Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is fun to squeeze!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Shields Replace Armor?
Yes! Keep it like it is! I love it! 54 41.86%
Yes and No, Use both systems for different classes. 36 27.91%
No! Give us back our armor system! 32 24.81%
Yes, but only for Vanu armors. 7 5.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-03-16, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


What about a "Let's wait and see" option ?
sylphaen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General
 
NewSith's Avatar
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
What about a "Let's wait and see" option ?
IMO grey option here is equal to the first. Despite the wording.
__________________

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
NewSith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Atheosim
Captain
 
Atheosim's Avatar
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Good extra point, shields reduce the trouble of accidentally shooting your team mates in the back because they stepped in front of you while you were firing. They reduce the problem a LOT.
An excellent point. This is the gamechanger for me. Prior to this issue I was pretty apathetic towards the issue, but this makes shields necessary imo.
Atheosim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Hamma
PSU Admin
 
Hamma's Avatar
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
What about a "Let's wait and see" option ?
That's the "don't vote" option.
__________________

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Hamma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain
 
Skitrel's Avatar
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
That's the "don't vote" option.
Aha! 12,900 people or thereabouts think we should wait til beta!

That settles that then.
__________________

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Skitrel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Shade Millith
First Sergeant
 
Shade Millith's Avatar
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
I have no problem with it at all. It's no different to cod, battlefield and the like. They should all be considered exactly the same system. Regen health is no different to regen shields, they're just different names for what is essentially exactly the same gameplay feature and effect.

Doesn't hurt any other game that uses regen, it won't hurt PS.
In your opinion.

My opinion is that regenerating health makes the game easier. And that's not a good thing.
Shade Millith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Hamma
PSU Admin
 
Hamma's Avatar
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Aha! 12,900 people or thereabouts think we should wait til beta!

That settles that then.
Exactly.

Honestly people get all riled up over polls for no reason. There's no possible way for the OP to determine what options people would want to pick. And to be honest if they put "Wait till beta" one very poll then that would be the majority option
__________________

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Hamma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain
 
Skitrel's Avatar
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


Originally Posted by Shade Millith View Post
In your opinion.

My opinion is that regenerating health makes the game easier. And that's not a good thing.
No. It's not opinion, an opinion is "my preference is non regenerative" a statement of fact is "it makes the game easier", a stupid fact because something that effects absolutely everyone gives absolutely nobody an advantage, or a disadvantage. It makes the game play differently, it does not however give anyone any advantage over anybody else and therefore can't make the game easier.

Point out exactly why and how regenerating health hurts those games that have it, and why those games that do have it would be better without it, explaining what the gameplay effects would be and why those gameplay effects would be better.

Support your statement. The success of the core games that all use it is enough evidence to show that it doesn't hurt those games. Burden of proof is on you.
__________________

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Skitrel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Eighm
Sergeant
 
Eighm's Avatar
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


I voted yes just because a similar mechanic has been used in many mainstream shooters recently and hasn't effected them negatively. That being said, there are way too many variables in live gameplay that will determine whether or not they work well. A lot of people are assuming that it will give people the ability to run and hide in a corner while under fire, but the TTK looks to have been increased quite a bit, so if you're taking direct fire chances are you're not going to have enough time to get around that corner before you're looking at the death screen.

This is most definitely a "wait for beta" issue.
__________________
Eighm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


I'm hoping the shields are like the original Halo you have a small amount of shield that recharges and protects your HP that can only go back up via health kits.
Chinchy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Warborn
Contributor
Major General
 
Warborn's Avatar
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


You can't just pop out your armor/health tools like in the original and heal back to 100% in a couple seconds anymore. Retaining the PS1 health/armor system in light of the fact that there are classes now which cover the healing and repairing separately would be pretty silly.
Warborn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Zekeen
Major
 
Zekeen's Avatar
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Exactly.

Honestly people get all riled up over polls for no reason. There's no possible way for the OP to determine what options people would want to pick. And to be honest if they put "Wait till beta" one very poll then that would be the majority option
I was pushing it at 4 options. Not much else needed that a yes, no, maybe, and Vanu. Don't see what else they could a wanted, 25 in depth options of each possible outcome?

I decided to try and get people going on this subject because it's a bit overlooked, and after Higby said 6 months required to do vehicle animations, well we needed SOMETHING else to take a look at.

For anyone saying "wait for beta" on these discussions (the discussion types themselves, not about the shields- that's a perfectly logical answer) - as we are the consumers of a product, and they haven't finished it yet, it's the perfect time to voice any big topics and get understood what everyone wants, since development is still fluid. The longer a feature waits until the best is chosen, the longer it takes to change out. Imagine if they had, for some possessed reason, decided to add a 4th empire we all hated, but we all waited, while they were putting out features no one wanted. This isn't a typical game, the devs are watching and paying attention, so this sort of poll and post has all been to see what everyone else thinks so we as a community can try and figure out what we want and what makes the game best.

And back on to the subject of shields once more. Truthfully, while I still see a lot of cons in the shield system (as in what I see currently), I think they could easily modify it to remove every con I've listed.

But we really do lack the information on this - are the shields a heavy % of life, is health the largest %? Does better armor only increase shields or does it improve health? Does better armor increase health or shields more?

There's a LOT we don't know, and by getting you all riled up in this topic, I can cement the chance that it will be brought up with the devs and revealed to us next time someone drops some questions on em. Cause we've learned a LOT about the rest of the game, but we're forgetting obvious core elements.

And back to the debate!
Zekeen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
CutterJohn
Colonel
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
For anyone saying "wait for beta" on these discussions (the discussion types themselves, not about the shields- that's a perfectly logical answer) - as we are the consumers of a product, and they haven't finished it yet, it's the perfect time to voice any big topics and get understood what everyone wants, since development is still fluid. The longer a feature waits until the best is chosen, the longer it takes to change out. Imagine if they had, for some possessed reason, decided to add a 4th empire we all hated, but we all waited, while they were putting out features no one wanted. This isn't a typical game, the devs are watching and paying attention, so this sort of poll and post has all been to see what everyone else thinks so we as a community can try and figure out what we want and what makes the game best.
The thing you're forgetting is the devs have played the game. You haven't. So by default you are coming from an uninformed decision, and its rather arrogant to assume you know whats 'best'.

Here's how pretty much every reveal has gone so far.

Step 1. "They did what? Thats not how it was in PS1 and it cannot work in any other way! "
Step 2. Higby or RadarX comes in and explains their reasoning behind the choice.
Step 3. "Oh, thats pretty reasonable/sensible".


Every. Single. Time. With the exception of driver gunning, that's still rather controversial.
CutterJohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Verruna
Private
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Sigh.

Recharging shields are functionally identical to Battlefield. Nothing wrong with it.
You say that like its perfectly fine for Planetside to be a Battlefield clone.... Battlefield is a awesome game series - Game mechanics in BF might not flawlessly carry over to Planetside.. a completely different game type.

My #1 concern from what i've seen so far is over BFing Planetside, i don't want to play battlefield when i load up PS2, it *might* make for much crappier gameplay. Will have to play beta to see though.

Needless to say i don't like the idea of shields in PS - A small buffer shield with armor might be good though. Planetside really needs to retain the teamwork it had with healing and repairing (in some fashion) - quick dropping health/ammo packs seem like a bad direction best kept for games like BF.
Verruna is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant
 
Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?


I voted no, I prefer PS1 system. But I guess everything has to be Haloized nowadays... =/
__________________

Khellendros - Lib Commando Extraordinaire
Squad Leader
Khellendros is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.