LAG - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now with 300% more gibs!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-02-03, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Miir
Malvision

LAG

One of the biggest issues in the original Planetside (at least for me) was "Lag" in larger battles. Since the entire appeal/selling feature of Planetside was large scale combat. I'm curious to have some input on how the dev team will handle things this time around.

While I only played for the first year or so after release. Any large scale fighting up to that point that I took part in were almost to the point of being unplayable. Even with the implementation of animation Culling.

Now almost 8 years in the future. Do you think the technology is there to handle larger battles better?
Old 2011-02-03, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gogita
Master Sergeant

Re: LAG

One of the things that I am also slightly worried about. This is why I do not like those people that want PsN to be as realistic as possible (destroyable terrain, buildings, extremely realistic weather etc) Don't they realize that if all those things were implemented, combining it with more than 500 people, Planetside will lag incredibly.

I think PsN will be able to sustain large battles without too much lag if they make sure that they do not make the graphics and effects are not too heavy for the average gaming computer. Most people have good internet connection nowadays so...
Old 2011-02-03, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tikuto
Major

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
Now almost 8 years in the future. Do you think the technology is there to handle larger battles better?
I had this in-mind too, and it very most likely be true. CCP are bringing in new hardware for their game so I'm pretty sure SOE can be jsut as competative.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)
Old 2011-02-03, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Raymac
Brigadier General

This will be the make or break issue for PSN. I tolerated alot of lag when I first started and even upgraded my computer specifically to run Planetside better, but SOE can't expect their customers to tolerate that much lag again. Hopefully they learned alot from the original and are applying that knowledge now. If they can make PSN run smooth, then there will be no stopping it.
Old 2011-02-03, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
I had this in-mind too, and it very most likely be true. CCP are bringing in new hardware for their game so I'm pretty sure SOE can be jsut as competative.
If SOE messed around with hardware as much as CCP, we'd have downtime every goddamn week... trust me. I'm starting to think that either:
a) The mice on the wheels are dying
or
b) newbie techies are accidentally kicking off twist lock APC power sockets... every week.
Old 2011-02-04, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Technology has definitely come a long way but on the flip side nobody else has tried an MMOFPS (really..) Hopefully SOE has learned quite a bit from the original PlanetSide.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-02-04, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
One of the biggest issues in the original Planetside (at least for me) was "Lag" in larger battles. Since the entire appeal/selling feature of Planetside was large scale combat. I'm curious to have some input on how the dev team will handle things this time around.

While I only played for the first year or so after release. Any large scale fighting up to that point that I took part in were almost to the point of being unplayable. Even with the implementation of animation Culling.

Yes it's there

Smed
Old 2011-02-04, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
Yes it's there

Smed
Giggling with excitement over here. Can't wait!
Old 2011-02-04, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Krushiev
Private

Yes it's there

Smed
That's so good to hear... So good I nearly cried. Aww, who am I kidding...
Old 2011-02-04, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

I really hope it runs better on win7 than PS currently does.
Old 2011-02-04, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tikuto
Major

/cabbagepatch
Old 2011-02-04, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Hmm, i understand smeds reply in a way that he just told us that the battles of PSN are going to be bejoind 150 players per empire. Hmmmm, thats gonna be good.

Gotta save some cash tho to get a better PC in case i need it.
Old 2011-02-04, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Miir
Malvision

Yes it's there

Smed
Thanks for the reply! Since my original question could be taken generically about the technology and I'm assuming your reply is specific to PS:N.

I wanted to make sure. So I have a couple more questions.

Will PS:N be able to support larger (bigger than the original PS) battles because of the new code or hardware technologies.

If Yes.

Will the new technologies minimize or eliminate battle (fps) lag as we know it from the old Planetside.

If eliminate. You are back in my will.

Last edited by Miir; 2011-02-04 at 08:26 PM.
Old 2011-02-04, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

What do you mean with large battle lag anyway?
Server never really was a problem. The big problem PS has is a massive FPS drop once the screen gets full of stuff. But it wasnt always like that, i remember playing on a 3 Ghz Intel with a Radeon 9800 Pro on almost full settings in a big battle with 30+ FPS. That was actually better then on my current E6300 with a GTX 280. I guess if someone would take the time and fix the engine, means put it on DX9 and optimize it for new hardware, then i could easily run on 60 FPS even in massive 3ways.

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/ima...52491-orig.jpg

While i cant confirm that because i got it from a outfit mate, if that info is valid, then its gonna be happy days because your personal hardware lag will be minimized, as long as you dont care about the look of the game.
Old 2011-02-04, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

That's shopped. Who the hell only has 75 pieces of unread mail in their email account?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion