looking for groups to join - how soon is too soon? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Let the slaughter commence!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-06-19, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
fayk
Private

looking for groups to join - how soon is too soon?

Hello!

I just started playing a couple of days ago. I am a noob and I still have a lot to learn about the game mechanics and such. It was my third time playing yesterday when i realized i could spawn aircrafts and vehicles just like any other players, for example. I am that kind of noob.

So, the question is: if I want to find a group to join (outfit you call them?), how soon is too soon? How soon have you started looking for outfits, and are there outfits that tolerate noobs? I honestly do not want to impose my noobishness on anybody, but playing alone is not as fun (I suspect) as playing on a team.

I am a Vanu medic (I think i will focus on this class alone and will max it), so what i do now is just deploy into a hot spot and heal fallen. But that still does not feel like a teamplay. When is a player qualified to join a detail?

Thanks!
Old 2013-06-19, 05:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Re: looking for groups to join - how soon is too soon?

Every outfit is governed by their own sets of rules. My outfit welcomes basically anyone noob or veteran, others may only want veterans or be of a certain age. I would go browse the outfit recruitment sections here and on the offical forums. Read what the require and go from there. (make sure they our on your server and same.faction.)
Old 2013-06-19, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
PinetreeRoad
Private

Just wanted to point out that healing and reviving teammates is fantastic team play. You are helping a lot.

If you press P while in game it will bring up the platoon menu. Most outfits recruit through public platoons, and is a great way to quickly play with a team.
Old 2013-06-19, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
fayk
Private

Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
Every outfit is governed by their own sets of rules. My outfit welcomes basically anyone noob or veteran, others may only want veterans or be of a certain age. I would go browse the outfit recruitment sections here and on the offical forums. Read what the require and go from there. (make sure they our on your server and same.faction.)
thanks, i will try and do that!
Old 2013-06-19, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
fayk
Private

Originally Posted by PinetreeRoad View Post
Just wanted to point out that healing and reviving teammates is fantastic team play. You are helping a lot.

If you press P while in game it will bring up the platoon menu. Most outfits recruit through public platoons, and is a great way to quickly play with a team.
thanks for the tip, i will try public squads tonight. the problem is i cannot use ingame text chat, and people seem to be unwilling to use proximity voice chat. i had poor fist experience with them, i joined a random platoon at my first game session, but i couldn't communicate with the squad leader - texting seemed a weird and hard way to talk on a battlefield. also, that squad quickly slimmed down to just two of us. but i will give it another try, thanks!
Old 2013-06-19, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by fayk View Post
thanks for the tip, i will try public squads tonight. the problem is i cannot use ingame text chat, and people seem to be unwilling to use proximity voice chat. i had poor fist experience with them, i joined a random platoon at my first game session, but i couldn't communicate with the squad leader - texting seemed a weird and hard way to talk on a battlefield. also, that squad quickly slimmed down to just two of us. but i will give it another try, thanks!
Some pubby squads are good, others, not so good. Ive had some good fights with the better squads and friends are fast made with those.

I too cant get the hang on using text in the middle of a fight... much prefer voice. I find the better teams Ive worked with prefer prox / squad chat over text... mostly.
Old 2013-06-21, 04:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Canaris
Contributor
General

What server are you playing on Fayk? realistically any time is a good time to join an outfit, there will be outfits out there that enjoy taking on new players to help teach them all the ins and outs of gameplay, you get better so they get better. Also everyone loves medics... except those on the opposing sides heh

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-06-21 at 04:09 AM.
Old 2013-06-21, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
fayk
Private

Originally Posted by OCNSethy View Post
Some pubby squads are good, others, not so good. Ive had some good fights with the better squads and friends are fast made with those.

I too cant get the hang on using text in the middle of a fight... much prefer voice. I find the better teams Ive worked with prefer prox / squad chat over text... mostly.
key mapping is a bit weird as well: default keys for proxy/squad voice chat are too far. i had to remap chat to tab. however, i still prefer skype or ts.

i joined a clan almost the same day i posted this (they had no battlerank criteria), and even played a game with them - but i can't say that was what i expected: we basically just moved to the next facility together, and then everyone spread out and soloed it xD

so, the only link between us was ts3 lol

also, the xp gap was really huge, meaning that i am not as sturdy and don't pack as much heat as them, so i basically just cant keep up with them and survive their aggressive play style.
Old 2013-06-21, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
fayk
Private

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
What server are you playing on Fayk? realistically any time is a good time to join an outfit, there will be outfits out there that enjoy taking on new players to help teach them all the ins and outs of gameplay, you get better so they get better. Also everyone loves medics... except those on the opposing sides heh
i play on woodman, i am one of those VS newbies who got into the game after frankieonpcin1080p advertised it in his vids on youtube lol

so far i continue playing alone or with a friend from another game, and it is still fun. i do not see much organized action anyway, i guess soloing it is the way most people go

i understand you are TR your people are heavy hitters
Old 2013-06-21, 06:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Canaris
Contributor
General

i play on woodman, i am one of those VS newbies who got into the game after frankieonpcin1080p advertised it in his vids on youtube lol

so far i continue playing alone or with a friend from another game, and it is still fun. i do not see much organized action anyway, i guess soloing it is the way most people go

i understand you are TR your people are heavy hitters
We do love our Dakka

Here's a link to Woodmans outfit recruiting page on the SOE boards, you can shop around the VS crews and might find one that suits your play style

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...woodman-eu.57/

I'm a Millerite myself so I don't have personal knowlege of the Woodies outfits, hope it helps and you find what you're looking for

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-06-21, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
fayk
Private

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
We do love our Dakka

Here's a link to Woodmans outfit recruiting page on the SOE boards, you can shop around the VS crews and might find one that suits your play style

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...woodman-eu.57/

I'm a Millerite myself so I don't have personal knowlege of the Woodies outfits, hope it helps and you find what you're looking for
thanks i was considering moving to Miller before i get to a higher battlerank on my first character. woodman has distinct VS overpopulation, sometimes we just zerg rush almost entire map and it's not as fun as struggling and prevailing against odds

so maybe you will get to kill me one of these days lol
Old 2013-06-25, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Miller is also known for having more organised outfits. It's a harder server to play on probably, but if you are looking for organised play, I'm sure Miller is the best server in Europe to go.
Old 2013-06-26, 04:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
fayk
Private

Originally Posted by diLLa View Post
Miller is also known for having more organised outfits. It's a harder server to play on probably, but if you are looking for organised play, I'm sure Miller is the best server in Europe to go.
i wish i knew that before i made Woodman character... now i got him to BR20 and gonna feel sorry about the time i invested into the perks..

on Woodman, TR seem to be the most organized faction. when we fight against them, i can't help feeling i'm on the losing side no matter what the numbers are. looks like we're being reaped for certs. i thought about joining TR on Woodman, but all my perks are vanu medic only...

also, Woodman looks deserted lately. from what i understand, Miller is more popped
Old 2013-06-26, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
CapitanCrab
Private

Originally Posted by diLLa View Post
Miller is overpopulated by TR like Woodman by VS.
He will not notice any difference.
Im on Cobalt atm and its way more balanced.
Old 2013-06-26, 05:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
CapitanCrab
Private

also, Woodman looks deserted lately. from what i understand, Miller is more popped
Do not make a mistake thinking that its a fun playing vs TR zerg on Miller. Its not like playing against the odds. Its more like: you spawn somewhere and there are 10 enemy tanks camping exits. Or a common situation when u fighting 80% TR with ur 20% on Biolab. Just pointless.
Find a more balanced server or just do not leave Woodman - its one of the best anyways.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions