Anyone else unable to go back? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We are the PSU. Resistance is Futile.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-06-15, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Vetto
Staff Sergeant

Anyone else unable to go back?

I know I am probably one of the few but I can not go back to PS1, I've tried REALLY did several times, but I don't know if I am to rusty or to use to Modern shooters or even am mixture of the both.

i just all way seem to be on the losing end of the stick in fights, I open fire on some one flank only for them to live long enough to get behind a wall and take me out with pop shots.

I unload on a MAG with a BFR AV build only to be ripped apart.

I admit I probably suck but it never feels like I am improving.. just getting overwhelmed time and time again.

Last edited by Vetto; 2012-06-15 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2012-06-15, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Crator
Major General

Re: Anyone else unable to go back?

Situational awareness and knowing from experience the way battles will flow which dictates the correct weapons to use, were to position yourself on the battlefield for high survivability, etc. I can't speak for the BFR driving stuff cause I've never certed it and rarely gun one.

Some folks use implants to help them survive longer one-on-one as well... Med kits help a lot but you have to have the 2nd sense to know to push the button to use them when fighting.

Last edited by Crator; 2012-06-15 at 03:46 PM.
Old 2012-06-15, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
maskedskull
Sergeant

I've recently been able to play Planetside properly for the first time the last couple of days and like you I'm finding it really difficult to do anything but die. Is it just me or is it inexperince?
Old 2012-06-15, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SirDart
Private

If you are talking about survivability when on your own, best of luck to ya on PS2 also. With outfits, squads and platoons, you will be hard pressed to be able to survive alone.

Consider joining an outfit or setting your LFS (Looking for Squad) indicator on, and get in on the instant action after that, also consider following the lead of others and you may find you can really survive longer and start to make a difference. It becomes more fun the longer you hang out with others and help survive with them.
Old 2012-06-15, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lazaruz
Private

I'm not coming back per se, since I just started to play this game in order to learn the style and some of the concepts before if/when I get into beta. But I have to say the first day I was utterly clueless, I got killed maybe 50 times and accomplished nothing to benefit my empire (I suspect the 300-450ish latency wasn't helping much either).

After couple days of playing, I now start to grasp aspects of the gameplay, see improvements in my k/d ratio and generally have more fun while participating in the struggle for the greater good. Although there are still times when I find myself lying face down in the ground with no idea what the hell happened... But that's weekends for ya.

Acer 5742G: i5-480M 2.67 GHz, GT 540M (313.96 beta driver), 8g RAM, Win7
Large fight FPS: 18-25

Last edited by Lazaruz; 2012-06-15 at 04:37 PM.
Old 2012-06-15, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Phellix
Sergeant

I had two accounts back in the day with only one left with the 45 free days, Problem is, it's only BR 8 and it's make rather annoying trying to compete with players who have everything and dying constantly unless you cert for AA and camp a good spot. I just keep getting frustrated and quitting, maybe if there's were more players but it's just the same people constantly
Old 2012-06-15, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I suck, can barely hit a 1:1 k:d. Sofar I seem to do best in my AA MAX or a vehicle.

I miss the good ole days when I could mow through an entire squad in a tower.

Oh, I did something awesome on Hossin the other day, managed to kill TMACWILLIS' Reaver with just the 150mm on my outfit mate's Vanguard.

Old 2012-06-16, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
igster
Sergeant

Planetside 1 is very tough to play solo unless you have sunk in a lot of time into learning the solo vehicles or solo grunt play. I really don't recommend new players to go solo and definitely try to get into an outfit that tries to crew vehicles to help you get you into positive kill/death.
Taking bases as a tight group with more experienced players may not initially improve your kill/death but it will give you more reward than just following the zerg.

If you find a vehicle you like, try and get a team together. Your survivability goes up massively the more experience you have with a vehicle. Learn the counters and the strengths and weaknesses.

There are lots of type of play - the experienced guys learn a style of play where they get results and they farm it. That when the k/d goes up massively. Some fly (most), some AA Max, some AV Max, some tank and some do tight special ops.

Get a wingman or a squad, work together and your success will go up. More importantly you'll have a giggle working together.
Old 2012-06-17, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vreki
Corporal

Nostalgia have driven me back a few times, but I find the game unplayable without an EU server.
Old 2012-06-17, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

Planetside 1 game mechanics are archaic. No other experience with a shooter will prepare you for it. If you play now, you're up against veterans who have been playing for a long time and have been used to it. Running solo doesn't help, but it's not imperative to run with an organized group either. You can do just fine with the zerg. Overall you just need a lot of practice.
Old 2012-06-17, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Practice and teamwork won't change the bizarre occurances of unloading into someone's ass only for them to take their time reloading, turn around, and gun you down in seemingly 1/10th the time.

It's not crap aim. It's simply that a new guy (for all intents and purposes I'm THAT rusty) vs. a vet is no contest, considering the sheer difference in implants and equipment access. I don't have roughly 200 hp through a combination of effects essentially. In short, I was being killed for doing everything right. I can't maintain interest in a game that will punish me for that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I put PS down for good last year when it didn't seem like I was actually making any kills with my assault rifle, and I didn't care much for HA weaponry. If that's what it takes to kill my enemies, I'll run off to Unreal Tournament or other similar games. Who was it that said, "weapons in Planetside had the same killing power as gently coughing on someone's shoulder?" They were absolutely right... regarding the "bread and butter" assault rifles. I don't care much to get the jump and have to spend 5+ seconds unloading on them. I know my connection ain't stellar, but it isn't nearly that bad either.

I'm sure someone will call me a bad, but **** 'em. I shall embrace the shorter TTK's that will earn me a kill for solid aim and proper positioning/approach, not sustained fire or simply having the bigger gun. Unless my target is a MAX or other armor.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
I'm sure someone will call me a bad, but **** 'em. I shall embrace the shorter TTK's that will earn me a kill for solid aim and proper positioning/approach, not sustained fire or simply having the bigger gun. Unless my target is a MAX or other armor.
Has it been confirmed what the TTK will be in PS2? I feel it now, there WILL be a massive forum war about TTK in the PS2 beta talks!
Old 2012-06-18, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Verruna
Private

I'm a old vet and not having any trouble keeping positive KD, some of my friends complain about not being able to kill anyone in infantry combat. Their lower BR than me, but this doesn't effect 1v1 for infantry. It really just boils down to practice, situational awareness and knowing the capabilities of weapons - your own empire and enemies.

I'm a infantry grunt and tank driver, i rarely grunt out in open fields.
Old 2012-06-18, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Verruna View Post
It really just boils down to practice, situational awareness and knowing the capabilities of weapons - your own empire and enemies.
Ping, FPS, etc... The games net code is so screwed that PS2 will be a fresh of breath air and those reliant on such things in PS1 will fail miserably...

CAN NOT WAIT!
Old 2012-06-18, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Verruna
Private

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
Ping, FPS, etc... The games net code is so screwed that PS2 will be a fresh of breath air and those reliant on such things in PS1 will fail miserably...

CAN NOT WAIT!
I'm looking forward to modern mechanics in PS2 as well, people who complain in PS1 now will just get dominated harder in 2.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion