How the heck did SOE achieve such faction loyalty? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 17% Nanite by Volume.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-23, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Re: How the heck did SOE achieve such faction loyalty?

Just to add that you can talk to the opposition, not in a spy type of way (does happen though) which adds to the rivalry and camaraderie. Its similar to how boxers once they are in the ring they just want to destroy their opponent, but once its over they shake hands and no hard feelings. But if they have a rematch its back to being total enemies and wanting to kill each other again.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Arovien
First Sergeant

Why is there such faction loyalty? TR 4 life, that's why!
Old 2012-06-23, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
They just exploited something that is hardwired in our brains and transmitted by our genes... people are tribal, they tend to divide and choose sides... and dislike those who aren't on their side. It's the basic survival mechanism in situation of overpopulation or lack of resources and thus is important part of our very nature.

I haven't played those games but I presume they have guild based loyalties that's why switching a side is not a big problem if your guild switches. In PS people are organized in Outfits to be more effective but their loyalty lies in their Empire's colors since you don't fight for your guild but for your Empire unlike in other games where only your guild members are rewarded for your success in doing something.

Also unlike those games they haven't made a distinct classical black/white (good/bad) faction division.
What he said.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Radaeron
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
Ya. You do also build attachments to areas. One I always hear is Ixtab, Hossin. Mine, oddly, Faro, Cyssor. Site of my first full on major battle.
Dagda, Forseral was the homebase. That said, one of the best battles I ever experienced was Drakulu, Searhus.

Holding off a Red Alert with just a smattering of TR. We lost it eventually, but it was incredible.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Vamoozi
Private

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
Just to add that you can talk to the opposition, not in a spy type of way (does happen though) which adds to the rivalry and camaraderie. Its similar to how boxers once they are in the ring they just want to destroy their opponent, but once its over they shake hands and no hard feelings. But if they have a rematch its back to being total enemies and wanting to kill each other again.
You can talk to other factions?
AWESOME!
Old 2012-06-23, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
i laughed when you said most of their weapons are better. They are shite, in game and real life.
honestly I am laughing at you because for you to say russian weapons are shite.. tells me you have no real experience using them none the less many of them besides maybe a knockoff AK likely...you definately have not used them in a combat situation.. or you would not be saying what you said.

Also the original guy said "some" not most.

Russia has made some of the most rugged combat effective weapons in the history of 1890- to current times.

Last edited by Top Sgt; 2012-06-23 at 05:59 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
i laughed when you said most of their weapons are better. They are shite, in game and real life.
The AEK-971 is pretty awesome, 1 quick burst, half the mag gone, but you know the enemy is gonna die, and the AN-94, if it was based on real life, then it would be a very overpowered gun, because it can shoot 2 shots before recoil affects it.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

They achieved faction loyalty due to 9 years of war. 9 years of running with the same outfit mates and experiencing the good times and the bad times. 9 years of facing off against old foes on the TR and the VS. After 9 years of war its not hard to build such a strong hate for the other two factions.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-06-23 at 06:10 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Nine years of *chuka chuka chuka chuka chuka chuka chuka* made me loathe the NC.

Of course, I don't even like their Gauss rifle, and I was at my best using the darn thing. PS2 is shaping up a bit differently though, so I may have to try everyone out to see where my loyalties lay this time, even if the good ol' Republic spirit is calling out to me (it's totally not influencing me AT ALL >.> )
Old 2012-06-23, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Dagron
Captain

I haven't played PS1 and i get it.

Originally Posted by Vamoozi View Post
I played WoW (...) and I didnt give a single damn wich faction I'm on at the moment
Before they allowed us to make characters of both factions in the same server, we had a lot of rivalry.
People hated the other faction with a passion that was almost real (sometimes it was).

Dividing people makes them proud of their chosen side.

FOR DA HORDE!!!

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-23 at 06:36 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

As i haven't played the first planetside, I really don't understand how people that played it became so much loyal, defensive, biased (not telling this is a bad thing) To their faction.

I mean, I like NC the most, but see the other two factions have their appeal aswell, but some PS1 vet sees it diffrently, he sees his faction as a godlike empire, and the other two factions worms barely worth living.

how

HOW?

I mean, I played WoW and SWTOR and I didnt give a single damn wich faction I'm on at the moment, but i feel I will become like the PS1 vets overtime, biased to my faction.
Well, first off you'd have to consider that both of those games let you play against your own faction. That already makes you loose some of that competetive and patriotic mindset as the lines between the two factions are being blurred by this. There is not real point to being one specific faction over the other, you fight both anyways, so what is the difference besides the personal preference?

Along with this you'd also have to consider that neither of these games are primarily focused on being competetive, as in 100% PvP and that's it. Both of these games, while having a somewhat large pvp-focused gameplay, are both PvE-focused primarily. That also contributes to the whole phenomenon.

Thirdly, in PlanetSide you have not only two but three factions which I personally believes to create even more of a competetive and patriotic mindset. This all together with the fact that PlanetSide is 100% PvP and it's a persistent game as well. When you're done fighting you're not just reloading the map, but instead your results of the previous battle/fights live on throughout the day.

So, in short; It's not just one factor that contributes but several of them all-together play an important role.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Coreldan
Colonel

There's also a lot of psychological research done on this.

Something along the lines of a random blob of people just artificially divided into groups (just like "ok you are in group 1, you in group 2" kinda thing) and had them do some activities together. Fairly soon you can already start noticing how the attitudes start turning into "our group" and "their group" with some clear "bias" towards your own group for no apparent reason.

It's built into us!

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-23, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

You can talk to other factions?
AWESOME!
So much so that on the odd rare occasion I recall you would find a TR and NC player at the top of a tower , having a temporary respite/truce from hatred against each other, in order to facilitate their collective hatred towards the vs scum below. After that, probably kill each other.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Figment
Lieutenant General

It also helped that at the start of PlanetSide, you were only allowed to play one faction per server. This lasted quite some time actually.

Later on servers merged and the policy became pointless, faction hopping (fourth empire) was frowned upon as this destabilised populations. But more than that, to many it was considered treason to your buddies!

Teamwork and therefore outfits being so important further strengthen your roots: you and your buddies are all on the same side.

When YOUR home continent is attacked, it's not just the empire that's attacked, it's YOUR empire, YOUR continent, YOUR base, YOUR home, YOUR pride, YOUR pie stash that's being attacked. As leaders, you always got the best response from your troops by making such invasions feel as if they were after the dearest thing you had. The audacity of coming on YOUR turf and claiming it for themselves! How dare them commie bastards and purple scumbags! D:<

And if you win, you as a group can gloat about it on forums (people still do!).

Basically, everything you do in PS has always been an "us versus them" thing. It was designed this way and I still support the one empire one server basics, tbh.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-06-23 at 06:33 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
So much so that on the odd rare occasion I recall you would find a TR and NC player at the top of a tower , having a temporary respite/truce from hatred against each other, in order to facilitate their collective hatred towards the vs scum below. After that, probably kill each other.
QFT

Man that brings back some memories. I will say my outfit mates and I use to have temporary truces with random outfits on the TR/VS side just for the exchange of weapons to store in the locker. The funny part of it was the tension prior to arriving at the meeting spot. Everybody would be walking up with their guns drawn just waiting for one of them to squelch on the deal. Ahh, the memories and believe me some of those deals did end up going bad. I still have a locker full of TR chain guns and Lashers.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions