Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because idle hands do the devil's work!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-09-01, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
Wahooo
Captain

Re: Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return

Funny how the counter to the examples of how kill cam information could be used by vets or those that have awareness is to show kill cam isn't needed.
Old 2013-09-03, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #167
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
Funny how the counter to the examples of how kill cam information could be used by vets or those that have awareness is to show kill cam isn't needed.
If anything, these examples show that the whole notice of OMG-vets-will-profit-more-than-newbs-and-kill-cam-will-ruin-the game is just a hypocrite, bloated myth, typically cultivated by short-sighted vets that in reality show no interest in new players at all, besides game mechanics increasing their edge on them so they can easier stomp them into the ground until this game becomes an inaccessible ghost town.

More instant, comprehensible and intuitive feedback about your failings is desperately needed in a game with such an increasingly steep learning and skill curve.
Kill-cam could be a very valuable tool for that but it should not be the only tool . Tons of other mechanics should (and will) be changed to make the game easier to get into, like: In-game mission system, more in-game tutorials, better target practising at VR, easier outfit recruiting, better stat system, better social tools etc.
Old 2013-09-03, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #168
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
If anything, these examples show that the whole notice of OMG-vets-will-profit-more-than-newbs-and-kill-cam-will-ruin-the game is just a hypocrite, bloated myth, typically cultivated by short-sighted vets that in reality show no interest in new players at all, besides game mechanics increasing their edge on them so they can easier stomp them into the ground until this game becomes an inaccessible ghost town.

More instant, comprehensible and intuitive feedback about your failings is desperately needed in a game with such an increasingly steep learning and skill curve.
Kill-cam could be a very valuable tool for that but it should not be the only tool . Tons of other mechanics should (and will) be changed to make the game easier to get into, like: In-game mission system, more in-game tutorials, better target practising at VR, easier outfit recruiting, better stat system, better social tools etc.
look we are tired of hearing about kill cams okay , they hurt tactical outfits . i myself use a silencer (and so does the rest of my squad) .what's the point of it if someone can just see me after i killed him and then alert everyone of my squad's position. Kill cams give too much of an advantage and there is a good damn reason we asked to get rid of them in alpha seriously Rolfski enough is enough let's move on to something else because clearly most of us don't agree with you
Old 2013-09-03, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #169
PredatorFour
Major

End thread.. don't post anymore.... put it on a boat and let it drift away whilst set on fire... Give this thread the burial it deserves... let it sail into obscurity into necroland...
Old 2013-09-03, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #170
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
let it sail into obscurity into necroland...
Stop posting in it then.
Old 2013-09-03, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #171
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
End thread.. don't post anymore.... put it on a boat and let it drift away whilst set on fire... Give this thread the burial it deserves... let it sail into obscurity into necroland...
Yea but there's a kill cam on that boat so we all can still see it after its gone.

Seriously tho, removal of kill cams will be listed as an "optimization" for better performance. of the game, not you snooping ghosts trying to get a leg up.
Old 2013-09-03, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #172
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Phantomdestiny View Post
look we are tired of hearing about kill cams okay , they hurt tactical outfits .
As has been argued before, it's a myth. If anything, it adds new tactical options.

i myself use a silencer (and so does the rest of my squad) .what's the point of it if someone can just see me after i killed him and then alert everyone of my squad's position.
This argument has also been beaten before, look it up the topic. Stealth tools are still perfectly viable with kill cam.

Kill cams give too much of an advantage and there is a good damn reason we asked to get rid of them in alpha
Again, this was discussed before in this topic. The whole alpha discussion was largely a joke and the state of the game has been clearly changed in the mean time.

seriously Rolfski enough is enough
Then don't bring up the same flawed arguments over and over again. Either bring in a new angle in the discussion or just don't bother with it if you're tired of it.

This whole collective blind kill-cam hate is more about elitest sentiments than it is about proper game design if you ask me. Especially when read some of the ridiculous non-constructive remarks in this topic.
It kinda reminds me of this whole OMFG-the-game-is-dumbed-down-into-oblivion! bitter vet rage we had going on this forum a year ago. People just too blind with anger to be open to rational arguments or open for seeing the big picture.
Old 2013-09-04, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #173
Ertwin
Staff Sergeant

if you ask me.

Nobody did.
Old 2013-09-04, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #174
Blynd
First Sergeant

As has been argued before, it's a myth. If anything, it adds new tactical options.

This argument has also been beaten before, look it up the topic. Stealth tools are still perfectly viable with kill cam.

Again, this was discussed before in this topic. The whole alpha discussion was largely a joke and the state of the game has been clearly changed in the mean time.

Then don't bring up the same flawed arguments over and over again. Either bring in a new angle in the discussion or just don't bother with it if you're tired of it.

This whole collective blind kill-cam hate is more about elitest sentiments than it is about proper game design if you ask me. Especially when read some of the ridiculous non-constructive remarks in this topic.
It kinda reminds me of this whole OMFG-the-game-is-dumbed-down-into-oblivion! bitter vet rage we had going on this forum a year ago. People just too blind with anger to be open to rational arguments or open for seeing the big picture.
Look if someone wants a killcam so badly go play bf3 in nolb mode or cod or tf2 bf3 was only any good on hardcore servers with no killcam as it spoils the game as people know where your set up.

Anyway its all moot its not coming back so stfu about it we don't want it in this game. my 13 year old has no issue with the learning curve of the game and when he was 7 he also had no issue with the learning curve of planetside 1.

End of story.

Good night

And if you don't like it roflski just shut up about it before hammma brings the hamma down and closes this thread (prays for it to happen )

Last edited by Blynd; 2013-09-04 at 02:39 AM.
Old 2013-09-04, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #175
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Utter bollocks, any tactical outfit worth it's k/d will tell you, you are full of shit.

More rubbish, using a silencer to mask where you are oh wait "guys hes in that corner in building x i can see him on kill cam" 6 guys descend on him

Yeh it hasn't

The arguments presented by 99% of the people posting in this thread are against killcam and perfectly sound only you are having issue with this because you are pushing your own agenda that is driven by the fact that after playing this game for more than a year your situational awareness still sucks so you are seeking a crutch to further your desire to make it EASY. Nothing will fix this issue for you as good players will always make better use of the tools at their disposal

This whole collective blind kill-cam hate is more about elitest sentiments than it is about proper game design if you ask me.

This is a case of you being unable to accept your idea is a bad one.

Especially when read some of the ridiculous non-constructive remarks in this topic.

People have provided you with plenty of constructive comments based on a variety of experience and gameplay types, you again choose that anything that does not conform to your ideals is "ridiculous non-constructive"

Blinkers on yet again
This game is one that is supposed to have a learning curve, it is supposed to have some complexities. Learn the game or go back to callofbattleduty1337 round based FPS games, the tools are there for people to use if you lack the intelligence or motivation to use those tools you have no right to ruin it for everyone else.

It was massively unpopular with the playerbase and still is.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.

Last edited by Mastachief; 2013-09-04 at 09:37 AM.
Old 2013-09-04, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #176
Baptist
Private

Sorry I haven’t read all the posts in this thread, but since I log into this forum every day I kinda half expected this thread to be over a week ago, Its obvious from what I have read that a large percentage of the player base would be against this, hell I even have guys in my Outfit who are against the idea of hit indicators, never mind Kill Cam.

Myself I’m not that extreme, in regards to Kill Cam however I would be against it coming into the game as it would take away from the immersion that Planetside offers, If I get killed by a Tank or sniper, I rarely, not never but rarely do I not know roughly the direction the incoming fire originated from, which enables me to bark orders for my squad to get eyes on that Target and locate it.

This is another small but fun aspect of the game, I’m working with my guys on an objective and problem solving, Kill Cam would take away from this, granted new players might not have the backup from a group playing and communicating, but that’s up to them to Join an Outfit.

Instead of asking SOE for new features which help the Lone Wolf, we should be asking for more Outfit support, hell even an in game mailing system would be higher on my wish list.

Well done rolfski on fighting your corner but in my opinion you should chalk this one up to I agree to disagree.

Last edited by Baptist; 2013-09-04 at 04:08 PM.
Old 2013-09-05, 03:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #177
Phreec
Corporal

I'm glad SOE is at least somewhat fighting the tide here.

Call of Duty has gone to shit. Battlefield has gone to shit. There's just too many shooter franchises that have been dumbed down and filled with such crutches to appeal to every god damn monkey that manages to turn on their console and find a Shooter to play. I sincerely hope Planetside doesn't follow the same road any further than what it already has...
Old 2013-09-05, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #178
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Baptist View Post
This is another small but fun aspect of the game, I’m working with my guys on an objective and problem solving, Kill Cam would take away from th/is
It's a bullshit myth, believe me. I've been playing shooters since the first MOH and I have since then seen this whole anti kill-cam argument over the years developing in some e-peen crap.
Old 2013-09-06, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #179
Ertwin
Staff Sergeant

It's a bullshit myth, believe me. I've been playing shooters since the first MOH and I have since then seen this whole anti kill-cam argument over the years developing in some e-peen crap.
Just because something hasn't happened to you personally doesn't make it a bullshit myth. This entire thread you've dismissed every argument against kill cam because either you don't have enough experience to use the advantages it gives, or simply because it's an argument against kill cam.

However just because you haven't personally witnessed something or can't take advantage of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's as if you were playing quake, and were saying rocket jump should be removed or made into a simple button press (or TF2 if you're age deficient) just because it's difficult, and you and your friends can't do it.

Rocket jumping provided a learning curve, I never mastered it, and I played quake for years. However I was still able to play, and do well without rocket jumping. I never once considered (until now) that they could just make a button you press to instantly rocket jump. However if they did that to make rocket jumping easier for the newbies, the folks who were really good at rocket jumping already would still be better at it, and would do it faster and more efficiently than any newbies it might help.

Planetside 2 is the same. Yes there's a learning curve, but it's there for a reason. It's easy to get into but difficult to master. That's the point. A game isn't fun if it's too easy because there's no sense of accomplishment. If the game shows you everything you do wrong (at the expense of a majority of the stealth play, which you'll learn when you have more experience at an open world mmofps as opposed to the regular FPS games you're used to) you'll never get that awesome feeling of figuring things out for yourself.

If you're always shown what others are doing, and copying them, you'll never try something new that nobody has tried before. Not having a kill cam allows new players to learn and improve the overall strategies, which yes as a result makes the learning curve a bit harder, however that's not a bad thing. You don't have to climb to the top of the curve. All a causal player has to do is play the game, there will be people to urge the new players to attack or defend bases, there will be people to help them on the way. Without kill cam, players can climb the learning curve at their own pace, and choose how far up they want to go. There's no shame in staying near the bottom just shooting everyone who isn't wearing the same colour armour as you.

A kill cam might act an elevator for the lower part of the learning curve, but it damages the higher parts, the stealth gameplay is at the very least damaged, and the learning curve turns into a cliff towards the top as those who are good at quickly gaining information from kill cams completely leave those who believe that kill cams don't reveal anything useful in the dust.

So why not allow the helping hands of other players assist the new players up the learning curve rather than damaging it by installing a lift.

Last edited by Ertwin; 2013-09-06 at 02:51 AM.
Old 2013-09-06, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #180
Blynd
First Sergeant

Kill cams are a bad idea end of argument
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion