achievements? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Remember, only YOU can prevent forum fires!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-16, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Heaven
Master Sergeant

achievements?

Since more info. Has been released on PS2 I haven't really heard much news on achievements... I personally enjoyed the achievement system in PS, putting them on your armor to show them off that was a good idea, I hope they have something like this in PS2.
Old 2011-07-16, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Re: achievements?

Agreed. They were done right in PS1. Don't change whats not broken right?
Old 2011-07-16, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vash02
Major

Maybe they should make the achievements a bit more distinctive than they are in PS1. For the most part they were to small to notice and you couldnt tell the difference between a 100 kill achievement or a 5000 kill achievement.
Old 2011-07-16, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Merits will be in PS2
Old 2011-07-16, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
Merits will be in PS2
Let's just keep it to that.

Achievements for the most part, ruined games. Before achievements you just played the game to have fun. Now I can find myself senseless grinding on some menial task in order to unlock an achievement that is of no value. I guess merits sort of already do this, but they're by no means something that really entices you to them, not like the effect achievements have.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-16, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
Let's just keep it to that.

Achievements for the most part, ruined games. Before achievements you just played the game to have fun. Now I can find myself senseless grinding on some menial task in order to unlock an achievement that is of no value. I guess merits sort of already do this, but they're by no means something that really entices you to them, not like the effect achievements have.
I disagree with you. Achievements encourage players to try things they otherwise wouldn't have. You don't have to do them.
Old 2011-07-16, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
razor851
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
Agreed. They were done right in PS1. Don't change whats not broken right?
Are you high?

Join the PlanetSide Steam Group!
Old 2011-07-16, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zargas
Private

Never really got why achievements where fun in the first place, so if i kill 2K i got a 2-3 color ribbon? yeah no

On my PS3 i have trophy's on my 360 i have achievements and i dont even know what i have there either
I never look nor do i care about em

What i do like is interesting rewards, plus i feel like achievements kinda ruin the whole exploring aspect of a game
If there is a achievements for going to the top of a special mountain, then everyone will do it
But if there is only some special art decal or a memorial to PS1 up there then only those who are interested inn it will take the time to actually do it

Kill stats and achievements makes people do unbelievable stupid and weird actions to finish them
Old 2011-07-16, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Zargas View Post
Kill stats and achievements makes people do unbelievable stupid and weird actions to finish them
An achievement is only as unbelievably stupid as the person who comes up with it...
Old 2011-07-16, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by razor851 View Post
Are you high?
I think they could have been improved for sure, but for a military game, i think they were all-right.

Planetside was infact the first MMO to have achievements BTW.
Old 2011-07-16, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

Merits were awesome, keep that system and improve upon it.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-16, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Achievements are a good thing. It gives the players something to strive for, and gives the player bragging rights. Like it or not, these things are needed for the game to be successful. Most people without something to strive for, don't hang with a game as long.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-16, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Achievements are another way of player differentiation, and they did it in a way such that you could put it on your arm and wear it with pride. Thus, you get recognized for the unique snowflake that you are.

The most important thing about it is that its entirely harmless to the balance of the game, provided they dont' start linking things to achievements (which they did with the service awards, bad bad bad).

As stated before, recognition is powerful in games. Its a great idea and its a differentiator. Gives something for people to work for and rewards people who dedicate themselves to a few specific roles.

In PS, the merits were achievements and they were great. Refine and improve, but like the Grief system it might not need much improvement. Grief and merits were pretty well done the first time through, but net ideas never hurts.

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-07-16 at 11:45 AM.
Old 2011-07-16, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bags
Lieutenant General

Achievements are almost always poorly implemented (see WoW, TF2, etc) and encourage horrible gameplay.

Merits worked fine. Anything more is unnecessary fluff.

If you need achievements to find fun in video games you shouldn't play video games.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-16 at 12:42 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-16, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Achievements & Merits are the same thing. Recognition for doing something.

Only difference between PS merits and the "Achievements" that exist in WoW and other games is the scope of the achievement. They added a bunch of stupid stuff, some of which challenged players, others didn't. The achievements (merits) in PS were focused on doing a specific task and got progressive more involved. They didn't have a merit for healing yourself while falling out out of a galaxy or something like that.

I think that's what Bags and others are referring to. Conceptually Merits are achievements, but some games have implementations that encourage recklessness.

Of course having a knife merit sort of does the same...most of the time you don't want to go trying for knife kill streaks because your gun will get better results. And in order to get that merit some people cheesed it by getting a hostile player to cooperate. Gotta be careful about that sort of thing.

I think merits/achievements in the way that Battlefield has done them is good. Merits for defenses, merits for attacks, merits for kills with certain weapons or vehicles, merits for kill-streaks, that sort of thing. All those are very good for the game. I prefer stuff that doesnt' encourage recklessness though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion