Gameplay: Naval battle system - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making up words since 2003. Sheboigan!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-19, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MightyMan
Corporal

Lightbulb Naval battle system

This thing has been suggested a couple of times, but I wanted to share my version of this.
Basically,some or each of the continents would have a big lake/medium sea part in them which would have a base or two in them.
Instead of tanks and infantry (which you could maybe drop off at the base, and replaced with amphibious tanks), you get battle ships, aircraft, perhaps submarines and speedboats with a base in the middle which collects fuel (I don't know how exactly would the resource collecting system work, so it would be nice if someone corrects me if I am wrong).
Some vehicles could be:
Speed boats- fast and fragile, can carry 2 troops, has some kind of rail guns/ light missile launchers and good for fast and cheap (yet again, I don't know whether or not the vehicles are purchasable for resources or not so correct me) way to move around in the water.
Battle ships- a strong ship with 6 big guns (4 missile, 2 rail), and perhaps 2 speed boats attached to it for troop transportation from land to base.
Amphibious tanks- I'm not too sure about it, perhaps floats on the water at a slow speed has a main cannon and a rail, and when it gets to base it becomes a regular tank, with some alterations (useful only if the base is flat and not a bunch of corridors).
As someone who would throw his cash at the screen even tough it's a F2P game, I think it would be nice to have an extra "battle dimension" other then ground and air.
Discuss (go easy on me, all of the information I know about this game is the one I saw explained in the alpha videos, and not really based on the first game). :c ool:
Old 2012-05-19, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zekeen
Major

Re: Naval battle system

Don't worry, no one can flame you on this. There's a good reason why, we all want it, INCLUDING Higby.

While we won't get it at launch, there is very very high chance of Naval units entering the game at some point. Higby has stated his interest in adding it at some point. Making ideas on naval combat are a little moot at this point, however, keep that interest constant and don't lose it and it will come about in the future!
Old 2012-05-19, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Purple
Sergeant Major

sunken city anyone?
Old 2012-05-19, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Thomas
Corporal

It would be great to see naval combat on a PS2 scale, it is something that hasn't been seen in an FPS since BF1942, think of what it could be like with today's technology!
Old 2012-05-19, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
DaPope
Private

People have certainly been talking about this since 1942. The ability to have large scale navy combat where you can control massive floating bases.

There could be a central island that can not be destroyed and would contain the capture points. The area would have to be huge so that harbors would be far enough away from the main island to allow time for flotillas to build up. Put a cap on how many ships can be available. Say:

*1 "Aircraft Carrier" capable of landing multiple aircraft and launching several small fast boats. Very slow movement, ton of armor, strength comes from supporting aircraft/ships/infantry manning positions.
*2-4 "Battleships" with large cannons capable of bombardment and the ability to launch 1-2 aircraft a few small boats. Still fairly slow and vulnerable from the air, designed for sea to ground attacks.
*5-9 smaller "cruisers/destroyers" that would have solid Anit-Air designed to protect the larger ships and could be used to transport infantry quickly. Faster support for the larger ships and small fast boats.

There also needs to be maybe 2-3 harbors that could be captured where new ships could spawn sea vessels to make the assault on the island. This could even be based near a warp gate for each faction to allow time for these massive flotillas to build up with out being harassed by larger units.
Old 2012-05-21, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Marine Six
Private

Personally I would love naval battles just one problem with your take on it. Lakes, I would say NO NEVER, If we're talking the ability to be in an enormous battle with hundreds of battleships, aircraft carriers, smaller speed attack boats, Planes and even ground to ground battle ON the ship, Also it would be cool if the battleships could actually sink instead of being freaking invincible! But a lake? No thanks !

~~Marine 6~~
Old 2012-05-21, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DaPope
Private

I think it would have to be a system of "Oceans" so they would be huge but limited to only a few.
Old 2012-05-22, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MightyMan
Corporal

Smile Re: Naval battle system

You know, I think you may be right, if the water body is small, there would be too much of a mish-mash between ground and naval warfare.
What would be cool, is something like a medium sea with several naval bases in it and around it, allowing for fluid battle all across it instead of all the forces raping a small point in the middle.
Also, submarines would be an assy idea, considering how they could just attack ships from below and be impossible to hit (unless they have torpedoes, but no one likes torpedoes).
Old 2012-05-22, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

The only issue with Naval is the fact that the continents are not designed around it. There would need to be an ocean "continent" if you catch my drift completely dedicated to naval or at the very least a continent with islands.

Their are a few problems with having naval units and including them in the same "map/zone" as everything else.

1. Why not just use an aircraft? they can go over water and land. Say you want to cross an island and do a beach landing. You could do the same thing in a galaxy. Not needed

2. Naval craft would only really fight other naval craft. To allow them to fire onto the shore would mean having them basically be artillery which most people are against including. Also, even if you did let them have a similar range to an MBT, yes they could fire onto the shore but only onto the banks so what real advantage is that?

3. No infantry. This is basically tank wars on the water.

In order for this to be fun I think they need to create an entire off shore continent that has floating bases and no land. pure naval combat.

Anything you can do in a boat you can do in an aircraft so to me adding this stuff is really just "for the hell of it" it doesn't really fit any needed strategic area.

That said. I still think its cool lol.
Old 2012-05-22, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Any naval system is an improvement, but outfit air cruisers solves essentially every issue with water based navies... including outfit base ownership.
Old 2012-05-23, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
MightyMan
Corporal

Post Re: Naval battle system

@Gonefshn:
Being pessimistic is not nice, as a wise man ones said: "Don't worry, be happy", also if the idea has flaws it doesn't mean you need to burn it to the ground "Not needed" >: (.
Here's what:
1. Err, what is the difference from land here exactly? The same thing you described will most likely happen on land too, so yeh.
"Why not just use an aircraft? they can go over water and land. Say you want to cross an island and do a beach landing. You could do the same thing in a galaxy. Not needed"
REWRITTEN:
Ground vehicles (there's also some kind of a bus shown in alpha footage)? Why not just use aircraft? They can go over land and water. Say you want to cross a mountain and do a base landing. You could do the same thing in a galaxy. NOT NEEDED.
You can do everything in a galaxy, that does not mean you need to remove everything else.
Also, just give the option of installing anti air weapons on your ships and your done, a nicely populated sea could make using aircraft just as dangerous as on land so aircraft would be just as "overpowered" as it is on land.
2. It will not be artillery at all, logic says that with standard range, infantry and ground vehicles could shoot at boats, just like boats can attack the shore, so you are just panicking.
3.Yes infantry. First of all, there's no reason to limit infantry to the ground, swimming is a good possibility, although mobility should be more limited.
Also, you will not see boats at the open sea attacking each other, just like you would not see tanks fighting in an open field, because the fighting would usually be based around bases, where infantry, turrets and tanks (amphibious version) could take part in the battle. Hell if you want you can make jeasus technology available, letting infantry freely float on the water if necessary.
Also, aircraft.
Well that said, if there's anything you said which I have not properly understood, feel free to correct me.
@Sobekeus:
>: (

Last edited by MightyMan; 2012-05-23 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Angry faces automatically turned to sad face icons and an arrow after posting (>:( ). I will preview next time, sorry!
Old 2012-05-23, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
MightyMan
Corporal

Now, about the geography, here's what.
First if the they ever release this as an expansion, here is what they should do.
release like 2 island based continents, having ~75% water and ~25% land not including bases.
Now this thing would allow some nice and free ground warfare on the continent rather then having 100% percent water, and really making this just boat wars.
Have the islands spread around the map, big enough for boats not being able to attack the whole space but only the shores.
Bases should be placed either on shores or in the middle of the water, relatively close to shore, allowing both water and ground units to have a direct role in base warfare. Think invasion of Normandy.

Last edited by MightyMan; 2012-05-23 at 11:10 AM.
Old 2012-05-23, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by MightyMan View Post
@Sobekeus:
=•0
Old 2012-05-23, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
MightyMan
Corporal

}:^(

Last edited by MightyMan; 2012-05-23 at 02:46 PM.
Old 2012-05-23, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by MightyMan View Post
@Gonefshn:
Being pessimistic is not nice, as a wise man ones said: "Don't worry, be happy", also if the idea has flaws it doesn't mean you need to burn it to the ground "Not needed" >: (.
Here's what:
1. Err, what is the difference from land here exactly? The same thing you described will most likely happen on land too, so yeh.
"Why not just use an aircraft? they can go over water and land. Say you want to cross an island and do a beach landing. You could do the same thing in a galaxy. Not needed"
REWRITTEN:
Ground vehicles (there's also some kind of a bus shown in alpha footage)? Why not just use aircraft? They can go over land and water. Say you want to cross a mountain and do a base landing. You could do the same thing in a galaxy. NOT NEEDED.
You can do everything in a galaxy, that does not mean you need to remove everything else.
Also, just give the option of installing anti air weapons on your ships and your done, a nicely populated sea could make using aircraft just as dangerous as on land so aircraft would be just as "overpowered" as it is on land.
2. It will not be artillery at all, logic says that with standard range, infantry and ground vehicles could shoot at boats, just like boats can attack the shore, so you are just panicking.
3.Yes infantry. First of all, there's no reason to limit infantry to the ground, swimming is a good possibility, although mobility should be more limited.
Also, you will not see boats at the open sea attacking each other, just like you would not see tanks fighting in an open field, because the fighting would usually be based around bases, where infantry, turrets and tanks (amphibious version) could take part in the battle. Hell if you want you can make jeasus technology available, letting infantry freely float on the water if necessary.
Also, aircraft.
Well that said, if there's anything you said which I have not properly understood, feel free to correct me.
@Sobekeus:
This is a discussion board so I was having a discussion you should appreciate my feedback, it wasn't a jab at you lol.

Go back and read my post I said it's a cool idea at the end.
And all I did was say, "here are a few problems, here is how i think it could work" thats called constructive criticism.

Why are you mad? lol

Also, swimming infantry doesn't sound fun to me, how do you fight and swim?
And the biggest difference between land and naval is terrain and cover.
An aircraft fills the strategic role of a naval unit because it can travel over water and in the water its nothing but open air.
On land there is cover, terrain, brush, and most importantly things like trees and buildings that shield you from the view of aircraft. In the air everything is in plain view, same as on the water. On land you have geography, foliage, all sorts of things that change things so much making it different than aircraft.

And you will definitely see tanks fighting in an open field attacking eachother higby has said many times they have areas that are meant for large tank only battles.

I have two ideas though to make naval feel unique.

1. Make ships have outdoor decks that infantry can stand on. Basically make boats like large vessels infantry can walk around on and fire their main weapons. Also adding weapons that allow you to board other ships would be cool. Basically don't make boats tanks on the water. make them essentially small floating facilities driven by people.

2. Take into account waves and make driving a boat more interesting by adding wave mechanics throwing you off course.

You just need to make naval combat unique enough to make it worth adding.

Last edited by Gonefshn; 2012-05-23 at 05:48 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault