common in the genre. by the way, look at the non scifi games! they look all the same, too! just because the war they refer to looked that way.

the important thing is, that ps2 plays very very different than any halo COD or other fps out there. it´s simply not comparable. other games are like watching tv while planetside is more like a real paintball match in comparison.

leaning the alien design a little towards halo was the second best the devs could do! i could just imagine one style that would have rocked more... but i guess this would have been very expensive and coloring it purple would be blasphemic... the only better vs design would have been designed by h.r.giger ;-)

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-01-11 at 11:17 AM.
Old 2012-01-11, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Guys, relax. He's not saying that they're identical, or that anyone stole anything from anyone; or that this is even a bad thing. He's simply stating that they look similar, which is very true. Stop taking everything as an insult.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-01-11, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Not seeing a resemblance other then color
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-01-11, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Elude
First Sergeant

Yes they do look similar, but they've always looked similar since the original Planetside 1 cover. Sleak with energy weapons, they're purple, have hover vehicles, and they're both highly religious to another race.

I think the covenant look a lot like the protoss from starcraft, except purple instead of yellow. They even have similar body structures to the elite and have energy blades, they're also highly religious to another race!

Last edited by Elude; 2012-01-11 at 11:48 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion