Planetside 2 and the Playstation 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How many times did you have to hit refresh to see this quote?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-30, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Planetside 2 and the Playstation 4

[] This is a can of beans. They are Spill-o-saurace brand beans and they have an innate desire to be spilled. It's OK to follow their will. No one here will tell SCE where the Playstation 4 release date came from. We promise.

/waveshand

These are the beans you're looking for.

lol...

Seriously though, it was really cute to see Smed burble over with gamer glee starting at 11:40 of when he all but told us that Planetside 2 will be available on the Playstation 4. I think that's great - Smed is a real person just like the rest of, only with the gumption and confidence to actually DO cool stuff like run a game company!

Anyhow, as a person who has chosen PCs over consoles since the original NES in the 1980s (NDS and PSP excluded), I'm really looking forward to making the jump from the PC to the console soon(TM). I may be a " PC hardware enthusiast" (or "geek" as my wife puts it), but consoles have come so far and my life has changed so much in the last decade, that I am really able to see the benefits of a console over a PC for gaming and media.

So I was wondering what kind PC-like tools the PS4 will have, given how much the two worlds have collided over the last decade. I mean, you can hook up a keyboard and mouse to the current generation of consoles and have an Internet / word processing / video playback device that's also a super optimized gaming platform, so I'm thinking that the Playstation 4 will effectively be what I use my PC for 99% of the time any way (playing games, browsing the web, watching videos... yeah, that's 99% right there!).

Of course, I'll always have my PC to do things like video editing, graphics design, etc. but really even many those things could be done quite efficiently on a powerful console and I guess that's really my point in relation to Planetside 2...

Do you think SOE will market using a keyboard and mouse with the console version of Planetside 2?

Given that it would really do away with the need to have separate populations like they have with DCUO, over all that would be best for the long term population of the game. If the Playstation 4 ends up being designed as a home entertainment center for games, movies, media, and the web (which seems very likely to me), it kind of "makes sense" to me for SOE to say to Planetside 2 console players right on the box, "So... uhh... yeah, you're going to want to use a keyboard and mouse if you don't want to get pwn'd!" Heck, SOE could even make some that of fancy customized gamer hardware that could work on the console as well as the PC.

Thoughts? Beans to spill? Should I be working on my wife to wait for a Playstation 4 or should I let her buy the kids a Wii this Christmas like she's thinking of doing? Let me tell ya, that Wii will put the likelihood of me getting a PS4 somewhere between hell freezing over and Charlie Sheen getting his reputation back, so any insights here would be grand.

*note: post... more rambley and... disjointed than... originally... intended...*
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-30, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Re: Planetside 2 and the Playstation 4

hmmmm?
Old 2011-07-30, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
hmmmm?
What he said
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-07-30, 02:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

hmmmm?
Well, he could have meant that Planetside 2 will be the first MMOFPS to launch on the Playstation 3 in 2011, but that would be kind of... obvious. And, a lot less fun to write about!

I tell ya, that man was giggle like a school girl and my curiosity needs to know why!
Old 2011-07-30, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raymac
Brigadier General

hmmmm?
Despite the rambling OP (it's ok we all do it), you guys up on that panel have the absolute WORST poker faces I've ever seen when the Playstation 3 question came up. Granted T-Ray, you were the best but you could hide behind the fedora. Smed's face got so red I thought it was going to pop. How do I get in on your weekly poker games? I could use some extra income.

I'm a gambler, so these are my reads
Tells:
- Smed: face reddens, big closed mouth smile, oh yeah "next question"
- Josh: Bites lip...literally
- Higby: Sweaty palm, hence flattening his hand on the table
- T-Ray: Wringing hands increases (most subtle on the panel)

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-07-30 at 02:55 AM.
Old 2011-07-30, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

lol

and yeah, PS3 cannot handle PS2. Shit, BF3 had to scale their maps back to handle the consoles.

It's no secret that current console hardware is a bit sluggish at this point.
It's no secret that one of the PS3's major missteps was a lack of decent launch titles.
It's no secret that corporation execs love comparisons: "Halo Killer?"

I believe that's called "the writing's on the wall."

Last edited by CrystalViolet; 2011-07-30 at 03:25 AM.
Old 2011-07-30, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Well, he could have meant that Planetside 2 will be the first MMOFPS to launch on the Playstation 3 in 2011, but that would be kind of... obvious. And, a lot less fun to write about!

I tell ya, that man was giggle like a school girl and my curiosity needs to know why!
I just can't believe that was a hint of it being on a console. That's a whole different conversation, which is on here somewhere.

It's just one of those "Too soon" details. They're only aloud to release so much info over time.

BUT, IF this was going to be the first MMOFPS multi platforrm game, while no other console game has even gone over 70 people on a "map"...it would be a big announcement and would come soon I guess?

I just hope it isn't crossplatform, but I believe that is also a whole other convo
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2011-07-30 at 02:54 AM.
Old 2011-07-30, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

To follow-up on this they then decide to release it on the new Xbox 180 instead, radical!
Old 2011-07-30, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sifer2
Major

Yeah but here is the problem. Microsoft has said they think the 360 is only halfway through its lifecycle. Which is insane but these companies are here to make money not give us the most high tech games we could be playing. With the industry in a bit of a slump I don't think MS or Sony are in a hurry to lose loads of money launching new consoles. Sony already has a new platform to focus on right now with the Vita. An rumors are another PS3 model is coming. PS4 is still few years off at least IMO.

An so if there is no PS4 that means Planetside 2 would have to run on the PS3. Which just is not happening. Someone already said but these consoles can't even handle Battlefield 3 properly an got scaled down to 24 players there. An you might want to mention MAG but that game is not even close to the scale of Planetside 1. Let alone what SOE is hoping to do with 2 by the sound of it.
Old 2011-08-01, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

The game for the PS3/4 will be a space-flight combat MMO which ties into Planetside 2 on the PC ofcourse
Old 2011-08-01, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Lunarchild View Post
The game for the PS3/4 will be a space-flight combat MMO which ties into Planetside 2 on the PC ofcourse
Give this man a medal
Old 2011-08-01, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

He DID NOT SAY "PLaystation 3" or "4". He said "maybe not just PS3". How that translates to "PS4"... that passed "read between the lines" all the way over to "I do what the voices tell me".

Some interesting tidbits from that video:

The regions will be displayed to players as a hex grid. Different regions will be different sizes (examples listed from 1 to 7 hexes). THEY WILL CHANGE OVER TIME as resources "migrate, spawn and despawn" to keep things fresh.

Territories will always have some sort of Capturable Thing that controls that area. We won't be "painting loyalty" by driving over a given section. Base, tower, Bunker, [flag?].

Capturing Stuff directly won't be the only way to control a region.

There's no latice. HOWEVER, capture time sounds like it will be directly affected by how much territory your faction controls NEARBY. Back hacking might take 30 minutes to capture where the locals that surround you might take 30 seconds to take it back.

Squad buffs from squad leadership certs (later on). Ditto for outfits.

Higby wears his watch on his left wrist. Dirty lefty.

Last edited by NapalmEnima; 2011-08-01 at 12:18 PM.
Old 2011-08-01, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Lunarchild View Post
SOE should buy Jumpgate Evolution (and all associated IP) then rework the "lore" aspect of it make fit Planetside.
Old 2011-08-01, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

PS: A former game programming teacher of mine, Alex Ehrath, now works for SOE as a "head of rendering" or some such.

If you see his name associated with PlanetSide 2 at all, you can bet it'll be console related. Alex strongly dislikes writing PC graphics code on account of all the different hardware you need to support. Writing to a single spec makes him Very Happy.

That doesn't guarantee PS4, but it would strongly imply PS3 support (which Smed mentions in this video).
Old 2011-08-01, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
Alex strongly dislikes writing PC graphics code on account of all the different hardware you need to support. Writing to a single spec makes him Very Happy.
That's the major reason why I'd like the industry to adopt a unified gaming platform. The platform could add more processing units, allowing upgrades to perform better without changing any of the fundamental architecture. So rather than having an XBox, Playstation, and Wii you'd have the universal machine that all titles work on and Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/Sega/etc would make games and peripherals to set themselves apart. There really isn't a technological reason why a system like this wouldn't be possible.

Of course, this will never happen, so I hope that the PS4 is a well rounded gaming/media/internet machine.