Why Game Informer Pisses me off on their rant of PS - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is the upper right hand corner of the page.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2004-01-04, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Why Game Informer Pisses me off on their rant of PS

It got listed as their #9 on their Top 10 Dissapointments of 2003

Originally Posted by GameInformer
This massively multiplayer game started off like a rocket, offering intense battles with literally hundreds of people blasting each other to hell and back. Then came patches that gradually degraded the experience into the lump of coal it is now. An atrocious expansion pack guaranteed that no one was going to pay a monthly fee for this.
Any Opinions? Mine would boil down to a rant that no one wants to hear.
Old 2004-01-04, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
VashTheStamped
Major

Misc Info

that was cruel but oh well. im too tired to read. /yawn
Old 2004-01-04, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Any negative review of PlanetSide is highly suspect of being sponsored by rival game developers.

Without doubt or question, PlanetSide is the most technologically advanced MMO game on the common market. It launched light-years ahead of games like Anarchy Online and Star Wars: Galaxies, even though it was a much more ambitious coding project.

Core Combat was a mistake. Poor decisions by executives shouldn't cast a shadow on the achievements of the developers. Hopefully, with time, Core Combat will be vindicated. It should have been offered as a monthly content patch, but short-sighted ambition confounded it.

As for being a "lump of coal", I think someone was confusing their recent holiday gifts with their review.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-01-04, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Core Combat was a mistake and hopefully it will be offered for free as a monthly download or comes free with retail. FFXI did it with this "Rise of Zillart" Expansion so why not Planetside. Core Combat has had probably 20 people at most in the caves. And from my experiences the Gameplay changes havent effected the Gameflow of PS. Most ive expirenced a flail parking right infront of your ass and spamming a tower door, and killing everyone inside. Is the biggest change in gameplay ive seen.
Old 2004-01-05, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

They better not offer CC for free, i paid good money for the bitch.

Old 2004-01-05, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

More people would use it if it was free, then you would get better use out of that 30 bucks. Core Combat isnt really worth 30 bucks as it is; I think everyone agrees with me about that
Old 2004-01-05, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Brigadier General

Misc Info

They aren't nice.
Old 2004-01-05, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Core Combat has had probably 20 people at most in the caves.
Nice, but no, I'm sorry, you're talking out of your ass. There were large numbers of people in the caverns at first. It dwindled as people got used to the new content and modules were constantly maxed out but there were still usually many more than 20 people in the caverns during prime time on any given night. It's been awhile since I logged on last so it could very well have dwindled even more I suppose but either way there have been far more than 20 people in the caverns.
More people would use it if it was free, then you would get better use out of that 30 bucks. Core Combat isnt really worth 30 bucks as it is; I think everyone agrees with me about that
I agree that it should have been a free download but that's not SoEs policy and never has been so I really didn't expect it. As far as everyone agreeing with you you'd be suprised

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2004-01-05, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Indecisive
Major General

Originally Posted by GameInformer
This massively multiplayer game started off like a rocket, offering intense battles with literally hundreds of people blasting each other to hell and back. Then came patches that gradually degraded the experience into the lump of coal it is now. An atrocious expansion pack guaranteed that no one was going to pay a monthly fee for this.
As greenhorn or whatever it is voice pack:

Dead on!
Old 2004-01-05, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Biohazzard56
I firmly believe that giving away core combat for free will not get more people in the caverns, they just are not fun to play in, because after an hour it closes out and there goes all your hard work. They aughta rework core combat, one cavern, open 24/7 with two links per continent, so in essence another continent. Then it whould work

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2004-01-05, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Planetside is the best MMO on the market and by far the best shooter currently out there. I used to be really excited about Tribes Vengance coming out one day. Now I really dont care. HL2 and Doom3 will be great, but I dont consider those online games, maybe to screw with but certainly not to play seriously. After insane 300 man battles with armor collums and so many vehicles in the air it looks like a dust storm... There aint any going back to the old ways now
Old 2004-01-05, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Seer
Major

Originally Posted by Queensidecastle
After insane 300 man battles with armor collums and so many vehicles in the air it looks like a dust storm... There aint any going back to the old ways now
That's one statement I can agree with. For all its flaws, PS has opened a door I can't go back through.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2004-01-05, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
SporkfirePS
PlanetSide Alumni

Then came patches that gradually degraded the experience into the lump of coal it is now.
They can say what they will about Core Combat, but this is the part that irritates me. I'd really like the gaming press to quantify statements like that. If anything, the patches have generally made the game far more than it was at release. Realizing that there have been some less than stellar patches, I believe that we have maintained and updated the game quite well compared to our competition.
Old 2004-01-05, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ZjinPS
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by 1024
They better not offer CC for free, i paid good money for the bitch.

Then they should just give everyone who has CC 3 a 3 month credit.
Old 2004-01-05, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Cryptica
First Sergeant

Queensidecastle, I agree with you wholeheartedly. There's nothing more fun, IMO, then seeing two empires duke it out with over a hundred players on each team. Vanguards (or Magriders, or Prowlers) rolling out and launching cannons out over their teammates, Reavers and Liberators screaming in the sky above you, everyone shouting orders so loudly in your ear that all you can hear is one loud hum of noise. Nothing beats it!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion