Idea for a TR shotgun - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Does It For The Chicks
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-03-14, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Maltalionis
Private

Idea for a TR shotgun

I have always loved shotguns, and thought of a way the TR could have a faction specific shotgun that would fit the TR style. My idea is to have a automatic shotgun that functions like a Saiga shotgun, in that it looks and functions almost exactly like an assault rifle, pistol grip, stock, magazine feed, but (of course) fires shotgun shells rather than rifle ammo.

I know that the NC is know for there affinity with powerful close-quarters weapons, the best know being the Jackhammer, and many would feel that it would only make scene for the NC to have faction specific shotguns. However, with a Saiga like shotgun, it would have a high fire rate (close to that of an assault rifle), and could use 20 gauge rather than 12 gauge to do less damage per shot to satisfy the TR weapon style.

To use a Battlefield 2 reference, most pump action shotguns could kill with a single shot, where as the automatic Saiga shotgun needed two shots to kill. So if balanced in a similar way, the NC would still hold to having the best damage per shot, with a slower rate of fire, and the TR would do less damage per shot, but have a higher rate of fire.

As I said before, I have always loved shotguns, and I feel that having such a shotgun for the TR would fit there style, and be balanced with the NC shotguns. Let me know what you think, or what could be better about it, but please use constructive criticism.

On a side note, a way to model this weapon (Not trying to do TRays job) is to consider that the Saiga shotgun is based on the AK-47 design, so I think I would be a good idea to base this TR shotgun on the TR Cycler design.

(I originally made this thread in the regular PS2 discussion page, but realized I should be here, not trying to get this more attention by having multiple posts.)
Old 2012-03-14, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ratfusion
Corporal

Re: Idea for a TR shotgun

I really like the idea of a semi or full auto 20gauge, with a magazine capacity of 10-12, and fast mag changes for TR. Good idea!
Old 2012-03-14, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Purple
Sergeant Major

this weapon seems a bit OP for any faction. it seems like it could down anything in under a second if your in shotgun range. i understand that you want it to do less damage a shot but if it does half the damage as a NC one then it would do more DPS due to an automatic rate of fire. i like the idea but i dont think it belongs in this game. and if your giving the TR a good shot gun then you mine as well give the VS a good chaingun, and the NC a good energy weapon.

Last edited by Purple; 2012-03-14 at 09:41 PM.
Old 2012-03-14, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
chanic
Private

Pretty sure a TR shotgun is already in the works. In the GDC Demo footage when he's looking at the store one of the weapons on the bottom row is called "TR Shotgun."

Granted, the whole store page in the demo is 100% mock-up placeholder, but I doubt they would have stuck that on there if they weren't already working on it. This probably indicates there will be a Vanu shotgun equivalent too, which I bet will have an awesome firing effect.
Old 2012-03-14, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by chanic View Post
Pretty sure a TR shotgun is already in the works. In the GDC Demo footage when he's looking at the store one of the weapons on the bottom row is called "TR Shotgun."

Granted, the whole store page in the demo is 100% mock-up placeholder, but I doubt they would have stuck that on there if they weren't already working on it. This probably indicates there will be a Vanu shotgun equivalent too, which I bet will have an awesome firing effect.
your right. and there is a slot for an NC chain gun too lol.
Old 2012-03-14, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
this weapon seems a bit OP for any faction. it seems like it could down anything in under a second if your in shotgun range. i understand that you want it to do less damage a shot but if it does half the damage as a NC one then it would do more DPS due to an automatic rate of fire. i like the idea but i dont think it belongs in this game. and if your giving the TR a good shot gun then you mine as well give the VS a good chaingun, and the NC a good energy weapon.
Pretty sure they said they're giving all factions their own shotguns(and sniper rifles). Why else would the sweeper(previously common pool) be NC-specific?

Also, all classes are getting their own chain gun. Albeit, not really, but the Jackhammer and Lasher are not held underhand and look similar to the MCG. It looks like they're giving each class similar weapons, with differing traits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2012-03-14, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, the factions each get their own variation of most weapons this time.

I still favor the melta gun for the VS shotgun effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLJ8PhZlso8#t=1m46s

Last edited by Talek Krell; 2012-03-14 at 11:51 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault