broken game? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Complete with a staff of sexy beasts
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-06-06, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: broken game?

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
I have seen posts by people on the PS official forum about never getting over 30fps in big battles, especially at biolabs. This is people with highly overclocked CPU's and dual high-zoot graphics cards.

I think they need to rewrite the code and optimize it for computers that were built after 1980.

CPU bottlenecking was Planetside 1's problem too.

This game chokes on itself in big battles.

I think they need upgraded servers, too, as their average capacity is not what's important. What's important is peak capacity. And peak capacity is drastically below what it needs to be.

Oh, and far more streamlined code, too.

I was just in a big battle. It took several seconds for it to acknowledge that I had hit the vehicle terminal, then a while for the menu to come up, then even longer for the thing that you press to get the vehicle.

Then, I saw my vehicle schematic on the screen, and found myself somewhere else. I spawned to my vehicle and I was where it was (A Sunderer) and it was a flaming wreck. I never even got to drive it. And later another Sundy, it got blown up and I got booted right out of the game with the warning "don't fire on friendly forces". I didn't even have a mine laid, and I was attempting to use the terminal on the side of the vehicle.

The fact of the matter is the code sucks, and they have insufficient peak capacity to properly function when it is most needed.

Problem is, to optimize the code would require troubleshooting what is happening, which costs money, which, no matter how many billions they rake in, Sony doesn't ever seen to want to do. Businesses run by bean counters fail. Or rice counters.

Spend the money and provide a better product.
and also tales of people who do get over 30fps etc.

they have optimised it under OMFG not least to enable it to perform for PS4 which has a fairly low spec compared to most PC's.

I don't know what evidence you can have to be able to say with credibility that 'their code sucks'.
Old 2014-06-06, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

I have had no issues with the game for quite some time. Yea it lags in some big battles from time to time but no other game out there could even handle fights on this scale so I guess I can live with it. Hit detection in general compared to other FPS's I have plays is well above average.

PS2 is far from broken it just needs completed....
Old 2014-06-06, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Boildown
Sergeant

The game runs far better now than it used to be. The most recent major patch made it feel a lot smoother for me personally, even if my framerates list about the same as before. My specs are listed on my Twitch page if you're curious.

Apparently making games highly multithreaded is hard, and that's what's required to fully utilize CPUs these days, with neither Intel nor AMD doing much to increase IPC or raw clockspeed. SoE just spent / wasted 8 months of doing next to zero updates to the game (while Zoe was ridiculously OP) doing optimization, the end of which we did get some pretty decent results. Most of which came at the cost of graphics, but some of which was utilizing the CPU better. The game is definitely uglier than it used to be, but it runs better on more people's computers.

I saw a quote that went something like: its the job of the programmers to make the game run faster, and the job of the artists to make the game run slower.

'Cause every time they add new stuff to the game, it comes at a cost. Which may be small individually, but can be large in aggregate.

Old 2014-06-14, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Its a bit broken and a lot imbalanced. Broken because sometimes shots don't register, particularly with my jackhammer I can shoot people right in the chest with a full triple burst and they kill me having taken not damage.

Imbalance.. well thats down to how they made the factions sadly, TR get fast weapons NC get hard hitting weapons, VS get mega accurate weapons... guess which is best in a shooter where accuracy is key? VS basically never need to ADS in close quarters fighting which gives them the advantage where NC is meant to do well, and when aiming down the sight they also have an advantage (again where the TR should be doing well) as they can just aim at you and hold down the button while TR and NC need to burst fire or you'll be shooting the sun in a second.

Will it change? the broken bit probably, the horrible balance? probably not, they built the entire faction around this ridiculous concept so it would be way to much effort for them to rework the entire faction so its not OP as hell, and I don't think they know what niche the VS would fit without being mega accurate as the other 2 obvious ones are covered.
Old 2014-06-17, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
xeroslash
Private

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
I have seen posts by people on the PS official forum about never getting over 30fps in big battles, especially at biolabs. This is people with highly overclocked CPU's and dual high-zoot graphics cards.

I think they need to rewrite the code and optimize it for computers that were built after 1980.

CPU bottlenecking was Planetside 1's problem too.

This game chokes on itself in big battles.

I think they need upgraded servers, too, as their average capacity is not what's important. What's important is peak capacity. And peak capacity is drastically below what it needs to be.

Oh, and far more streamlined code, too.

I was just in a big battle. It took several seconds for it to acknowledge that I had hit the vehicle terminal, then a while for the menu to come up, then even longer for the thing that you press to get the vehicle.

Then, I saw my vehicle schematic on the screen, and found myself somewhere else. I spawned to my vehicle and I was where it was (A Sunderer) and it was a flaming wreck. I never even got to drive it. And later another Sundy, it got blown up and I got booted right out of the game with the warning "don't fire on friendly forces". I didn't even have a mine laid, and I was attempting to use the terminal on the side of the vehicle.

The fact of the matter is the code sucks, and they have insufficient peak capacity to properly function when it is most needed.

Problem is, to optimize the code would require troubleshooting what is happening, which costs money, which, no matter how many billions they rake in, Sony doesn't ever seen to want to do. Businesses run by bean counters fail. Or rice counters.

Spend the money and provide a better product.
I took a ~3 month hiatus and recently started playing again after building a new rig. Above average specs but not top of the line (i5 4670k running a measly 3.8GHz OC, GTX 770 2GB, 16GB RAM), and I'm running a minimum of 55fps in 48v48+ Biolab fights - if I'm anywhere else, I'm running 70-120+ fps at any given time.

My settings are all on High except for Graphics Quality (Medium) as well as having Shadows, Flora, Ambient Occlusion and Motion Blur OFF. Render quality is on 100% and render distance at 500. I'm running the latest stable Nvidia drivers (337.88). Latency wasn't as bad as I expected on a 18Mbps DSL connection - averaging 50-80ish ms, and no real noticeable hitches in hit detection.

My suggestion is to do a full reinstall for PlanetSide 2 as well as doing a fresh install of the latest GPU drivers for your card, and see if it runs any better.
Old 2014-06-18, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
ringring
Contributor
General

I recall way back smed said that you could put graphics quality at 81% and you won't notice the difference.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion