Performance fps , will the devs address this once and for all for launch ? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We do enjoy our work
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-21, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Performance fps , will the devs address this once and for all for launch ?

My current setup:
Processor: AMD FX-4100 OC to 4.0ghz
Mobo: ASrock Extreme 3 AM3
Memory: 8 gig of gskill 1600
Graphics card: EVGA geforce 580 GTX 1.5gb

I posted this because with my current setup right now I am getting 60+ when wondering around out in the open world with minor skirmishes but when I reach the big fights I drop down to 25 to 35 FPS which is depressing. Now from what I have read people have said that they have yet to optimize AMD's? is this true?

I have a outfit mate that is also running with pretty much a identical setup but with the amd FX 8150 and 2 580s that get the same FPS as me if not worse sometimes.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-10-21 at 09:39 AM.
Old 2012-10-21, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

Re: Performance fps, will the devs address this once and for all for launch ?

I have a spec way older than yours, Hmr85, and it mostly runs ok. The problem is not what hardware you have now - it's that the studio have only done a graphics optimisation on the "High" setting, and unless you run it at that level for the time being, the game will grind its gears a lot more if you choose "Medium" or "Low".

Another factor is that servers don't increase efficiency based on how populated an area is, instead spreading the latency across entire continents. This means that a substantial amount of bandwidth is being sacrificed in areas of a continent that don't actually need it, so when you have 50+ people in a small zone battling it out, there is no bandwidth optimisations to make graphics run more smoothly.

Sadly with NVIDIA's forums still down due to their ignorance towards user security (like most of the world), you can't even take up the matter with them, which may be a GPU issue.

Old 2012-10-21, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
blbeta
Corporal

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Goku has responded I see so this might have been said already.

Everytime. Okay, let me stress this... Everytime. ... Hey.. EVERYTIME. (not 49 out of 50) E V E R Y T I M E there is ANY patch, be it 119k or 12k or 2 gigs. ALWAYS make sure to delete your useroptions.ini and ww_crashuploader.exe files. If you don't you will lose 30-50 fps.
I don't know if they changed something or that actually worked, but it seems "smoother" now. Could just be suggestion, but my FPS on High with shadows and flora low is 25-30.

So I switched to medium preset with those two on low again and everything seems better. We'll see.

EDIT: Still not smooth in close combat even with only me and a couple other opposite faction.

Last edited by blbeta; 2012-10-21 at 09:19 PM.
Old 2012-10-22, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant

No love for people with 5 year old processors

Getting 5 fps in large battles with my Core2 Quad
Old 2012-10-22, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
blbeta
Corporal

Originally Posted by TheBladeRoden View Post
No love for people with 5 year old processors

Getting 5 fps in large battles with my Core2 Quad
Here is hoping "optimizations" are good. While I don't have a high end machine, if I can't get a playable FPS even on low with my i5-2400 I have no idea what many are gonna do.

I can get good FPS on all settings if I am flying around by myself, but it isn't smooth for me no matter the settings once I am in a fight around buildings.
Old 2012-10-22, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

There is no doubt the game still needs optimization but consider the fact there is 2000 people running around and 100-200 may be on your screen. It's going to take CPU power.

Now that said. We can kiss "Planetside day" goodbye, No machine on this planet is going to handle 2000 players in one location in a game like this; It's just not going to happen. This is not your average MMO (and none of THOSE average mmorpg's have 2000 people around at once) so let's let them do their job and make this game and see what happens. After all these years, one month isn't gonna be that big of a deal.
I don't believe in the 2000. They said that this is the goal but I guess we can assume they only achieved half of that or less. If they achieved 2000 players on 1 continent they would have made a partytweet or something about it, but they never have and they are absolutely silent about playernumbers. Plus I have not seen bigger fights than in PS1. Not once.

Btw, there are several games that don't have too much of a problem to let you fight 1-200 opponents, Mount and Blade does it, even Just Cause 2 has a Mod (!!) that lets you play with 1500 guys... (search it on youtube) so I'm not too impressed by the performance here.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2012-10-22 at 12:49 PM.
Old 2012-10-22, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
ChronixPsyc
Private

I've got an Alienware M17x R2 with 8GB RAM, 5870 1GB, iy 740QM and this game runs like a dog and I don't really understand why. In a few months, I'll be upgrading my 5870 to a 7970m or something equivalent, but atm, its too expensive to get it (£413 on ebay + £91 shipping).

Is this just because the game is still in testing or will it run like this all the time?
Old 2012-10-22, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

Goku has responded I see so this might have been said already.

Everytime. Okay, let me stress this... Everytime. ... Hey.. EVERYTIME. (not 49 out of 50) E V E R Y T I M E there is ANY patch, be it 119k or 12k or 2 gigs. ALWAYS make sure to delete your useroptions.ini and ww_crashuploader.exe files. If you don't you will lose 30-50 fps.
I appreciate that advice but, to be honest, we shouldn't really have to do that ourselves! The program should do it automatically.

In the end the issue is server-side, not client-side. Like most games during a beta, unless GPU companies actually release a performance update to their drivers, but ultimately some bugs take longer to iron out than others. Some bugs are even a failure of technology, which can take over a year to overhaul.

There is also the fact that not every ISP, or residential area in which a game is played, is the same everywhere else. This can be due to environmental factors where DSL or Fiber simply can't be put in. As it stands, this is unlikely to ever change.

Last edited by Hyncharas; 2012-10-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 2012-10-23, 01:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Vanu Playa
Private

Just reading all your responses and have to say that I too am a little depressed about the performance of the game. I originally had an Athlon X3, to which I added an NVIDIA GTX560TI video card and got 8GB of RAM just for this game. After a week of putting up with poor performance I did the cheap thing and went for an Athlon X4 processor, one more core and 500MHZ more clock speed, thinking it would make a difference, and it did! Well till after a few patches. Currently it is running decent, but not great. I did all the tricks I found online, deleted the user.ini file, then played around with the graphics settings till I was able to pull 15-20 FPS during battles. I still, however, see frame rates as low as 5FPS, which is unacceptable in my book. I know I don't have the most cutting edge machine, but how many average gamers do? In my eyes, a quad core processor and a good video and plenty of RAM, all if which I have should! Let's just hope the next patch fixes these issues, otherwise it will be a near death blow to this game. For all those who played the first planetside, it too had the same problems. I originally had an Athlon XP1600 and a whopping 2GB of RAM running on Windows 98 back in the day, after spending some cash, and upgrading my system, it finally played decent. Boy that takes me back!

Last edited by Vanu Playa; 2012-10-23 at 01:10 AM.
Old 2012-10-23, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
bullet
First Sergeant

I hope they address the performance issues or readjust the Min/Rec specs because what I'm running right now is pretty much in between the Min/Rec. I can get some decent FPS, when I'm by myself in a field. In a large battle, its 5-20 FPS depending on the number of people. This is with everything on low , except Graphics because on low Infils are completely invisible, render set to about 80%. I'm not sure if they fixed the infil thing yet, but the Low or Med setting on Graphics doesn't make a huge difference in FPS.

Phenom II X4 965
HD 5770
4GB

I'm holding off on upgrading until they decide what they want to do. I know I need to though.

Last edited by bullet; 2012-10-23 at 01:32 AM.
Old 2012-10-23, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Illtempered
First Sergeant

I'm impressed with the optimization thus-far. When I first played, the game made my HP notebook shutdown due to heat. I know I know, the game's not for notebooks, but it was all I had at the moment. I'm buying a new rig, partly to play Planetside!

Now I can play without shutdowns, and even get decent FPS, all things considering. I can't wait to try it on the new beastly machine I'm buying.
Old 2012-10-23, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Ghost Runner
Staff Sergeant

Hmm well I'm using an older i7 950 no Ocing with 6 gigs of ram and a GTX 570 I never see anything below playable except in the Warp gate upon logging in give it 10 seconds and it clears up for me My other rig is a phenom X6 3.0ghz running with a 9800GTX and runs very well on that most of the time also 6 gigs of ram both on windows 7 64

Only thing I can think of is the AMD is running only at 1280x1024 which is why it might not be having problems like the other AMD users.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion