How the heck did SOE achieve such faction loyalty? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Use the woman and children as rafts!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-23, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Vamoozi
Private

How the heck did SOE achieve such faction loyalty?

As i haven't played the first planetside, I really don't understand how people that played it became so much loyal, defensive, biased (not telling this is a bad thing) To their faction.

I mean, I like NC the most, but see the other two factions have their appeal aswell, but some PS1 vet sees it diffrently, he sees his faction as a godlike empire, and the other two factions worms barely worth living.

how

HOW?

I mean, I played WoW and SWTOR and I didnt give a single damn wich faction I'm on at the moment, but i feel I will become like the PS1 vets overtime, biased to my faction.
Old 2012-06-23, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: How the heck did SOE achieve such faction loyalty?

9 years of neverending war...

scars even the toughest guys!

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-23, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

I'm a vet with no faction loyalty. I've got a 28/24TR, 24/22 NC, 23/22VS. I don't get all the people hating each other on here just for playing a diff faction.

My friends and I just played whatever tickled our fancy at the time.
Old 2012-06-23, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Vamoozi
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I'm a vet with no faction loyalty. I've got a 28/24TR, 24/22 NC, 23/22VS. I don't get all the people hating each other on here just for playing a diff faction.

My friends and I just played whatever tickled our fancy at the time.

What does it mean?
Old 2012-06-23, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

28/24 TR = BR 28 and BR 24 TR. Two different characters at different battle ranks.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ParanoiaComplex
Private

The reason for this is because faction loyalty is in the spirit of the game. You stay with one team and experience teamwork, friendship, and cooperation with them. When you constantly get killed and watch *your* territories being taken by other factions, you begin to dislike them and it's easier to join in with the almost festive bias.

It really adds to the uniqueness of the community. You can experience the same thing with any other game that has large faction based PVP, One example would be Rift.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Toppopia
Major

Most games could promote faction loyalty, like BF3, if i could choose to be one faction all the time, then i would choose Russia because some of their weapons were better. But because this game has such big differences between the factions, each faction sucks in the people that like that play style, or that persons believes. etc etc.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Most games could promote faction loyalty, like BF3, if i could choose to be one faction all the time, then i would choose Russia because some of their weapons were better. But because this game has such big differences between the factions, each faction sucks in the people that like that play style, or that persons believes. etc etc.
i laughed when you said most of their weapons are better. They are shite, in game and real life.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
zomg
Staff Sergeant

It is indeed interesting how the faction loyalty is so deep.

On the other hand, it's pretty annoying to read threads when half of the posts are just some stupid faction trolling, even if it's occasionally funny.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

It because you pick one and that character is locked into a faction. When you play, you get to know the other people on your faction as its always the same general group of people you're allied with. Your enemies are also often the same enemies you've fought before, building rivalry. The persistence of the game also encourages this. You take a base for your empire until someone takes it away from you. It all ends up creating an environment that breed rivalry.

You might fall into this, you might be one of the few that don't. You may play one, move, and find that another makes you truly feel at home (happened to me). Overall, its just a ton of fun to take a side and bash the other 2. The vast majority of it is playful anyways.

P.S. TR FOR LIFE!!!!
Old 2012-06-23, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Another big thing was that you were fighting for territory, not just for points or something in a ranked match. The individuality aspect of it was reduced. You and your EMPIRE were fighting together over huge swathes of land that could actually be captured and influenced, enhancing the team play aspect of it all. If the faction happened to be your play style too, it just layered right on top of it. Epic 9 years of war over huge continents with EMPIRES, not instanced squads, is what has built such faction loyalty.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Vamoozi View Post
As i haven't played the first planetside, I really don't understand how people that played it became so much loyal, defensive, biased (not telling this is a bad thing) To their faction.

I mean, I like NC the most, but see the other two factions have their appeal aswell, but some PS1 vet sees it diffrently, he sees his faction as a godlike empire, and the other two factions worms barely worth living.

how

HOW?

I mean, I played WoW and SWTOR and I didnt give a single damn wich faction I'm on at the moment, but i feel I will become like the PS1 vets overtime, biased to my faction.
They just exploited something that is hardwired in our brains and transmitted by our genes... people are tribal, they tend to divide and choose sides... and dislike those who aren't on their side. It's the basic survival mechanism in situation of overpopulation or lack of resources and thus is important part of our very nature.

I haven't played those games but I presume they have guild based loyalties that's why switching a side is not a big problem if your guild switches. In PS people are organized in Outfits to be more effective but their loyalty lies in their Empire's colors since you don't fight for your guild but for your Empire unlike in other games where only your guild members are rewarded for your success in doing something.

Also unlike those games they haven't made a distinct classical black/white (good/bad) faction division.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-23 at 05:16 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

When you are on the recieving end of the original quadshot in all its glory,or spawn to face 3 scattermaxes and another quadshot in a tower in the middle of nowhere. Or mown down by a magrider 20 feet away from you, or facing so many quasar maxes you think vs must come with them as a starter implant, hatred is instilled into you from the first few seconds and never leaves.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Radaeron
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
It because you pick one and that character is locked into a faction. When you play, you get to know the other people on your faction as its always the same general group of people you're allied with. Your enemies are also often the same enemies you've fought before, building rivalry. The persistence of the game also encourages this. You take a base for your empire until someone takes it away from you. It all ends up creating an environment that breed rivalry.

You might fall into this, you might be one of the few that don't. You may play one, move, and find that another makes you truly feel at home (happened to me). Overall, its just a ton of fun to take a side and bash the other 2. The vast majority of it is playful anyways.

P.S. TR FOR LIFE!!!!

Pretty much this. I'll only play the one faction most likely, as I ever did. While there are some bad eggs, most of the rivalry is all in good fun

I think it adds to the experience.

Moreso when you get attached to a particular base
Old 2012-06-23, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Radaeron View Post
Pretty much this. I'll only play the one faction most likely, as I ever did. While there are some bad eggs, most of the rivalry is all in good fun

I think it adds to the experience.

Moreso when you get attached to a particular base
Ya. You do also build attachments to areas. One I always hear is Ixtab, Hossin. Mine, oddly, Faro, Cyssor. Site of my first full on major battle.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions