Self deconstructing vehicles? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's whats for Snacks!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-02, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Azren
Sergeant Major

Question Self deconstructing vehicles?

Hey

Not too long ago, on the AGN community night recording, Higby commented that we will not be able to deconstruct vehicles, however they will do so on their own after being unattended.

I am wondering what this means in terms of gameplay; do you have to jump in the driver's seat every 10 minutes to keep your parked sunderer or galaxy from deconstructing, or will the game see any player interaction (for example: someone sitting in the gunner position, or just someone pulling up to repair, ect) and push the timer out?

Is it possible to have your vehicle auto deconstruct only because your don't use it for a given period of time, or only if the vehicle has lost ownership (the ower pulled a new vehicle).
Old 2012-02-02, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: Self deconstructing vehicles?

I guess if this is a problem, it can and will be fixed during beta. It might be one of those things that they didnt think about. Yes, even if I parked my vehicle outside the base two hours ago, I want it to still be there when I'm done fighting over the base

Or then we need parking lots! Designated areas where vehicles wont deconstruct if unattended! /sarcasm off.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-02-02, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Figment
Lieutenant General

I'd say ownership rules akin to those in PS.

I've already juggled enough units around at the same time to create CY turrets for random gunners (Thundy + Deli + Sundy + another Thundy). Similarly I've set up a lot of AMS/Router combos on my own. If I'd not have to juggle those units to keep them from destructing, there'd be no time pressure that can lead to mistakes, I'd not have to get out in the open all the time by exiting vehicles, etc.

If you didn't handle another vehicle in two hours, fine, if you did, the other vehicle should be deconstructed. Otherwise the spam of abandoned vehicles (both full and low health) would soon fill the CYs.
Old 2012-02-02, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Ten minutes would be way too short for an auto-deconstruct timer. It shouldn't be something anyone really worries about, ever. An hour or two is more reasonable.
Old 2012-02-02, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

I suspect it will work like PS1. As long as you don't take ownership of another vehicle, the one you just got out of will stay active.
Old 2012-02-02, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Ten minutes would be way too short for an auto-deconstruct timer. It shouldn't be something anyone really worries about, ever. An hour or two is more reasonable.
10 minutes was only an example, the actual number does not matter much in this context.
Old 2012-02-02, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

A good question! And sadly one we do not know the answer to perhaps Higby will enlighten us.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-02, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I would love to see self DESTRUCTING vehicles. Done via hacking of course, so as the driver gets in and starts to move BAM

But the timer for self decon is totally dependent on the beta in my opinion
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-02-02, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
10 minutes was only an example, the actual number does not matter much in this context.
Why even use a number then? Will you have to enter a vehicle within a certain period of time to prevent it from being deconstructed? Seems so. Is there any indication that it would be something absurd like ten minutes? Not so far. I guess it's a bit of trivia that might be interesting if it's something silly like a handful of minutes, but I can't see where the concern that you'll be inconvenienced by having to regularly return to your vehicle comes from.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-02-02 at 01:09 PM.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
I would love to see self DESTRUCTING vehicles. Done via hacking of course, so as the driver gets in and starts to move BAM

But the timer for self decon is totally dependent on the beta in my opinion
YES!

Hack a vehicle and have some options;

Decon vehicle.
Take control of vehicle.
SPEEDIFY VEHICLE (Once vehicle reaches certain speed, arms and will explode if drops below it!)
Old 2012-02-02, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
MpS
Private

Because PS2 is going to be free to play some form of vehicle deconstruction would be a good idea just so bases don't get ridiculously cluttered with vehicles from afk players. This is something we really need to see in the beta to be honest though, maybe the timer could be dependent on your empires population or the number of vehicles in the area with a set minimum and maximum value?
Old 2012-02-02, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

A hour or two seems like a good enough time before you vehicle decons. I should be able to park my vanguard inside the base. Hop in a Liberator blow some stuff up. Hot drop on a tower and take it. With just enough time to return to said facility to hop in my vanguard and go wreck havoc.

Old 2012-02-02, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
bjorntju1
Captain

They could make a radius deciding if the vehicle will be destroyed or not. If you are right next to the vehicle, it will stay there as long as you are online. But if you get to a certain radius, lets say 500 meters, the vehicle will deconstruct after a set time.
Old 2012-02-02, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
They could make a radius deciding if the vehicle will be destroyed or not. If you are right next to the vehicle, it will stay there as long as you are online. But if you get to a certain radius, lets say 500 meters, the vehicle will deconstruct after a set time.
This question becomes more interesting if we are only looking at support oriented vehicles, like a deployed galaxy or parked sunderer. As these vehicles do not need to be driven, onces they reach a strategically important position, the drivers may choose to leave them behind and continue on foot or jump in as gunner for a different vehicle. The empire however will still benefit from the said vehicles, maybe even use them as main spawning point for an attack. Having the attack fail due to auto deconstructing would be bad game mechanics.
Old 2012-02-02, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It goes without saying that it would be a bad thing for in-use vehicles like galaxies being spawned from despawning in the middle of a fight would be a bad thing. It's really not something that they probably require a forum thread to bring to their attention.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion