HOW IS THERE NO THREAD ON D3's RELEASE DATE? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: And now, Terrans jumping on trampolines!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-13, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Rubius
Private

Re: HOW IS THERE NO THREAD ON D3's RELEASE DATE?

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Yes. Why wouldn't it? You could ask the same for driving games, first-person shooters or platform games.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but consider that the driving, FPS, and platform genres have many, many games being made today, and their styles are still considered modern, and the status-quo... where as the "diablo genre" of point-and-click doesn't have much else going for it. (a few indie games come to mind).

So Diablo is the outlier here, and you can't use the same rhetoric as other modern games to judge it.

So this begs another question, if Diablo is as fun as other genres of games, why aren't more games like Diablo (top-down, point-and-click) being made today?

Last edited by Rubius; 2012-05-13 at 10:23 PM.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rubius View Post
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but consider that the driving, FPS, and platform genres have many, many games being made today, and their styles are still considered modern, and the status-quo... where as the "diablo genre" of point-and-click doesn't have much else going for it. (a few indie games come to mind).

So Diablo is the outlier here, and you can't use the same rhetoric as other modern games to judge it.

So this begs another question, if Diablo is as fun as other genres of games, why aren't more games like Diablo (top-down, point-and-click) being made today?
In order of release...

Sacred 2004
FATE 2005
Titan Quest 2006
Loki: Heroes of Mythology 2007
Legend: Hand of God 2007
Sacred 2 2009
Torchlight 2010
Path of Exile (in development)
Grim Dawn (in development)
Sacred 3 (in development)
Torchlight 2 (in development)

That's not including the Dungeon Siege games, which I thought were something else entirely, but apparently aren't.

Yes, there's less of them, but that could be for any number of reasons. Maybe they're harder to develop, maybe they take more time or more money, maybe they're harder to innovate with or maybe they're harder to code. Maybe big publishers don't like them for some reason.

I've used Legend of Grimrock as an example of under-utilized genre, now let me use MMOFPS. MMOFPS are under-explored, barely any exist and none of them have been wildly successful...Does that make it a bad genre? No. As Planetside fans we know the wall has been down to technology, but people who are less in the know might come to the conclusion that MMOFPS' are a bad genre. I simply don't know enough about the ARPG scene and the issues that present themselves when developing one, but considering how popular they still are (primarily D3, T2 and GD), I find it quite likely that the reason for their scarcity is something other than it being irrelevant/unfun/uninteresting.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-05-14 at 11:35 AM.
Old 2012-05-14, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Went and picked it up this morning...

eeee i've been psyching myself up listening to this crap, lol

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-05-14, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
CutterJohn
Colonel

I'm still not a fan of no offline mode and no mods, but other than that, should be good fun. Hopefully someone will eventually reverse engineer the server software.

Offline mode, just because I don't always have internet available, and sometimes I really enjoy hacking in crazy stuff. And mods speak for themselves.. There were some damned good D2 mods. After the way they embraced and supported modding for SC2, I'm amazed they didn't bother for D3.
Old 2012-05-15, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I'm still not a fan of no offline mode and no mods, but other than that, should be good fun. Hopefully someone will eventually reverse engineer the server software.

Offline mode, just because I don't always have internet available, and sometimes I really enjoy hacking in crazy stuff. And mods speak for themselves.. There were some damned good D2 mods. After the way they embraced and supported modding for SC2, I'm amazed they didn't bother for D3.
Somewhere Blizzard touted "D3 is the most moddable game ever! We just aren't going to let you, because of the online shop thing!"

Edit: oh here it is http://www.gamefront.com/blizzcon-20...nt-allow-mods/

Last edited by TheBladeRoden; 2012-05-15 at 10:37 PM.
Old 2012-05-16, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Vancha
Colonel

People are sitting in queues to the online server just so they can play single-player. The sheer ludicrousness of their always-on DRM has surpassed the expectations of even the most cynical now, I think.

Blizzard is dead.
Old 2012-05-16, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by TheBladeRoden View Post
Somewhere Blizzard touted "D3 is the most moddable game ever! We just aren't going to let you, because of the online shop thing!"

Edit: oh here it is http://www.gamefront.com/blizzcon-20...nt-allow-mods/
Wow, thats pretty sad. I'm enjoying the hell out of the game so far, but mod support would have had a far greater impact on longevity than an auction house will.

I could honestly give a shit less about a lack of dupes/exploits/etc. Frankly, their drop rates are ridiculously low anyway, geared towards people who play for years.
Old 2012-05-16, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

So, I haven't pulled the trigger on buying D3. Should I?

Please don't talk about "omg, i need interweb to play". Honest reviews please.

I could go either way right now. I want to, but I also need assurance that it is a good purchase. I can be convinced otherwise.
Old 2012-05-18, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Crazyduckling View Post

Please don't talk about "omg, i need interweb to play". Honest reviews please.

I could go either way right now. I want to, but I also need assurance that it is a good purchase. I can be convinced otherwise.
Well seeing as whether or not it's a good purchase depends wholly on your subjective opinion of the game, I'm not sure how anyone can "assure" you of that.
Old 2012-05-19, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Crazyduckling View Post
Do you like Action RPG games like Diablo 2 or Torchlight or Titan Quest? If so, then yes. If not, then no.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

A few of us Overlords have it and we enjoy it a lot. I've got a level 23 Monk. It kind of reminds me of a simpler time in gaming, when all you wanted to do was spend a night on TS bullshitting with your friends and doing a dungeon crawl. I've had a lot of fun with it so far, I think it's a great game that didn't try to lose it's identity to keep up with newer games. If you liked Diablo 2 and liked just having fun doing a dungeon crawl with some friends, you'll like this. If you are looking for the cutting edge in gaming, you can probably pass on it.

I think the sheer volume of copies that this sold in pre-order shows that it's exactly what most gamers were looking for. And yeah it sucks it's hosted on their servers but it's pretty much the only way for them to avoid pirates and hackers ruining the economy of the game.
Old 2012-05-24, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
marry
Private

Are you playing War2 Glory? See if you share the same points made in this latest War2 Glory review.
Old 2012-05-31, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

By the way, I highly recommend D3Dark. It won't get you banned and it's not a mod to the game, but rather your graphics card that only activates when you play D3. Makes the game look darker and grimmer. D3 is a lovely looking game, but their infatuation with glow makes a lot of the detail get washed out. D3Dark tones that down and brings it closer to D1/D2, visually. Just do a Google search for it and check it out if you're interested.
Old 2012-06-16, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
echogamer
Private

Originally Posted by marry View Post
Are you playing War2 Glory? See if you share the same points made in this latest War2 Glory review.
I basically play final eden and grepolis, but I will take a try on this game. Online Games are too small, I will buy diablo 3.
Old 2012-06-20, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

We need to stop posting in this. It's so old and outdated.

This was a thread alerting people about the release date for a game that was released months ago. Just stop.

I realize that this post will bring it back to the top once more, but I'll post anyways in the hopes that it will be the last one.

The thread wants to die, let it go.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion