Better Stealther Gameplay - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait stop! Dont shoot, let me read my private message.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 3.45 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-02-15, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
nomotog
Sergeant

Re: Better Stealther Gameplay

Do infiltrators need a defensive role? Well snipers I guess.

Another thing about counter cloaking is the joy of killing infiltrators should be given to the people who would most appreciate it. It's really nice when you track down and kill that sneaky sneak. I don't think that infiltrators would appreciate it as much as a engineer or the other class. Hope that makes sense.

As a whole, I hope the infiltrator has a lot of tools to cause chaos and disorder. Maybe they could get remote controlled version of all the normal grenades. I can picture it being fun to stick a EMP grenade under the med station and just waiting for someone to walk up to it.
Old 2012-03-06, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
How long did you play a cloaker for and how many times did this happen? How many times did you try the same thing only to have someone flick darklight on, see you, and kill you? We all have our "coolest moment" stories, and y'know, they probably are about the times we weren't just killing people. Doesn't seem like a coincidence to me. What I'm proposing is for cloakers to be encouraged to play the sneaky not-randomly-killing-guys role in PS2. I want cool moments where you sneak past some guys and accomplish some objective to be the mainstay of playing a cloaker, not the rare exception.

So if it's the more objective-focused kind of cloaker you enjoy the most, I can't see why you'd want to write seemingly against the propositions I've put forward. That's what I want too, and while I'm hardly married to any of the stuff in my original post, in principle I think that's what the kind of stuff I've suggested would allow for. Less random deaths, more emphasis on being stealthy, more objectives to accomplish while being stealthy.
I cloaked almost exclusively for more than 8 years; and only in the last few months have branched out... I had many such moments; and found little difficultly in finding/completing objectives which greatly aided my empire, and which required me to kill no one.
Old 2012-04-09, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

my best memories r asasinations.

pistols. i loved running around with pistols. u had darklight i liked killing you. and i like stalking just one guy. all over the continent. finding new ways to kill the guy. watch him land and a boomer went in that cockpit. 2 hours 15 mins for one kill. hack a base just to get that one guy that shows up.

its not all JUST killing. its about the killing its about the kill. that intimate kill. where dozens of his buddies are all around tanks bombers waves of guys on the ridge. but one NC warrior isnt in that battle. hes in a diffrent fight, for his life as the war wages all around.
his field of thought is only 20 meters from somewhere just to his left... or was it. no there to the right. to late u missed, reload.

did anyone notice the kill in their midst , if so i have my next target, no time to rest. or can i wait, hide, watch for the next time SirNoobster420 decides to come up the left side towards the tower again? is my tank about to lose? guess ill jamer the vanguard so my guys get the last shot. ...no one will ever know the hard work i do. and there is SirNoobster420 a commander. if u watch u can tell some of the NC is spawning on him. he is a priority target.

its the power i have over you when i take you when you think your safe and make you feel vulnerable make you wish you never left the republic. broken cog , wont turn for the machine. time to recycle you.

3 clips to kill a guy didnt bug me, made it so much more satisfying. taking on 5 guys in a tower alone and winning just because i moved so unorthidox. and used their own equipment against them when i ran out of ammunition.

i think they are just fine. give me a few toys for the ones i dont have anymore and i will make it work. i will make them pay , each and every one for turning there backs on the republic.

and sure i die, dont we all? thats what we do here son!
feed the grinder.

The Machine Rages!
Old 2012-04-10, 06:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Terrence M
Private

I love playing the stealthy infiltrator (and assassin etc) so I support making it easier to progress through the class in PS2 than it currently does in PS.

I don't like the idea of decloaking when attacking. I think that the way it works now in PS1 works well. I suppose it could be tweaked a little. As it stands, in PS1 someone eventually figures out where you are anyway.

[edit: grammar]

Last edited by Terrence M; 2012-04-10 at 06:41 AM.
Old 2012-04-12, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

When class utility and gameplay is judged by K/D stats, it's all about frags and no more about roles.
Old 2012-04-12, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Hypevosa
Sergeant

I think only other infiltrators should have effective countermeasures to detect infiltrators who are fully cloaked.
Old 2012-04-12, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
moosepoop
Captain

how about a stealth tank?
:o
Old 2012-04-15, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
how about a stealth tank?
:o
How about a stealth nuclear missile with wheels on it and a repurposed lawn mower engine which you can ride like a horse into the enemy base. All they will hear is the high-pitched whine of the lawn mower engine as you are slowly but surely creeping up on your target, spreading fear and chaos.

More to the point, I hope they do stealth-gameplay well. I think the most pleased I've been with their statements about stealthing is when they said that you'll be a gadgeteer.

Last edited by Bazilx; 2012-04-15 at 12:15 AM.
Old 2012-04-15, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
BNuts
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
How about a stealth nuclear missile with wheels on it and a repurposed lawn mower engine which you can ride like a horse into the enemy base. All they will hear is the high-pitched whine of the lawn mower engine as you are slowly but surely creeping up on your target, spreading fear and chaos.

More to the point, I hope they do stealth-gameplay well. I think the most pleased I've been with their statements about stealthing is when they said that you'll be a gadgeteer.
Lawn mover engine is way overpowered. As soon as we get in it beta, Dev's will nerf it and maybe give it a Weed-wacker engine or hand-crank.
Old 2012-04-18, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

From what I understand, cloakers will be like they are in the first game, unless they are carrying a sniper rifle.

If this isn't the case then things need to change so they ARE that way. I don't know if Darklight would be an implant, but I'm confident that a cloaker detection system is already in place, or working its way into PS2.

I absolutely LOVE the feel of sneaking into an enemy infested base, knowing if just ONE person flicks on DL or suspects they are being watched, it's all over for you. The suspense of that is what I love playing infiltration. I love wreaking havoc on a base from the inside out, and although it's not the same now in PS1 as it was near the start with so many noobs running around to kill... I still couldn't picture PS2 without a recon style cloaking system.

I just hope PS2 cloakers can use boomers and specialize in better stealthing techniques.
Old 2012-04-19, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by DDSHADE View Post
I absolutely LOVE the feel of sneaking into an enemy infested base, knowing if just ONE person flicks on DL or suspects they are being watched, it's all over for you. The suspense of that is what I love playing infiltration. I love wreaking havoc on a base from the inside out, and although it's not the same now in PS1 as it was near the start with so many noobs running around to kill... I still couldn't picture PS2 without a recon style cloaking system.
Me too, except having your gameplay halted over sheer luck based on people either flicking darklight randomly at that moment or not is a lame system. I don't like gameplay being entirely dependent on randomness. Suspense is good, but the suspense should involve you taking calculated risks in the process of pursuing some objective. The suspense of whether you'll roll snake eyes or not wears out fairly quickly in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Hypevosa View Post
I think only other infiltrators should have effective countermeasures to detect infiltrators who are fully cloaked.
That's only reasonable if the point of infiltrators is not just to compete with heavy assault for kills. As they're toying with the idea of giving them shotguns, they've clearly decided infiltrators are about killing and not infiltrating, so other classes will need a reliable way of detecting and combating them (as presumably being shot in the face with a shotgun will be fairly dangerous).
Old 2012-04-20, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Hypevosa
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
That's only reasonable if the point of infiltrators is not just to compete with heavy assault for kills. As they're toying with the idea of giving them shotguns, they've clearly decided infiltrators are about killing and not infiltrating, so other classes will need a reliable way of detecting and combating them (as presumably being shot in the face with a shotgun will be fairly dangerous).
What's the point of being invisible if every single other class can hit a key to see you? As soon as you kill someone in a base, people know you're there anyways, meaning you're a simple button press away from being lit up by potentially dozens of people. At least if it's another infiltrator it's a battle on more equal footing than going up against people with heavy weapons you're not even allowed to use.

It also gives incentive to actually have infiltrators in a squad.
Old 2012-04-20, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Zekeen
Major

I think the biggest point people fail to notice on infiltrators is that it's fun to fight them, and would be more so if they were more stealthy. It's like a game of "where's waldo" but with guns. I swear, half of PS1 vets have developed ESP and can detect cloakers just being near them. The idea of an infiltrator being capable of disabling more base functions and being more sneaky could promote players to begin to defend and patrol a base. I always enjoyed having to give chase to an infiltrator I saw ghost past me and trying to find him before he could escape and hack the base.

The more an infiltrator can have fun with, the more a grunt can have fun in stopping him. It really should be expanded upon.
Old 2012-04-20, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I think PS1 cloaking wasn't too bad. I had runs as a cloaker outdoors where I killed 6 people in one life, and then sometimes I went 6 tries without getting a kill.

My point, you could be effective if you had patience. I agree though Darklight was lame, and was very luck based. Maybe having something that works like Darklight but instead of seeing the cloakers in the 3D space it just revealed them on your minimap temporarily which could give you intel on their location but not paint a target for you to shoot at.

You have to remember as much as you can argue that Darklight and other things make it suck for cloakers, not having ANY way to detect cloakers makes it suck for everyone else. The point is making a system that keeps a fair skill and awareness balance.

I think hacking and disabling and non combat roles really feel at home for a cloaker and I would like to see elements of gameplay that are only able to be completed by an infiltrator. In my eyes taking a base should require every class to be involved. I support all ideas to give infiltrators non combat roles.
Old 2012-04-20, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post

All the while screaming, "I live for you!"

And, yes, the gadgeteer part quelled some of my agonizing about engie/stealth classes being segregated. Looking forward to what comes out of this.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault